PDA

View Full Version : Anti-depressants no more

hopey
27-09-14, 17:13
Hi everybody

Long time - no post thread.

After 12 years of a/ds I've kicked them.
Initially I had no problems with them. And then the powers that be decided 16 months ago that 40mg of Citalopram had to be reduced to 20mg. Nothing my GP could do about it. Since then it went pear shaped. I've tried various a/ds but to no avail. In other words I felt crap. I decided enough was enough. Unfortunately still feel crap but at least I'm not putting stuff into my head. I'm now 12 weeks into no more a/ds. Still have problems with side effects, but I'm determined to stick with it.
Anyone else had similar.
:bighug1::bighug1: hopey

nomorepanic
27-09-14, 17:38
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

MrAndy
27-09-14, 17:58
I'm off all of mne hopey,the withdrawal was hard but I feel loads better ,more positive more energy
Hang in there

MyNameIsTerry
28-09-14, 04:41
If you are over 60 or have hepatic function impairment or other cardiac issues, the NHS & FDA both dropped the maximum to 20mg but otherwise for adults is still set at 40mg.

Did you fall into one of those groups so had to come down?

Newer studies showed that it was no more effective at 60mg as 40mg hence they ditched the highest strength as well.

Have you had any therapy to help or can your GP refer you for some?

KK77
28-09-14, 13:43
If you are over 60 or have hepatic function impairment or other cardiac issues, the NHS & FDA both dropped the maximum to 20mg but otherwise for adults is still set at 40mg.

Did you fall into one of those groups so had to come down?

Newer studies showed that it was no more effective at 60mg as 40mg hence they ditched the highest strength as well.

Have you had any therapy to help or can your GP refer you for some?

Yes, I agree that most SSRIs aren't more effective at higher doses in alleviating depression. Fluoxetine, eg, is no more effective for depression at higher doses in most clinical trials than 20mg, yet GPs frequently prescribe up to 60mg.

Anxiety disorders, however, appear to respond better to higher doses of citalopram and other SSRIs.