PDA

View Full Version : extremly scared I have cancer.

Nullus
26-09-14, 05:23
I've been having a change in bowel habbits, flat stools, oval stools, lots of mucus, yellow stools. Small spotting. Some weight loss. Lower right abdominal pain.

I've had blood work.
I've been tested for giardia.
I've had an abdominal ultra sound.
I've had a FoBT.

All came back normal. .

Now I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy and endoscopy both on the same day.. because I've been having these issues for about about year, maybe more. Ironically these symptoms showed up around the same time I had my first panic attack.

However these haven't changed and I feel like my control over my anxiety has improved significant.

So anyway I'm scared that they are going to find something...

I made the mistake of reading and the occurrence of instances in people under 50 is increasing..

I'm scared of the tests. I'm scared if they find something. And I'm scared of the prep... drinking the 3350 mix... the instructions give a warning that it can cause palpitations. .. and if it does it can be serious issue... given I already have anxiety.. and occasional palpitations. . This just sounds like a trigger!!!!

Ugh I'm scared but I can't wait to have a clean bill of health in a HUGE health anxiety area of mine.

Please can anyone share positive stories with me.. my apt is on 10/09/14 @9:15am... I'll be on vacation that week thankfully..

:weep::scared15::shrug:

Taffy
26-09-14, 09:06
I would say that based on the previous normal tests you've had and that you've had these symptoms for around a year, that the chances of it being anything serious are very small. I'm sure that the Colonoscopy will put your mind to rest.

Fishmanpa
26-09-14, 13:04
I've had blood work.
I've been tested for giardia.
I've had an abdominal ultra sound.
I've had a FoBT.

All came back normal. .

Ironically these symptoms showed up around the same time I had my first panic attack.

Is it ironic or is it related? Deep down you know the answer but your HA refuses to let you believe it. When the next set of tests show you to be cancer free, seek out help with the real issue. Treating that will help treat the physical symptoms it's producing.

Positive thoughts

Nullus
26-09-14, 14:28
Thank you for the replies, I was thinking the same thing about the previous tests.. especially the ultrasound, being if I had something that was serious I'm sure something would have shown up in other organs.

I agree fishman. My job is extremely demanding both physically and mentally. I've had an extremely rough past year.. transferring locations for work, buying our first house, financial issues from said house during construction, dealing with sick cat who has passed.. (I love my cats like family so I took this hard she was young.. 5 years old and diagnosed with a lung cancer..) my grandpa who basically raised me after my father passed away was sick after ND dying. My mom's MS and an assortment of other issues.

It's a lot for anyone to take on in a short period of time, this test will be a HUGE deal for me. Getting the clean bill of health on this large fear will help me.. and I plan to couple this with time off work to seek mental health to help me move past these issues of constant worry.

Although to be honest I never felt this way until this last year.fpr the most part I was an outgoing person who did normal things. Then life caught up to me I guess and I had my first panic attack thinking I was having a heart attack (because of my dad's health issues) and now my grandfathers..

I agree that both of my big HA worries are both things that killed my dad and grandmother.

Emergency Triple By-pass surgery with diagnosed heart disease. Dead 3 hours after surgery.
I was 16. He died at 46

4 months later my grandmother was alive and well and then dead in 5 months of colon cancer. She died at 70.

They both passed in '96

Anyway thanks for helping reassure me, I know I need mental help. To get back on the right track if nothing is found here to be wrong. I've done the CBT course here and I fight my anxoety dragon every day, I guess I'm just scared. I'm 34 next month.

Kclark
26-09-14, 14:50
Hello! My mother died of cancer at age 48. I was barely 26 at the time. After that happened is when my HA began. I will be 34 in December. I used to fear cancer terribly. All kinds, not only the kind which took my mother which was glioblastomas/brain cancer. I have been checked for almost everything I think! I started having blood in my stool so I had a colonoscopy and everything was fine. I think yours will be fine too. Try not to google it's our worst enemy :/ I know that's hard but you can do it! Let us know how things go! Here if u need to talk since I can fully relate!!

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Also I can add that I'm a phlebotomist and we not only draw the blood but spin it and preform toxicology, tests etc. if you had cancer it more than likely would've shown in your bloodwork.....

Fishmanpa
26-09-14, 15:53
Many here know of my health issues... Two heart attacks, first at 47 and triple bypass and second at 54, 3 stents placed. I'm also a head and neck cancer survivor (16 months). I've had a couple of anxiety related issues and know that anxiety related chest pain can be concerning.

That's a lot to deal with. That being said, it appears you're very aware of the reasons behind what you're feeling. Your continued efforts will yield positive results I'm sure. And I'm very confident all will be well with the tests. At worst it's some anxiety related stomach issues that most here have dealt with at one time or another.

Positive thoughts

Nullus
27-09-14, 01:45
Hello! My mother died of cancer at age 48. I was barely 26 at the time. After that happened is when my HA began. I will be 34 in December. I used to fear cancer terribly. All kinds, not only the kind which took my mother which was glioblastomas/brain cancer. I have been checked for almost everything I think! I started having blood in my stool so I had a colonoscopy and everything was fine. I think yours will be fine too. Try not to google it's our worst enemy :/ I know that's hard but you can do it! Let us know how things go! Here if u need to talk since I can fully relate!!

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:47 ----------

Also I can add that I'm a phlebotomist and we not only draw the blood but spin it and preform toxicology, tests etc. if you had cancer it more than likely would've shown in your bloodwork.....

I'm not sure if they did that type of blood work. I know they checked my white cells and my red blood cell count. Not sure if they checked for the markers in the blood or not. Either way my count was optimal and my white cells were normal.

I just know that I'm tired of feeling the way I do.. as you know I'm sure , it's extremely draining.

---------- Post added at 21:27 ---------- Previous post was at 21:17 ----------

Many here know of my health issues... Two heart attacks, first at 47 and triple bypass and second at 54, 3 stents placed. I'm also a head and neck cancer survivor (16 months). I've had a couple of anxiety related issues and know that anxiety related chest pain can be concerning.

That's a lot to deal with. That being said, it appears you're very aware of the reasons behind what you're feeling. Your continued efforts will yield positive results I'm sure. And I'm very confident all will be well with the tests. At worst it's some anxiety related stomach issues that most here have dealt with at one time or another.

Positive thoughts

That's a lot of things to have really happen to you, I'm sure seeing people talk about "thinking" they have certain things you've lived through can be draining.

I find it suspect that I've managed to lose exactly 1.4lbs everyday for the past 2 times I've weighed myself.

Anyway thanks for the positive reinforcement. I'm tripping on the fact I have to drink this gallon of PEG3350 in week lol.

I'll definitely keep everyone posted as this has been a serious hook point in my HA recovery. It's funny how I've been asking and wanting a colonoscopy and now I have one and I'm full fledged panic mode!!! Haha

---------- Post added 27-09-14 at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was 26-09-14 at 21:27 ----------

To make matters worse I just had a bowel movement with small streaks of red blood, and yellowish diarrhea. My heart about sank because this is the first time I've ever seen streaks of red blood on my bowel movements. ..

Just what I need on a Friday night!

:sigh:

anthrokid
27-09-14, 03:05
Have you had any allergy/intolerance tests? Changes in bowel movement can be related to allergies and food intolerance, and these can develop at any stage in your life. Worth checking out if everything has come back clear!

Nullus
27-09-14, 03:46
Have you had any allergy/intolerance tests? Changes in bowel movement can be related to allergies and food intolerance, and these can develop at any stage in your life. Worth checking out if everything has come back clear!

I have not had any allergy tests done. However I think I have noticed a link in yellow stools when taking my 3x a day fiber pack. So I may have a sensitivity to wheat...

Not sure. My first step is eliminating the BIG C word that often times spends way to much time in my head!

After this my focus will be on cognitive therapy with a shrink.. and then working on the rest of my issues.

Honestly this all just feels so unreal to me.. i never knew anxiety and stress coupled with fear could cause so many problems. Physically.

The test you speak of hopefully isn't with the giant Andre that comes down and stabs you 45 times with common allergies is it? Lol

anthrokid
27-09-14, 07:46
Sounds like the Big C has almost been eliminated from the tests you've had which is positive news for you :) It'd be great if your coloscopy and endoscopy come back clear and you can move past that worry. A focus on CBT is a great place to start dealing with the anxiety. Sounds like you are doing everything you can to try and rid yourself of this worry and feel better! Anxiety is awful to live with, especially given the over-abundance of physical issues that come along with the psychological factors.

Some allergy tests are done the way you describe, but others can be done with simple blood tests, and intolerance is tested differently. Doctor would be the best person to explain them. You could even experiment yourself to see if it makes a difference. Try cutting out all dairy for 7 days and see if there is any change when you eat it again. Same deal with wheat products. I only suggest this because food intolerance has very similar features such as the changes in bowel habits you've experiences and the abdominal pain.

Kclark
27-09-14, 15:47
The worst part of the colonoscopy is drinking that crap! Let us know how you're doing. Also of course I'm no doctor but I'd think one of your cell counts would be up or Down if you had cancer. They probably did a CBC and some others. Ask to look at the results and express your concern to your doc. Hopefully they can test you for what you suspect so you'll be able to feel better. Wishing you all the best!

Nullus
28-09-14, 07:25
The worst part of the colonoscopy is drinking that crap! Let us know how you're doing. Also of course I'm no doctor but I'd think one of your cell counts would be up or Down if you had cancer. They probably did a CBC and some others. Ask to look at the results and express your concern to your doc. Hopefully they can test you for what you suspect so you'll be able to feel better. Wishing you all the best!

Yea I'm totally not looking forward to drinking the gallon of radiator fluid flavored with lime. ..

That's basically what it is!!!

Any way this has me stressed the most.

Thanks for all the support guys!