PDA

View Full Version : Sensitive to perceived slights by others

ARIES34
25-09-14, 07:13
Is it common for people with anxiety disorders to incorrectly perceive slights from others where there was no slight intended by the other person? Are we hypersensitive to perceived insults, or maybe just the way normal humans interact and banter with each other? I constantly feel like people are staring at me, talking about me, slighting me, trying to dominate and bully me. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not completely imagining this stuff... I do think people perceive me as a tad different and their unevolved human instincts will kick-in and they start staring and mocking to some degree. I 100% know for a fact that humans do not take kindly to those that are different. Many people are suspicious and leery around introverts. Introverted personalities are often castigated by the mainstream, while mindless, psychotic extroverts are praised and respected. My personal opinion is that most socially anxious people are highly sensitive to energies, which is extremely draining for us. I'm semi-joking when I say this, but sometimes I wish I was a fearless sociopath.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-14, 08:00
Funnily enough, there is a book called the Good Psychopaths Guide To Success! I read a bit of it when I saw it in the shops and its quite interesting how it explains the traits found in successful people that are similar.

Think of it this way, when you have an anxiety disorder you feel something in your body and start to think its anxiety. Maybe its a symptom you have experienced before or a similar sensation. So we become highly sensitive that way.

The same can be said for how we think other people view us. The truth is not always that are perceptions are correct because unless you are panicking, other people just don't notice, don't know the signs of anxiety disorders or are too wrapped up in there own lives.

When I went to a self help group for a while this was in their CBT based modules. We used to discuss it and the outcome was what I said above.

Its not just us either, think about before you had an anxiety disorder. I remember feeling this more when I was in a bad mood or a low mood.

ARIES34
25-09-14, 09:16
The same can be said for how we think other people view us. The truth is not always that are perceptions are correct because unless you are panicking, other people just don't notice, don't know the signs of anxiety disorders or are too wrapped up in there own lives.

A copious amount of people do tend to be wrapped up in their own lives... then there's the other percentage of people that focus their attention on gossip and other people's lives... these are usually people with very little happiness in their own lives... they actually derive great pleasure in belittling and judging others... this is why the bullying problem is so out of control. I'm convinced some people smell weakness like a wolf smells blood, they get some sort of psychic energy transfer by abusing others. One thing having vulnerabilities, sensitivities, and weaknesses has taught me about life is that most people are shit. Most humans are chimpanzees looking for approval and or power, at least the shitty people focus their attention on these things. It's always refreshing to meet a genuinely decent human being, it's like a breath of fresh air to sit and talk with a decent person. Internet forums seem to attract more of the introverted intellectual types, people that think outside the box, people with more depth.

MyNameIsTerry
25-09-14, 09:37
I'm sure you will meet some nice genuine people on this forum as everyone as trying to help each other.

I guess it depends on the forum, some are full of trolls, some are more for the argumentative but the internet does mean there are a lot of people who act in an unpleasant manner, many of whom would be completely different face-to-face.

Mediums such as Twitter are a prime example of social networking gone mad.

I guess all you can do is keep such people at a distance as much as possible. Many of them are not to be envied anyway.

Some people get a kick out of it, some are just trying to fit so it can be just like at school and you just have to be true to yourself and find the people you want to be around.

Oosh
25-09-14, 12:18
Im the same. Im way too aware. Half of me wishes i could forget myself and be oblivious.

I think males socially tend to have the need to develop an hierarchy in groups. They can elevate their position by crapping on others and showing that they are below them in the heirarchy.

Over the years ive realised there are a lot of good people about though, males and females. You sort of see what you look for. Over the years ive stopped expecting to see the crap side of people and so probably see more of the good.

Look for the friend in people. Look for whats likable about them and mostly you can find it.