PDA

View Full Version : Prozac

Buttercup
29-12-06, 13:08
Can anybody advise me on how long Prozac takes to take effect? My GP put me on them three weeks ago, for panic attacks, and I can't really say I feel any benefit yet, still wake up with racing heart and all the other "wonderful symptoms" that go with it.

I do have high blood pressure and am currently waiting for a 24 hour monitor to establish a proper reading, as when I visit the GP it is always sky high!

Oh to be free from these horrible symptoms and get my life back to how it was, panic free, any thoughts gratefully recieved.
Buttercup

nomorepanic
29-12-06, 13:57
Hi there

I was on Prozac for nearly a year and it never touched the panic attacks - just helped with the depression.

There are loads of other posts about it under this post so take a look there as well...

Links to posts about Common Problems (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7784)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

ruthb1
29-12-06, 14:58
hi buttercup,

i have been on prozac now for about 6 weeks and i am only now starting tom feel the benefit from it, i still get the occasional panic but nothing like i had before and it has helped me a lot with my health anxiety and depression. i was drinking every noght and since i have been on prozac i havent touched a drop and i have been on other meds before these. the side effects are not nice though, i found i started suffering wightloss, insomnia, and waking up at 5am in the morning and also very vivid dreams, but hang in there for a few more weeks i was like you and went back to the doctor after my month supply ran out and she advised me to stay on it for at least 6 weeks as it is proven not to work before then.

good luck, if you need any more advice pm me

take care

ruth

ksmith
29-12-06, 17:53
Hi there

Six weeks (perhaps 7/8) can't remember but after some bloody awful side effects they kicked in and I felt much better. I kept telling my GP they weren't working and he kept telling me to wait, so guess you just have to be patient.

Kay x

Piglet
29-12-06, 18:51
I took Prozac for some months 6/7 years ago and like Nic it helped more with giving me a lift than it did with actual panic attacks. I think it helped me think positively about dealing with them.

I can also relate to the high blood pressure at the doctors too - one time they gave me a monitor to bring home so that I could do some readings here where I felt less tense and all was fine! :D

I should give it a little longer and then mention it to the doctor in another week or so, as we are all a little different in our responses to tablets aren't we?

Love Piglet x

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Buttercup
30-12-06, 19:17
Thankyou all for your replies, I think I will have to give it longer and be patient and hope for some respite soon!
Buttercup