PDA

View Full Version : MIRT withdrawal...can you help?

doctorjohn
25-09-14, 19:54
been on MIRT for a year......15mg at night.

about two months ago I halved dose to 7.5 and got "stable" OK at new dose.

been off the 7.5 for 10 days now and feel a little more anxious than usual

I always worry now when I get anxious that the episode is going to go into full blown anxiety/depression...but of course, as you guys know, that is mostly NOT the case

whaddya think,is it possible to feel some withdrawals at 10 days even though I tapered for a while and got the dose down low?

my appetite since stopping is not what it has been this last year but I would imagine that to be part of the withdrawals too.....

many thanks friends
John

MrAndy
25-09-14, 20:04
How long did you taper for ? Withdrawal can last a long time but it depends how quickly you came off the drug
Bad withdrawal from mirt usually gives bad insomnia,if you've skipped that you've done well

doctorjohn
25-09-14, 20:20
I have been on MIRT for a whole year.....the last two months I dropped from 15 mg at night to 7.5 and managed well enough.

so that was a two month taper at half the dose

10 days ago (after the two month taper) I stopped completely and I am only now feeling a little anxious and was wondering if this could be the MIRT withdrawals?

MrAndy
25-09-14, 20:34
Comng off any AD will give you some anxiety rebound ,like I say if your sleeps good you've missed the worst withdrawal from mirt

doctorjohn
25-09-14, 20:45
even a well tapered withdraw?

I would be pleased to hear that this was the case, this would mean that all was "normal" with my feelings :)

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

yes sleeping not bad

MrAndy
25-09-14, 21:11
even a well tapered withdraw?

I would be pleased to hear that this was the case, this would mean that all was "normal" with my feelings :)

---------- Post added at 20:45 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

yes sleeping not bad
A proper taper would be to reduce by 10% of the dose and hold until,stable or at least a month.A bit of anxiety is perfectly normal

doctorjohn
25-09-14, 23:16
Ta Mr A :)

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Hmmm...I wonder if itchy hands could be a withdrawal symptom?

MrAndy
26-09-14, 09:28
Ta Mr A :)

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

Hmmm...I wonder if itchy hands could be a withdrawal symptom?
its a powerful antihistamine so it could be but i wouldnt worry about it if i was you

doctorjohn
27-09-14, 15:42
Mr A...two last questions if you don't mind friend :)

you say a bit of anxiety is perfectly normal......even after two weeks of stopping/tapering have passed?

and my final question......MIRT is infamous for giving folk the munchies but since stopping the meds my appetite has dropped somewhat, this normal too?

BTW I have gained a stone this last year :)

thanks for your time Bro

MrAndy
27-09-14, 16:15
Mr A...two last questions if you don't mind friend :)

you say a bit of anxiety is perfectly normal......even after two weeks of stopping/tapering have passed?

and my final question......MIRT is infamous for giving folk the munchies but since stopping the meds my appetite has dropped somewhat, this normal too?

BTW I have gained a stone this last year :)

thanks for your time Bro
Yes it's normal,withdrawal can last months but I don't want to come over negative it's different for different folks
Appetite reducing is also very normal coming off mirt ,it's a proper weight gain drug
Good luck you sound like your doing fine

doctorjohn
27-09-14, 16:30
cheers Bro :)

doctorjohn
30-09-14, 17:22
Mr A......I have tried the search function but to no vain......what about some brief bursts of palpitations, could I expect that too with withdrawal?

teej
01-10-14, 16:10
I'm about (I think...) two weeks into withdrawing from Mirt totally.

So far I've suffered soaring anxiety in the first week coming off, thankfully that's abated with the assistance of the pregabalin and seems to have dropped off. I also had bad night sweats, tremor, brain zaps and palpitations. When I get them I take my propranolol which seems to calm them down. I also initially had trouble sleeping and was given something called hydroxyzine by the doctor which helps me sleep. I've also had itchy lower legs!!

So I think it sounds like you're doing okay. Don't over analyse the side effects or you'll just ended up causing phantom side effects. I've just tried to get on with my job / life and ignore them now.

aprilmoon
01-10-14, 16:17
I've been reducing my dose of Mirt over the last few weeks,from 30,15, and for the last three weeks at 7.5.
I'm still on 5ml of Olanzapine at night,and have been told to continue with that for the time being.
Overall,its been much better that I hoped for,and my sleeps still been ok,thank goodness.
I don't feel as drugged up either. :)

doctorjohn
01-10-14, 18:36
thanks guys....:)

doctorjohn
18-10-14, 15:27
withdrawal week 5 and doing OK I suppose except for a feeling of low mood and emptiness ....been on Mirt for over a year,do ya think the low mood is to be expected after such a long period on meds?

doctorjohn
22-10-14, 18:23
bump for above question.......5 weeks post withdraw and feeling a little low and jittery

MrAndy
22-10-14, 18:38
If you've been on it a year 5 weeks off is nothing,it takes months for your nervous system to go back to normal. Hang in there and take each day as it comes

doctorjohn
22-10-14, 19:01
cheers man :)

MrAndy
22-10-14, 19:26
cheers man :)
You will get better but it will take a little time