PDA

View Full Version : How to come off Olanzapine safely

CEG
30-09-14, 17:08
HI I am newbie.

I have been taking the Olanzapine for 10 months. I was on 10mg Dec 2013 and then they reduced it to 5mg 2 months ago. I hate the stuff as I have piled on lots of weight that is making me feel depressed!!! I am on the meds as I have been diagnosed with Bipolar. I was just wondering is it safe to go cold turkey on em? I haven't took my meds for 2 days now and feeling ok.

nomorepanic
30-09-14, 17:28
You shouldn't just go cold turkey and need to set up a proper reduction plan with your GP.

MrAndy
30-09-14, 19:07
No please don't go cold turkey
I was on olanzapine for two years and came off it slowly over three months,my sleep is still messed up now
Going cold turkey would be a disaster,go slow and steady

CEG
30-09-14, 20:46
No please don't go cold turkey
I was on olanzapine for two years and came off it slowly over three months,my sleep is still messed up now
Going cold turkey would be a disaster,go slow and steady

Thanks MrAndy. I wont go cold turkey!! I have just missed dose for 2 days and feel fine, but will go back on it tonight. It's not my sleep that's a mess, I sleep fine. It's just I don't wanna get a set back.

aprilmoon
01-10-14, 15:03
Just to say its much better to lower a dose,and keep it consistent,taking it daily,than to miss doses out.
I read that doing that has a "ping pong" effect on your brain. :)

SADnomore
01-10-14, 18:08
Hmmm. Well, I'm going the other direction with my med (Effexor), increasing by 37.5 every 4 weeks or so. I asked the pharmacist about getting tablets rather than capsules this time, so I could split that in half for the first week or so. (I am hoping to avoid a bump in side effects.) He says it is not available in tablets, only the capsules, but suggested that I take one every other day for the first week, then. Maybe I'll just go for broke and take them daily, as I wouldn't want to "ping pong" my poor brain, lol! :wacko:
... Shouldn't really be too bad. He says 37.5 is a small increase, after all ...