PDA

View Full Version : Craving sugar

Ollie28
26-09-14, 07:04
Is it normal with mental health problems to have such intense cravings for sugar?

I've had this quite a few times where my body has woke me up craving sugar & sweet,

I can remember a few months back before I realised I was ill, I kept waking in the night a few nights on the row craving pure sweet, il go to the biscuit barrell half asleep grab a hand full of chocolate biscuits then throw them down and go back to bed straight asleep, but it's like I'm not awake why doing it, my body is waking me craving, il eat as much sugar as I can then just fall straight back asleep.

It's been happening a lot latley being woke up in the night eating as much as I can until satisfied then going back bed but I'' still pretty much still asleeo.

Done it last night, it's worrying me because it feels like it's not me but my body lacking or telling me something's not right.

MyNameIsTerry
26-09-14, 07:25
Anxiety makes your body work much harder than normal (think of the sweating) so you are probably crazing an energy fix and we often reach for the sugar for that. Sugar doesn't tell our brains we are full anyway, thats more the carbs.

Why not try some fruit? Its more healthy and you will get all the fibre then as well.

You could look at perhaps some protein nearer to bedtime, perhaps casein as it digests slowly so maybe it would help with this?

At least you are sleeping though Ollie, thats good news. If it ws keeping you awake it would be more annoying.

Xantos
26-09-14, 07:43
same here sugar wise, ive replaced it with bananas and peaches and if i really need to a nutri grain strawberry bar, good luck mate.

Dazza123
26-09-14, 08:08
Something to remember Ollie is that not everything is down to mental health/anxiety. Your body might just need a sugar fix, it could be as simple as that. I have been through stages where I thought everything that was happening to me was down to mental health issues, and although sometimes it is, sometimes it could be something as simple as your body just wanting a bit of sugar.

Ollie28
26-09-14, 08:35
I'm going to pick up some fruit weekend when shopping leave it on the side for them nights I wake up craving, il also look in to more protein possibly start taking a protein shake to work with me.

Thanks everyone, your always very helpfull when advice or reassurance is needed. I hope you all have a good wkend. x