PDA

View Full Version : weight and anxiety

Pet59
02-10-14, 08:30
Just a question rather than a concern.

I am about 2.5 stones overweight. No matter what I do, it will not shift. I really do not eat an awful lot, I avoid sweet things, I do like my wine and when I eat, I eat well. I cook EVERYTHING from scratch so I know what goes into it.

Sometimes, if I eat something, literally 10 minutes later I run to the toilet and there is a complete evacuation. Yesterday it was a scoop of choc ice cream after lunch. Evening I was fine. Most days everything is OK. I went to the doctor years ago, maybe 10/12 years ago about the running issue and he said I possibly had a touch of IBS. I get a small bit of fresh blood on occasions but I think/know this is possibly from straining.

So, can anxiety hold on to weight? Does anxiety cause your body to shut down in certain areas and hold on to fat? What can I do to get this weight off? My friend is suggesting I have an intolerance to something.

nomorepanic
02-10-14, 12:40
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

MyNameIsTerry
03-10-14, 05:06
Anxiety means you have more cortisol released and this is known to cause weight gain which is most prevalent around the waiste.

Tackling cortisol is just tackling anxiety though and by being more relaxed & calm you will have less cortisol released. Meditation is supposed to be very good for regulation of cortisol so perhaps try Mindfulness.

Exercise is an obvious one here and Mindfulness exists in certain forms if you want to even try them e.g. Tai Chi or QiGong.

Cortisol is part of the exercise process anyway so perhaps more exercise will help with regulation? I'm less sure on this as I've not looked into it but perhaps you Google it?

IBS is a possibility for this. I think I have heard of something called Gastric Emptying which may be relevant as well so perhaps worth some research?

You could try probiotics as well. I have started using basic ones and found my digestion is better and I don't feel the need to go after meals as much as I did despite experiencing periods of higher anxiety. I was reading some of the reviews of probiotic supplements on Amazon and some of the customers were taking for their IBS as nothing prescribed by their doctors had worked and they gave probiotics good reviews which is a good indicator that they can help.