PDA

View Full Version : I 'came out' to my boss about depression

lior
30-09-14, 17:51
I finally did it, after weeks of deliberation!

I kept putting it off, but it's happened now, and you know what, it was fine. She didn't ask too many questions, she didn't make me feel like a freak - she was encouraging and kept saying that she was pleased with my work.

I had discussed telling my boss about my depression during the weekend with a friend who also has mental health problems. She discouraged me, I think wanting to protect me from my boss potentially rejecting me. She could see it would be a blow I'm not strong enough to take.

Then I discussed it during my CBT session on Monday, and the therapist could see that the guilt I had over not working as efficiently as I normally do was totally eating me up. She helped me work out some things to say, and said that if it went wrong we could problem manage it later. I wrote out the points I was going to say twice.

I intended to speak to my boss on Monday but she was too busy... and eventually on Tuesday (today) she brought it up and asked me if I wanted to talk about it, but gave me the option to not talk about it if I didn't want to. I had previously told her that I was having an ongoing health problem that I found difficult to talk about. I had to do it without my notes which made me pretty scared, because she caught me as I was finishing lunch.

I told her that:
- I had depression and was in treatment
- it affects my concentration
- when there is a lot to do without clear priorities, this makes it worse
- I feel guilty that I am not as productive as I am when I'm normal

She is happy with my work and said that she always wanted to clone herself to get more work done, only I do get things done better than her. I'm not sure if I said all the right things in response to that... she is very challenging with the things she says; she needs constant pepping up and that's very difficult for me. I have to take what she says about the business and find the positive, rational way of looking at it.

She said she would work out a bit better what work she gives me instead of offloading everything, which is exactly what I need.

I think we will work towards her not offloading all the stress on me, because she's very very stressed and will find it difficult to stop that. I think she might reduce how much she does it over time.

I'm due a review and a new contract, and I have time off until Thursday next week. Just a couple of things left to do before finishing this particular work for a whole week :)

Wish me congrats! I'd put this on Facebook only I'm not 'out' there...! :yahoo:

Baggs
30-09-14, 18:53
Congratters xxx

MrAndy
30-09-14, 19:02
Well done lior

Tessar
30-09-14, 20:41
Well done lior .. .. You did it!!!! You survived and you're coming out the other side !!!

Sunflower2
30-09-14, 22:22
That's great news! A big relief to your mind too :)

lior
30-09-14, 23:12
Thanks guys :)

I'm mindful of celebrating this - I'm not good at seeing my achievements and this is a big one. :)

MyNameIsTerry
01-10-14, 03:42
Well done Lior!

Its good to hear that your boss is receptive to your problems as she's not an experienced boss and this in a way is a good indicator because it gives you an idea of her as a person as opposed to a fully trained & experienced profession. So, she may need some pointing in the right direction but at least she wants that.

Your therapist could suggest ways to improve on the work as well. Honestly, I went from project work into my CBT sessions and found a lot of it was similar to what I had learned in business.

Your boss seems a bit lost with prioritisation, which is common when you are new but she could easily do a course or buy some business books that will show her how to prioritise. Project management and BA tools would be a good start for her.

lior
01-10-14, 13:37
What are BA tools? I think she will have trouble prioritising learning to prioritise. She said she knew it was an area she needs to improve on, and that me having depression would help her prioritise it. I don't think it's going to happen that easily, but you're right, at least she has good intentions.

She's worked as a project manager before and has managed people in the past - she's much older than me, she must be about 40 or so - she's had a long break because of her kids, the oldest of which is 12. I'm not experienced by any means - I'm two years out of uni. I've learnt what I know from a lot of self initiated projects during uni and some time with other start ups. I would really like to know what it's like to work in a big company - big enough to have HR. I really don't know much. I think I just have some good instincts.

Tessar
01-10-14, 20:50
Thanks guys :)

I'm mindful of celebrating this - I'm not good at seeing my achievements and this is a big one. :)

Really pause to take it in because its something alot of us do, underestimating our achievements. Revel in it, enjoy because u deserve to.

lior
01-10-14, 23:13
Thank you Tessar - that really helps me :)

MyNameIsTerry
05-10-14, 03:44
What are BA tools? I think she will have trouble prioritising learning to prioritise. She said she knew it was an area she needs to improve on, and that me having depression would help her prioritise it. I don't think it's going to happen that easily, but you're right, at least she has good intentions.

She's worked as a project manager before and has managed people in the past - she's much older than me, she must be about 40 or so - she's had a long break because of her kids, the oldest of which is 12. I'm not experienced by any means - I'm two years out of uni. I've learnt what I know from a lot of self initiated projects during uni and some time with other start ups. I would really like to know what it's like to work in a big company - big enough to have HR. I really don't know much. I think I just have some good instincts.

If any, this shows that you are naturally adept at it Lior. Many who are trained don't always have this as still need experience before they are any good (worked with a few of them!).

I'm really surprised considering prioritisation and correctly managing resources is absolutely crucial for a PM. How she can't prioritise would make her open to endless 'project creep'.

Something I also picked up from one of your threads is that she is constantly on at everyone as if its all a massive rush and this tends to compromise quality, stresses the team and builds apathy in the team. I can recognise this because I was just like this before my GAD started and then I started to realise just how much pressure I put on others. People like this also have a tendency towards thinking only they can do things. She obviously trusts & values your opinion so she's open to help which is less likely with the no one else can do this type attitude.

BA tools - I just meant that with Business Analysis there are many techniques for prioritisation of tasks. I've been a BA and you spend a lot of time pushing projects along for PM's who are not experienced. She could use the many online resources for such as Lean or Six Sigma which many analysts use, some of which are straightforward whereas some use scoring methods or risk based methods to determine priority.

Richard1960
05-10-14, 06:18
Hi you are very brave my boss found out how bad things were for me when she drove me to hospital (after a breakdown) and i was an inpatient for a week,due to self medicating on drink.

Just had another little setback but do have an understanding boss, they have said they do not want me to go that way again.

Well done to you.

Richard.

swgrl09
06-10-14, 00:13
Wow, you are so courageous. I would be afraid to do that and you should be so proud of yourself. Great job!

secretsquirrel
07-10-14, 13:49
I'm a bit late to the party, but congratulations, lior. I'm 'out' about my depression to my boss and about half my colleagues and it takes a big weight off your shoulders. Being ill is tough enough without feeling like you're holding onto a secret. I almost wish I could stand up and announce it to the whole office on those days I'm sitting at my computer putting a brave face on it, while actually wishing I could crawl home to bed (er... like today...).

If it's any encouragement to others, I've only ever had positive responses to people I've told at work, from "Your work is great, there's no doubt about your value to us"-type things, to "Oh, my sister/daughter/self have been there".

I do like your use of the phrase 'coming out'. I don't know, but I can't help thinking telling people you have poor mental health is quite similar to coming out as gay, (especially in years gone by when more stigma surrounded being gay). It's a hard thing to do, but often the reality is less terrible than your feared.

Well done! xx

MrAndy
07-10-14, 14:01
I had to sit down with my boss today and tell him how much I am struggling with work,he was very kind and said work shouldnt be your no1 priority in life it should be your health.He worked for the samaritans so understands mental health issues
Ive just managed to get in the office and almost do a days work after only an hours sleep last night :(
Hang in there everyone

Tessar
07-10-14, 21:24
Absolutely hang in there. What you said, Andy, reminded me of the day my life stopped. I didn't sleep at all & then went to work the next day. No idea how i got through that but I did. Thereafter followed a long struggle with depression but I came out the other side much stronger. Hard tho it can be you just have to keep going. Keep fighting everyone coz it's worth it.

MrAndy
08-10-14, 09:06
Absolutely hang in there. What you said, Andy, reminded me of the day my life stopped. I didn't sleep at all & then went to work the next day. No idea how i got through that but I did. Thereafter followed a long struggle with depression but I came out the other side much stronger. Hard tho it can be you just have to keep going. Keep fighting everyone coz it's worth it.
its hard to believe you can recover though isnt it,especially when you have severe sleep deprivation.Glad to hear your sorted now :)

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-14, 10:04
its hard to believe you can recover though isnt it,especially when you have severe sleep deprivation.Glad to hear your sorted now :)

Absolutely, there seems a million miles between the good & bad times with anxiety & depression.

But you know what MrAndy, I've been reading your posts since I joined this site and you have always been positive and talked about how you broke free of this and its only been the last week that you have struggled so hang onto that mate!!! :yesyes: Sleep seems to have been what has toppled you so when you get back into your rhythm, maybe you will need to do some work to break free again but at least you will know how to do it and that you can. :)

MrAndy
08-10-14, 10:18
Absolutely, there seems a million miles between the good & bad times with anxiety & depression.

But you know what MrAndy, I've been reading your posts since I joined this site and you have always been positive and talked about how you broke free of this and its only been the last week that you have struggled so hang onto that mate!!! :yesyes: Sleep seems to have been what has toppled you so when you get back into your rhythm, maybe you will need to do some work to break free again but at least you will know how to do it and that you can. :)
absolutely ,even though ive been really feeling "ill" again it was nowhere as bad as a year or two years ago.You learn to cope with the symptoms and anxiety from past experience.I think getting things of your chest to your boss if you are struggling with work relieves a massive amount of pressure.If I dont feel well I now can have the freedom to go home or not come in,I know and my boss knows I wont ever do that but its nice to have that buffer.

onwards and upwards :yesyes:

Tessar
08-10-14, 21:04

Yes I agree.... It is hard to believe things can improve. But they can. I still have nights when for no apparent reason I cannot sleep or just sleep really badly. Today I woke at 4 a.m and couldn't go back to sleep. At times today it felt like I had the DT's. but I got through the day. I wouldn't want to have that happen too often though!
How was your day?
Oh, I saw my counsellor today, when mentioned the appointment to my boss yesterday, she asked me if I was ok. things are improving alot, so that's what I said to the boss. Nice of her to so how I was.
I have not hidden my depression from colleagues in my current job.
i was pretty open about it in previous jobs.
My colleagues have always been supportive which has made a huge difference.

---------- Post added at 21:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

absolutely ,even though ive been really feeling "ill" again it was nowhere as bad as a year or two years ago.You learn to cope with the symptoms and anxiety from past experience.I think getting things of your chest to your boss if you are struggling with work relieves a massive amount of pressure.If I dont feel well I now can have the freedom to go home or not come in,I know and my boss knows I wont ever do that but its nice to have that buffer.

onwards and upwards :yesyes:

You are very right about leaning to cope with the symptoms.
That's been my experience when my depression has returned.

I agree too about getting things off your chest relieving pressure. A few months ago I was struggling to get myself to work on time. Eventually I "came clean" with my manager. In floods of tears one morning I told her I was really struggling & asked if my hours could be put back half an hour to help me cope.
She was fine with it. I felt so much better & after a few months I went back to my normal hours.it made me realise that it is ok to ask for help. So much better than suffering in silence.
She did ask me if I wanted to go home because I was upset but I wanted to stick with it. This was a turning point for me.

MrAndy
08-10-14, 21:20
It's a shame we have to work a lottery win would help :D
I slept 7 hours last night and felt like a different person today,the last two weeks I've been living on none or 3-4 hours sleep which just isn't enough

Tessar
08-10-14, 22:06
Glad u slept better MrAndy. 3-4 hrs just isn't enough! Lottery win sounds good! If only....

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-14, 04:00
There you go MrAndy, so you know that lack of sleep is just something that either triggers, compounds your issues or breaks down your resilience. So, perhaps this is where acceptance may play a part so that you can learn to 'feel' "I know it may be a difficult day because I slept poorly"?

Something I have always found is that lack of sleep really affects me. 8 days straight of it was the final straw in my relapse. I really needed sleep to get me through the days that I was already badly struggling with, so when I couldn't get that I started going to pieces.

The last week I have been getting less and less with the last 2 nights being poor as I couldn't even get off too sleep despite being tired. I have found that it is not affecting my anxiety or mood like it used to, I just feel a bit rotten with headaches & a bit queesy here & there. I feel a bit more resilience though and this seems to be important as I'm coping better as I'm just not feeling great as opposed to feeling dread as well.

So, its a good indication of why its not all about symptoms as thoughts hold power too...if I had been low & anxious about not sleeping, I would be feeling a lot worse just like I used to.

lior
09-10-14, 11:42
It's a shame we have to work a lottery win would help :D
I slept 7 hours last night and felt like a different person today,the last two weeks I've been living on none or 3-4 hours sleep which just isn't enough

Haha actually I was thinking the other day, it would be great if every depressed person could be given a part time job to earn enough money to live. I struggled to find work since being depressed. I have this job with a start up but it's stressful so it's not ideal. Being made redundant with no job to go to for a couple of months was a huge strain on me - if there was a system where I knew I could keep earning and not eat in to my savings, even if it was a fairly boring job and just part time, that would be great.

It would be amazing to have a simple job, with low pressure, a supportive environment, and be able to determine the hours I want to.

---------- Post added at 11:42 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

If any, this shows that you are naturally adept at it Lior. Many who are trained don't always have this as still need experience before they are any good (worked with a few of them!).

I'm really surprised considering prioritisation and correctly managing resources is absolutely crucial for a PM. How she can't prioritise would make her open to endless 'project creep'.

Something I also picked up from one of your threads is that she is constantly on at everyone as if its all a massive rush and this tends to compromise quality, stresses the team and builds apathy in the team. I can recognise this because I was just like this before my GAD started and then I started to realise just how much pressure I put on others. People like this also have a tendency towards thinking only they can do things. She obviously trusts & values your opinion so she's open to help which is less likely with the no one else can do this type attitude.

BA tools - I just meant that with Business Analysis there are many techniques for prioritisation of tasks. I've been a BA and you spend a lot of time pushing projects along for PM's who are not experienced. She could use the many online resources for such as Lean or Six Sigma which many analysts use, some of which are straightforward whereas some use scoring methods or risk based methods to determine priority.

Thanks so much for this. I've just started back after a week off where I've been very ill for half of it - and I don't think she's quite got her act together. After hello how are you today, she launched in to telling me about a load of stuff that she has to do, irrelevant to me... everything is an urgent priority! Crazy.

You're totally right:
endless project creep
it's a rush
quality compromised
team stress
apathy
feels like she has to do everything to do it properly (but thankfully she feels like she can delegate certain things to me)

I used to work in an Agile way with my team - we kept each other in check. I'll have a look at Six Stigma, haven't heard of it before. Lean is similar to Agile from what I understand, but there's more diagramming.

When I feel a bit stronger, I'm going to try to introduce her to these BA/PM ideas. I'm still recovering from a stomach bug as well as being in the haze of depression sometimes. So I'm not always assertive enough to push things with her.

Having said that, while being ill, I've stopped caring so much about perfection and beauty in everything I do. Caring less = more happiness :)

MrAndy
09-10-14, 11:46
Haha actually I was thinking the other day, it would be great if every depressed person could be given a part time job to earn enough money to live. I struggled to find work since being depressed. I have this job with a start up but it's stressful so it's not ideal. Being made redundant with no job to go to for a couple of months was a huge strain on me - if there was a system where I knew I could keep earning and not eat in to my savings, even if it was a fairly boring job and just part time, that would be great.

It would be amazing to have a simple job, with low pressure, a supportive environment, and be able to determine the hours I want to.
I have actually thought about going part time where I work ,it would mean making some sacrifices financially but I could live with that.My wife thinks its a bad idea because spending more time at home would be bad for my mental health and that I would also try and do a full time job in part time hours.Getting the right work/life balance is hard especially if you suffer anxiety and depression.My boss telling me to just go home when i am struggling was a big pressure relief for me.I wont go home but I know its not going to cause me to loose my job if I get very bad
Being honest with your work colleagues and close friends is the right thing to do :)

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-14, 05:27
Thanks so much for this. I've just started back after a week off where I've been very ill for half of it - and I don't think she's quite got her act together. After hello how are you today, she launched in to telling me about a load of stuff that she has to do, irrelevant to me... everything is an urgent priority! Crazy.

You're totally right:
endless project creep
it's a rush
quality compromised
team stress
apathy
feels like she has to do everything to do it properly (but thankfully she feels like she can delegate certain things to me)

I used to work in an Agile way with my team - we kept each other in check. I'll have a look at Six Stigma, haven't heard of it before. Lean is similar to Agile from what I understand, but there's more diagramming.

When I feel a bit stronger, I'm going to try to introduce her to these BA/PM ideas. I'm still recovering from a stomach bug as well as being in the haze of depression sometimes. So I'm not always assertive enough to push things with her.

Having said that, while being ill, I've stopped caring so much about perfection and beauty in everything I do. Caring less = more happiness :)

I've worked in PRINCE and Agile styles and to be honest, I prefer Agile. I'm more of a Continuous Improvement person really so had more say in determining the scope and then seeing it through (which is why I preferred it as there was no handing over to other project teams just because its 'protocol'). Agile is now combined with PRINCE in PMI's training catalogue. Its much easier, quicker and it doesn't have meetings for the sake of meetings which PRINCE is poor for.

Six Sigma and Lean combine very easily, in fact there is Lean Six Sigma. Six Sigma is pretty complicated compared to other styles as its full or mathematical methods but you don't need to use all this. I used to take the elements I needed. I've worked for a fair few PM's and many say they do this as following a rigid project structure is too long winded (I suspect they were referring to PRINCE which can be like this). Many of the techniques in Six Sigma are diagramatical but this is useful as it can be displayed to show the team what to do and what is going on.

The Lean Six Sigma books on Amazon are good. I picked up a few of the tips, tools & techniques type ones. These are less concerned with the whole project and more interested in briefly explaining what a tool does, when & why you should use it. They are quite handy to dip into.

She sounds like she is heading for burnout. Some people thrive on it, as I did, but she could hit the wall and end up with an anxiety disorder. She really does need to learn how to trust others. I would be wary of her putting too much on you as that will be her tendency.

Perhaps an angle to look at is how you won her round? I wonder if she would show the same trust to others if she saw what she could get from them by taking your approach? Perhaps worth a go. She will end up pushing people away though if she doesn't correct her attitude to this.

The whole "Hi, how are you? Anyway this is what I have been doing" and how she talks about things that are not relevant to you at all could mean several things such as arrogance, ignorance or just that she is always working at 200mph and thinks everyone else is as interested. Pulling the rug from under her with a combination of techniques and changing her perception of others might work wonders for her.

expecto patronum
11-10-14, 20:39
Well done lior, you are awesome :). You sound a bit like me that you have such high standards for yourself and get frustrated when things get in the way of doing everything 'right'. You sound like you do an amazing job, your boss is lucky to have you.

lior
13-10-14, 14:09
I've worked in PRINCE and Agile styles and to be honest, I prefer Agile. I'm more of a Continuous Improvement person really so had more say in determining the scope and then seeing it through (which is why I preferred it as there was no handing over to other project teams just because its 'protocol'). Agile is now combined with PRINCE in PMI's training catalogue. Its much easier, quicker and it doesn't have meetings for the sake of meetings which PRINCE is poor for.

Six Sigma and Lean combine very easily, in fact there is Lean Six Sigma. Six Sigma is pretty complicated compared to other styles as its full or mathematical methods but you don't need to use all this. I used to take the elements I needed. I've worked for a fair few PM's and many say they do this as following a rigid project structure is too long winded (I suspect they were referring to PRINCE which can be like this). Many of the techniques in Six Sigma are diagramatical but this is useful as it can be displayed to show the team what to do and what is going on.

The Lean Six Sigma books on Amazon are good. I picked up a few of the tips, tools & techniques type ones. These are less concerned with the whole project and more interested in briefly explaining what a tool does, when & why you should use it. They are quite handy to dip into.

She sounds like she is heading for burnout. Some people thrive on it, as I did, but she could hit the wall and end up with an anxiety disorder. She really does need to learn how to trust others. I would be wary of her putting too much on you as that will be her tendency.

Perhaps an angle to look at is how you won her round? I wonder if she would show the same trust to others if she saw what she could get from them by taking your approach? Perhaps worth a go. She will end up pushing people away though if she doesn't correct her attitude to this.

The whole "Hi, how are you? Anyway this is what I have been doing" and how she talks about things that are not relevant to you at all could mean several things such as arrogance, ignorance or just that she is always working at 200mph and thinks everyone else is as interested. Pulling the rug from under her with a combination of techniques and changing her perception of others might work wonders for her.

Hi Terry. This is all really useful info, thanks very much. You're like my NMP work mentor! I've looked up Lean Six Stigma - seems to be in essence about making decisions based on what will give results according to the data. It's basically a commitment to decision making informed with data, rather than following your gut instinct. Right?

I think gut instincts are useful sometimes but we certainly could be looking at data more, and setting clear achievable goals for particular measurements.

I think she wants a collaborator to bounce everything off, and I have to remind myself that I do not need to take responsibility for every task she tells me about.

I think she doesn't really understand what the programmers do, and how long it takes to make stuff happen, so she dumps too many ideas on them. That's where her knowing a bit about Agile would really help - but I don't know enough to tell her myself.

I think she just works at 200mph and thinks everyone else is interested. The drive in her head is so loud that it drowns out everything else - that's the impression I get. I think she is feeling low and anxious already.

I'm trying to satisfy so many tasks she gives me, that I'm not making time for strategising, setting measurable goals etc, which I know needs to be done. She's not prioritising it so it's not getting done. She probably doesn't understand the value it's going to have.

I don't feel clear headed enough to manage this situation well - to be assertive and make the right calls too. I've just come out of a CBT session and I'm totally overwhelmed. I need to continue to ask her to just set me my priorities and not tell me about all the other stuff she has to do. In time I hope that I will have clearer ideas. I might even be able to carve out enough time to read up thoroughly on Six Stigma, Lean and Agile.

---------- Post added at 14:09 ---------- Previous post was at 14:08 ----------

Well done lior, you are awesome :). You sound a bit like me that you have such high standards for yourself and get frustrated when things get in the way of doing everything 'right'. You sound like you do an amazing job, your boss is lucky to have you.

Thanks so much for the vote of confidence :) sounds like you know exactly where I'm coming from!

MyNameIsTerry
14-10-14, 05:47
Hi Terry. This is all really useful info, thanks very much. You're like my NMP work mentor! I've looked up Lean Six Stigma - seems to be in essence about making decisions based on what will give results according to the data. It's basically a commitment to decision making informed with data, rather than following your gut instinct. Right?

I think gut instincts are useful sometimes but we certainly could be looking at data more, and setting clear achievable goals for particular measurements.

I think she wants a collaborator to bounce everything off, and I have to remind myself that I do not need to take responsibility for every task she tells me about.

I think she doesn't really understand what the programmers do, and how long it takes to make stuff happen, so she dumps too many ideas on them. That's where her knowing a bit about Agile would really help - but I don't know enough to tell her myself.

I think she just works at 200mph and thinks everyone else is interested. The drive in her head is so loud that it drowns out everything else - that's the impression I get. I think she is feeling low and anxious already.

I'm trying to satisfy so many tasks she gives me, that I'm not making time for strategising, setting measurable goals etc, which I know needs to be done. She's not prioritising it so it's not getting done. She probably doesn't understand the value it's going to have.

I don't feel clear headed enough to manage this situation well - to be assertive and make the right calls too. I've just come out of a CBT session and I'm totally overwhelmed. I need to continue to ask her to just set me my priorities and not tell me about all the other stuff she has to do. In time I hope that I will have clearer ideas. I might even be able to carve out enough time to read up thoroughly on Six Stigma, Lean and Agile.[COLOR="blue"]

If I can help Lior, I'm glad. It helps me as well knowing I can be useful!

Yes, SS & LSS are all about obtaining data, running it through various equations & models, running pilots, etc. However, not every project allows for this but SS & LSS include a load of tools in the earlier stages of DMAIC such as tree diagrams, Critical-To-Quality (CTQ), PDPC, SIPOC, various forms of matrices, etc. There are loads. These help break down the areas of the project that mean the most because they they look for critical factors and likely outcomes. I think these alone will help her to seperate the most critical features of her projects and allow her to prioritise them. There are various tools that also look at risk including such as brand damage such as FMEA which are useful to her. If you need an idea of what to look for, I can probably pull you out a list of diagramatical tools. There are fairly cheap books on Amazon that are good for dipping in & out of. SS & LSS are very complicated projects if you work at Black Belt level but you may not need this so don't need years of training & experience. Just reading what the tools do will likely trigger ideas of how to use them. I was introduced through my workplace and I just bought this book to get me started http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lean-Six-Sigma-Pocket-Toolbook/dp/0071441190/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413260967&sr=1-2&keywords=lean+six+sigma.

There are also strategic tools such as House Of Quality (QFD) and tools that look at specific stategic areas of the business. QFD does this through the weights & measures method. There are loads of smaller tools like this:

http://www.amsup.com/images/strategy_house.gif

You can use a QFD for a specific product as well, Google them as there are loads of examples in the images section if you want a quick look. They are not as complicated as they look because you compile them in sections and the characters & arrows stuff is not always needed, but its a good way to rank objectives against each other. LSS & SS is big on comparison work.

Its seems she has missed out on one of the basics of understanding her business by not spending time with each job role to understand it. So, she can't risk plan or manage projects properly because she doesn't understand how things work. There are even tools in SS & LSS for this that measure times of individual elements of processes. She could spend time with them and knock up a Value Stream MAP:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/ValueStreamMapParts.png

VSM are one of the early things you do because they allow you to see at a glance where the problems lie. If she is finding big delays, do one of these and it shows you where the delay lies and then you know what processes are open for improvement, new equipment, more resources, etc. There are pretty simple to do.

Its more like Agile, you don't need a restrictive structure like in PRINCE as LSS & SS are more about getting it done and projects can be tiny or massive.

Have you considered your role in this company which sounds small? You sounds like you are acting a director. Its going to be good on the cv at some point but don't kill yourself doing it, your health comes first.