PDA

View Full Version : Need to overcome fear of blood pressure monitors

albatross88
26-09-14, 14:57
Hi all,

My first post. Long story, will try to keep it short. I am 26 years old.

2 years ago my father had a brain hemorrhage. He was 52 at the time. Doctor suspects it was caused by undiagnosed high blood pressure. He has since recovered reasonably well with the loss of the use of his right arm, and a slightly crippled walk posture. However his father (my grandfather) was killed by a hemorrhage in his 50s.

Ever since this happened I've been scared about my blood pressure. First measured it March last year and I was really nervous. Firs time it was 142/85, then over the next few weeks was always around 124/75.

Didn't measure it for over 6 months. In September last year I plucked up the courage to do it again and my heart was pounding so fast the first time when it came back 131/78, few minutes later it was 123/70.

End of 2013 I went for a health check and again I was really nervous. First check was 130/80, few minutes later it was 125/75.

Since then I haven't had the courage to do it again. Even though I know that my blood pressure should be ok. I really wanted to measure it today but again talked myself out of it.

It seems to be a fear I'm having trouble overcome. Although I admit I'm not as scared now as I used to be. Now that I know roughly where my BP sits, I kind of feel no need to scare myself with a BP Monitor strapped to my arm.

Ever since March last year (2013) I was been especially careful about my sugar and salt intake. I try not to eat more than 1,500mg of salt a day and can have never bought fruit juices of fizzy drinks like I used to. I drink a lot of water and eat a lot of fruits.

Any tips on overcoming this fear? I will attempt do try it again tomorrow.

Thanks and appreciate any advice.

.Poppy.
26-09-14, 20:18
It could be that there is a genetic component, but remember: you have a mother as well and could have easily not inherited whatever it is that makes you more prone to high blood pressure.

Aren't your numbers generally good? I rarely take my blood pressure but I think I usually have similar numbers to yours when I do and am always told that is a good place to be.

Also keep in mind that blood pressure can fluctuate, especially with anxiety, so even if you take it one day and it's a little high it could go down the next.

And, of course, there ARE medications and lifestyle changes (which you've started) that will help control blood pressure. LOTS of people suffer from high blood pressure. So even if you end up having it, it's not the end of the world. Far from it.

The only way you can get past this is to be logical and keep reminding yourself of these things. Eventually you'll believe it :) Also, you're young - if you have a physical every year that is probably frequently enough to have your BP checked anyway.