PDA

View Full Version : Terrified! Was literally unable to breath last night

Orange Lightning
28-09-14, 10:50
Following my clear manometry and impedance studies relating to LPR reflux, I've been trying to return my lifestyle and diet to normal. Doing so has brought on all sorts of reflux-related symptoms. Lumps in the throat, sore throats, burping, shortness of breath, pressure, and a LOT of mucus in my throat. I'm still 100% sure I have LPR, because I always end up running back to my Gaviscon Advance, and it almost always works.

Last night was no exception, and it has shaken me up so much I'm still scared now. I was trying to fall asleep last night, and I let my head fall sideways like always. I already felt like I had a lot of mucus etc in my throat, but I tried to ignore it. All of a sudden I felt like my airways were totally blocked. There was a buildup of pressure in my head and chest and I felt very hot and suffocated. I began to hyperventilate but the airways were entirely, 100% blocked. I couldn't even breath through my nose. The only thing that stopped it was to sit up and put my head back in a forward facing position.

At first I thought I was just dreaming, or that it was to do with sleep paralysis, which I've experienced before - very scary but at least it was easily explained. I tried to take my mind off it and attempted to fall asleep again. The same thing happened. My head fell sideways as always, and once again my airways blocked up. I found myself standing up and immediately running for my Gaviscon Advance, which I'd tried not to take the whole day.

Guess what? While I still felt like I had a lot of mucus, I didn't have a blocked airway again for the rest of the night. Of course I was hyper-aware of myself, and didn't sleep well anyway due to my racing thoughts.

What am I supposed to do? On one hand I've got evidence saying there is no reflux, which means even my family believe I'm making my symptoms up. On the other hand I'm getting worse after disregarding reflux and trying to eat nice things again, to the point that I literally thought I was going to die last night. All the symptoms I'm feeling say reflux; it terrifies me that I might have this for life and nobody will believe me. Are there any other explanations as to what happened, or why any of these symptoms are happening to me?

Sorry if I sound like I'm in a panic, but I'm in a very dark place right now; I can't afford the costs of continuing to research reflux, and I can't live a full life with symptoms as severe as this. This is what I get for trying to have a normal life like everyone else around me, isn't it?

lalouba
28-09-14, 11:18
Oh poppet, that sounds awful :( I'm sorry I can't give much advice on this front but just wanted to extend an arm! :(

You should definitely go back to the doctor and explain what happened because while I doubt it's anything serious, it's causing you immense discomfort and anxiety so needs addressing one way or the other.