PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming the past

CEG
30-09-14, 17:36
Had my child 4 1/2 years ago. I had a difficult birth. To cut the long story short. I suffered postnatal depression, had to be admitted to a mother & baby hospital for a time. I was diagnosed as having Postpartum psychosis. :scared15: It was a difficult time for me to accept such a diagnosis, I couldn't understand why it happened to me, but I knew something was wrong.

It took away 2 years of my life away. I somehow have managed to deal with the past by writing of my experience of childbirth and writing chapters of my life so that I can pass it onto my daughter and my family. :) :)

I have recently however, been diagnosed with Bipolar. I have come to terms with the medical condition, but not happy that my Psychiatrist has said I need to be on medication long term to keep me well. I am managing my past through creative writing. When I was diagnosed with bipolar I went to an acute mental health day services where I attended for 3 weeks and they did group therapies which was very useful, one thing that I gained was a therapy on Mindfulness. I am now aware of the present and live in the here and now. I enjoyed and gleaned on the group therapy and still actively seeking to learn more on Mindfulness.

Annie0904
30-09-14, 17:41
I am pleased that you have found a way of dealing with the past. Have you started to take the medication for bipolar? I have not experienced this myself but do have a relative who is bipolar.

CEG
30-09-14, 17:46
Yes Annie I do take medication for bipolar, have been for the last 10 months, but I have piled weight on which makes me feel depressed. I have been thinking of maybe trying something else, but not sure what yet.

swgrl09
06-10-14, 00:12
Mindfulness is really a great thing, and takes lots of practice. It is really helpful and proven to work too. I am glad it is helping you.

anthrokid
12-10-14, 04:00
This is so fantastic to hear CEG :) Sounds like you've really made the most of all of the services made available to you throughout your hard time, and it's really paid off! I know that some medication used to treat bipolar can pile on the weight, but at least it has worked to help get you to a better place. There are several medications available to manage bipolar, so it may be worth having a discussion with your doctor about what other options you have and explain how the weight gain from the current medication is affecting your mood :)