PDA

View Full Version : Help with Confidence?

So
24-09-14, 22:00
Hey, I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any advice. I Want to apply for a manager role and I know I am fully cape able of coping with the responsibilities and I really think I would make a great manager, only thing is im a naturally shy and insecure person. I've always been quiet and shy and struggled to become confident and not care what others think and I was wondering if anyone had tips or advice on how I can overcome this and perhaps look confident. It's just really upsetting me because the job is something I would love to do and I know I could do it well, it's just the boss won't hire me because I don't come across as confident enough to lead. :( I just hate the fact that my nervousness is preventing me from doing what I really want in life. If anyone has tips on being strong and confident it would really mean so much!!!! Thankyou

jonjones
04-10-14, 07:20
Hi So,

Trust me, I know well how you feel. Not only has anxiety held me back from being assertive but I also tend to avoid confrontations whether anxious or not.

But things have been changing for me. My confidence is probably the highest its been for years.

Theres a few things I did. By concentrating on overcoming anxiety I have made myself naturally more relaxed. This has been vital of course because if you think about it, nervousness is the oppostie of confidence.

And I have done other things to build my confidence too. One very important thing was to keep a success diary. I would write down the times where I felt nervous in a situation yet I faced my fear and made it through ok. Then I would read over my journal often or think about my successes in my quiet moments.

This reinforced my belief that I could do things that made me nervous then when I was in a similar situation again I felt more confident.

Also things like good posture and smiling have been shown in studies to have a positive effect on how you feel.

Which brings me to my next point. Work on improving your self-esteem. This is done my thinking more positively of yourself. Whenever you catch yourself thinking negative turn it around to something positive.

For eg when you think of past suffering etc say to yourself ¨the past doesnt equal the future!¨ And remind yourself of how youre taking action to overcome your problems and be the person you want to be!

Also make a list of the good things about yourself, your past achievements, and past compliments people have given you.

You can do it, believe in yourself!

Best,

Jon