PDA

View Full Version : blunted emotions?

aprilmoon
26-09-14, 19:23
I'm only on a small dose of Olanzapine (5ml) at night for anxiety, but have found for a while now that my emotions just seem to be quite blunted.
It maybe that it isn't the Olanzapine that's doing this,as I am on other meds,but I've been on them before,and not noticed this so much.
Has anyone else noticed this?

MrAndy
26-09-14, 19:48
I was on 5mg olanzapine it didn't blunt my emotions but did make me very tired and lethargic

aprilmoon
08-11-14, 20:06
Since I've completely come off Mirt a few weeks ago I've been fine,so it wasn't the Olanzapine that was causing the problems.
In fact,I can only sing its praises,as it continues to help me.
I've also managed to reduce the level of Venlafaxine that I was on without much difficulty.

aprilmoon
13-06-15, 16:22
Bump

Davit
13-06-15, 19:59
aprilmoon.

Since it is common for anxiety to return when you reduce meds can I ask what you are doing to prevent this. Is it just the Olanzepine?

aprilmoon
13-06-15, 20:27
Hi Davit,
It's just the Olanzapine I've reduced.
I thought that was most likely to be causing this feeling of not being able to experience my emotions to any great degree.
It's a feeling of numbness,no bursts of happiness or joy(thats what I miss so much)or enthusiasm over anything.
I don't feel really depressed, but want to feel 'real 'again.
When I saw my psych a few weeks ago,he said he thought I should stay on my current dose of 5ml at night,although I mentioned then that I felt quite drugged up.
He said that was better that having the high anxiety again.
I've been breaking my tablets in half for about a week now,but haven't really noticed much difference.
My main fear is that my emotions won't return again and I'll be stuck in this place forever.
I'm also on Venlafaxine,but have been on this for a long time,and didn't feel like this when I was just on them.
I'm just trying to do my normal things and keep hoping for more clarity to return.
It's the numbness that gets me down,do you think my mind just needs to adapt?
Thanks for your reply.

aprilmoon
14-06-15, 20:35
Bump

Davit
14-06-15, 20:59
SSRIs are hard on mens pride because they can blunt emotions quite bad. (ED, not a concern for women) You will adjust and eventually if you do get off your meds your emotions will come back. The whole works, mine did. Your doctor is right, for now being a bit blunted is better than high anxiety. I would take a small dose of a benzo for anxiety before an SSRI even if I could take SSRIs. CBT became even more of a necessity when I could no longer take SSRIs. I'm rather glad that happened even though it was hell for a while.

pulisa
14-06-15, 21:05
I'm sorry that you are feeling this way, aprilmoon. If I remember correctly you have been on quite a complicated cocktail of drugs as prescribed by your psych? Also 5mg of olanzapine is not exactly a small dose. I know that you have been feeling a lot better on these drugs but maybe you've been a bit over-medicated and you're feeling the effects now?

I'm no doctor so I could be totally wrong here but it may be a temporary factor in how you are feeling? It seems that your psych wants to keep you sedated to avoid anxiety but this can't be very pleasant for you?

aprilmoon
14-06-15, 21:36
Thank-you both
I was originally also on Mirt,but weaned myself off them several months ago.
I think you could be right Pulisa,perhaps I did become a bit over medicated,the Olanzapine was a life saver at the time,but I need to start experiencing how it feels with a reduction.
I don't think I give myself enough credit really for getting down to the level I have.
Hopefully as I reduce further,I will begin to feel more benefit.
It was a bit difficult to decide to go ahead with this after my Psych advising otherwise,but I reckoned that I could always go back up again if I needed to.
Is 5ml a high dose?

It's good to hear that your full emotions returned Davit,I look forward to the time that mine are fully restored.:)

pulisa
14-06-15, 22:03
I'd say that 5mg olanzapine is a substantial dose but I'm no expert. It's enough to upset the metabolism and cause significant weight gain but I remember that you have managed to keep your weight stable throughout. However you are obviously feeling distressed now so maybe it's time to think about your meds and have a chat with your psych?

MrAndy
15-06-15, 11:09
5mg is a low dose ,20mg is a high dose
I still take 5mg at night to make sure my mind switches off and I can get sleep for 8 hours
It hasnt blunted my emotions at all ,its been a good med for me although I have slowly put on weight with it.The weight is now coming off slowly as ive started running 3 times a week

aprilmoon
15-06-15, 21:00
Thanks Mr Andy,
I've decided to go back to taking the 5mg again tonight.I've felt rough the last few days after breaking them in half.
At least I know now that I still need that amount.:)

pulisa
15-06-15, 21:20
I hope that you feel better soon april moon. You must do whatever it takes to make you feel as good as possible.

aprilmoon
15-06-15, 21:46
Thanks Pulisa.
How are you doing? :)

pulisa
15-06-15, 21:53
Plodding on thanks! Every day's a challenge but all part of life's rich tapestry!:D

MrAndy
16-06-15, 09:14
Thanks Mr Andy,
I've decided to go back to taking the 5mg again tonight.I've felt rough the last few days after breaking them in half.
At least I know now that I still need that amount.:)
olanzapine is one of the best mood stabilisers even at low doses,I know it causes weight gain but thats a small price to pay for being in a healthy state of mind.I tried 2.5mg and to be honest it didnt feel any different than on 5mg
I am careful what I eat so the initial weight gain seems to have subsided.I also tried quetiapine which is in the same class of mood stabiliser but it gave me major migraines and made me really dizzy
Keep going and be patient,things will improve for you

aprilmoon
16-06-15, 17:42
olanzapine is one of the best mood stabilisers even at low doses,I know it causes weight gain but thats a small price to pay for being in a healthy state of mind.I tried 2.5mg and to be honest it didnt feel any different than on 5mg
I am careful what I eat so the initial weight gain seems to have subsided.I also tried quetiapine which is in the same class of mood stabiliser but it gave me major migraines and made me really dizzy
Keep going and be patient,things will improve for you

Thanks
Wish I'd never messed around with my dosage.
Phoned my doctor because ,to be honest,I've felt myself going down for a while now.
I'm having a slight increase in the Venlafaxine,will now be on 225ml,Hope that,and taking the full amount of Olanzapine will pull me back up again.:weep:

MrAndy
17-06-15, 08:50
Thanks
Wish I'd never messed around with my dosage.
Phoned my doctor because ,to be honest,I've felt myself going down for a while now.
I'm having a slight increase in the Venlafaxine,will now be on 225ml,Hope that,and taking the full amount of Olanzapine will pull me back up again.:weep:
they use olanzapine as an add on to ADs,that combination should work really well for you.Choose a dose get on it and stick with it,messing around with doses will only upset you.I told myself a long time ago ,OK I need meds for the long term and came to terms with it pretty quickly.Ive been stable for a long time now which shows the meds are working

aprilmoon
17-06-15, 18:35
Thanks for getting back to me Mr Andy.
I think I've learned my lesson with the Olanzapine. I don't now think it was responsible for the way I was feeling,which was feeling very flat.
I didn't realize how a few days of cutting back would mess with my equilibrium.
I'm still not out of the woods,but I'm banking on the extra Ven to hold the key of what was wrong.
Had no appetite the last few days and my tummy's felt upset.
Can't believe I only posted a few weeks ago on the success forum to say how well I was doing!
I've been on Ven for years now,and have resigned myself to that being the case for the future.
It's good to hear that your doing so well with the Olanzapine, it gives me more hope.
Do you take anything else alongside it?

MrAndy
18-06-15, 20:48
Thanks for getting back to me Mr Andy.
I think I've learned my lesson with the Olanzapine. I don't now think it was responsible for the way I was feeling,which was feeling very flat.
I didn't realize how a few days of cutting back would mess with my equilibrium.
I'm still not out of the woods,but I'm banking on the extra Ven to hold the key of what was wrong.
Had no appetite the last few days and my tummy's felt upset.
Can't believe I only posted a few weeks ago on the success forum to say how well I was doing!
I've been on Ven for years now,and have resigned myself to that being the case for the future.
It's good to hear that your doing so well with the Olanzapine, it gives me more hope.
Do you take anything else alongside it?
No but I did once take sertraline with it but it messed up my sleep so I ditched it quickly
I seem to do ok on 5mg olanzapine ,I'm not perfect and still get some anxiety but have learnt to live with it
Try and get stable again on your meds ,you will be ok give it a few weeks

Lan69
20-09-15, 13:56
Can I ask does this med stop the anxious thinking ? I'm currently on pregablin and mirtazapine which are controlling the physical symptoms but not the mental ones. My mind is racing with worrying thoughts

MrAndy
26-10-15, 11:43
Yes it really helps with racing thoughts and is great for sleep

gregcool
28-10-15, 11:39
Iv found ever since iv been on olanzipine, i dont have any joy or laughter or happeness anymore,i guess it has helped with some anxiety,i forget now cos its been two years on it 5mg,i was only put on it as a sleep aid and am sure since iv been on it i feel worse that i did before being on it,and have gained 4 stone in two years.im currently cutting it down very slowley..it works for some and not for others..good luck if its working for you