PDA

View Full Version : Tips for coping with a long train journey

JoeM89
25-09-14, 14:41
Hi everybody

Not posted on here for a while! I need some desperate help and advice. I'm going to London next Monday for a 2 day training course, which I know is going to be great for my CV, but I don't know how i'm gonna cope with the journey. Basically, I have to get on a 2hr train from Preston to London, then on the tube for 20 minutes, then on another train for half an hour.

I feel ok about the latter 2 stages of the journey, but i'm petrified about the 2 hour slog from Preston to London. The train only stops twice on the entire journey so I know i'm going to start feeling trapped and claustrophobic.

Has anybody made a similar journey with panic/anxiety problems? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Annie0904
25-09-14, 18:58
I have and I usually take some relaxing music with me and a good book. It is amazing how quickly the time goes by :)

JoeM89
25-09-14, 20:21
I'm definitely going to take my book and some realxing zen music. Hopefully the time will fly by like you said!

Annie0904
25-09-14, 20:34
I am sure it will :) I survived 5 hours on a train to Aberdeen. It was lovely to have the time to relax.

PanchoGoz
25-09-14, 20:37
I get drunk on my 4.5 hour journey from Cornwall to Bath XD a few cans of lager and it flies by, chatting to everyone, but obviously not best for you. Yeah distractions, good book etc. are the best.
Train journeys can be great. You're free you don't have to be anywhere in that moment of time, you can meditate and have room for thinking.

JoeM89
25-09-14, 21:38
Haha! Don't worry, I'll definitely be having a few drinks! Like you say, it's not the ideal way to tackle our problems, but it definitely helps.