PDA

View Full Version : Could my friend be right?

Hears The Water
19-08-04, 17:45
*sigh* Sometimes it sucks being a hypochodriac. I feel like an emotional chamellion. I was telling my friend that I had been having a hard time being motivated to do anything and she told me that she thought it sounded like I was depressed. Man, that is all that it took for me to freak out. I have been having problems remembering things and thinking of words. Plus I have been down quite a bit. Two things to keep in mind is that I have doing some self help work in the Dr. Phil diet book. I am being very introspective and I am not liking what I am finding. The thought of changing and growing stronger is very scary to me. I am also having to take responsibility for my actions and thoughts. I am also having hormonal problems. The worst of my "dark days" it was overcast and I was just days before starting my period. I think I am pre-menapausal too. Just how simular are the symptoms of depression and the after effects of anxiety? Just thinking that I may have depression is seriously stressing me out!!! I do know that when I go out like to shop or to meetings I forget that I feel bad and I ususally have a great time. So I am also wondering if it is me just sitting here feeling sorry for myself. All I can think of is that I just don't think I can handle one more thing being wrong with me. I would appreceate any help you can give me. I do not have the money to go to the Dr. even if I could get over all the phobias that I attatch to medical treatment. So if any of you can help me to sort this thing out, I would appreceate it.
God bless you and yours
Debbie

seh1980
19-08-04, 19:14
Hi there Debbie,

Try not to worry too much - you must remember that anxiety and depression are very closely linked and they share many symptoms. It is normal to feel down when suffering from anxiety but that doesn't mean that you are suffering from depression!! Just try to take each day as it comes and see how you feel. try not to worry by jumping to conclusions as that will just make you feel worse. take care.

Sarah (seh1980):D

sal
19-08-04, 20:29
Hi Deb

Sorry to feel you are down at the moment. Suffering from anxiety really does affect our moods and makes us feel down and on the worst days it does feel like there is a dark cloud over you.

I very much doubt you are feeling sorry for yourself and will be related to the anxiety. The PMT doesnt help either.

Take care.

Love Sal xxxxx

floralgypsy
20-08-04, 09:36
There is a strong link between anxiety and depression, expecially when it gets to the point that you don't think you can do anything about the anxiety. I often wake up in the mornings and wish I could jump back under the covers and hide literally until the sun comes out. Right at this moment I am contemplating calling in sick tomorrow - I've just started a new course of meds and I feel quite jittery today. It only takes one bad moment to start off all the other symptoms - that can ruin you day and make you feel incredibly down with life.

Hope you feel better. Hope we all do.

Laurie28
20-08-04, 12:27
Hiya Debbie,

There are links between anxiety and depression and sometimes sadly they can go hand in hand. Anxiety can certainly make you depressed.
BUT I would look at timescales before diagnosing yourself, how long have you been feeling like this??? Everyone has bad times when they feel down and being pre-menstrual definetly won't help.

How are you feeling today?

Lucky

Hears The Water
20-08-04, 15:56
Actualy Lucy to day I am feeling pretty good. I woke up today excited about a new curriculum that I am working on for my kids and I have been on the computer quite a while. In fact my dd told me that I was way to cheerful in the mornings. I went out yesterday afternoon and had a great time with my friends. It is even overcast and raining today. ACK!!!! Now I am wondering if I am Manic Depressive??? *sigh* Nope, not going there!! I am feeling better. I sometimes need to just vent. Thanks Nic for making this a safe place to do so, and thanks all for listening to me and offering up support!!!
God bless you and yours
Debbie

Meg
20-08-04, 16:40
Depression is not as simple to correctly diagnose as your friend has led you to believe.

We all have down days and happy days. We are human and with this comes a range of emotions that we draw on every day . Often we can experience several powerful emotions in a short space of time. That does not to mean we are ' depressed' or 'joyful' its just how we are at that time .

If you were clinically depressed ( which I don't think you are ) there are further catagories . Dysthymia is what many of us are at danger of falling into at some stage which is feeling chronically sad and miserable often as a result of something else.

Had you been truly clinically depressed you would not have been able to feel excitement today or indeed concentrate at work for several hours .

What did you decide about your hair cut ?

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Hears The Water
23-08-04, 20:41
Thanks Meg, I thought that perhaps it was just me worrying for nothing. I am glad that I was asked how I was feeling that day. I realized that if I where realy depressed in the sense that my friend was using that I would be unable to have such a good day. This friend and I have an unusaual relationship, and I am about to end it. I was wondering if she told me that just to upset me and make me "more sick". Long story but suffice it to say that I am getting better and I don't think she likes that. But tough cookies, I am still going to get better!!!
Meg, I cut my own hair. The funny thing was that I was barely tramautized by it at all. But now it is not even. My right side is longer than my left. I think it is funny. I have not yet decided how I am going to fix it as it is realy puffy and makes my head look like a triange. I just could not bring myself to allow someone behind me with a pair of sharp scissor let alone a straight razor!! I like it much better now that it is only shoulder length rather than to my waist. I will have my kids take a pix and when I get it developed I will post it. Thanks for asking!!
God bless you and yours
Debbie