PDA

View Full Version : Trying not to fight the anxiety

jonjones
30-09-14, 08:40
Hi Guys,

My name´s Jon. I´ve sufferd from anxiety since I was 11 and I´m now 29.

Pretty much the only symptom that I have is slight tension in the stomach. I try to not tense against it. I find that most of my tensing is unintentional, like I do it by default. I feel like if I let go then I will fall apart etc.

So it feel counterintuitive to do so, but I try to work on it and I feel like I am making good progress.

I try to tell myself that my anxiety is due to a tired nervous system and that nothing bad is happening to me. This helps take some of the mystery of anxiety away.

I find that if I let my body sag, my shoulders, arms and tummy muscles etc that it has a soothing effect.

Does anyone else find that they tense against themselves a lot, in an attempt to hold them together?

Best,

Jon

chickpea
30-09-14, 10:08
Really great post, Jon.
You have hit on something that I read in Claire Weeke' s wonderful book, Self Help for Your Nerves. She says the same thing - that anxiety causes people to try to keep a grip on themselves, for fear of falling apart if they let go. Of course, the holding on is a form of fight and creates more adrenaline...and perpetuates the cycle.

Teacup504
30-09-14, 16:30
Well said, Jon.