PDA

View Full Version : Getting over the "Why shouldn't" connundrum

Natka
26-09-14, 12:16
Anybody can help with this?

We all have health anxiety and fear some awful disease, condition or outcome.

Why shouldn't I get a heart attack/brain aneurysm even though I am young, physically fit etc.? (There are cases where apparently young and healthy people are affected albeit these are very rare but WHY SHOULDN'T IT HAPPEN TO ME IF IT HAS HAPPENED TO SOME OTHER POOR UNFORTUNATE SOUL)

The same "Why shouldn't rationale" applies to early-onset dementia, younger cases of motor neuron disease, cancer etc. etc.

As much as we can reassure each other here that it's unlikely our symptoms are a constant reminder that it is possible and while something is possible how can we remove the extreme fear and anxiety from our minds. Why shouldn't it be us?

How have any of you overcome this dilemma?

devonbevon
26-09-14, 13:41
I guess the reality is it could be us. But if indeed it is either tomorrow a week from now or a year do we want to waste our healthy time worrying and missing out of life? I am scared of getting sick but being scared wont change destiny. Im in the throws of ha again that said..

luc
26-09-14, 20:58
HI Natka,

That is the paradox. When you come to the realisation that it could be you, that you could be the one that shit happens to and that you will never have 100% reassurance is when you can begin to get a grip of your HA. You can look at it in the face lessining the power and control it has over you and the intense fear you talk about.

wnsos
26-09-14, 21:59
I agree with Luc. I'm still in the early stages here too (though today realised something I was sure was going to kill me three weeks ago still hasn't.) It's a really really difficult cycle to break out of. It could be us but it's not, at least not yet, if at all. :)