PDA

View Full Version : Does Jerking (Spasms) come with Panic/Anxiety?

JustBenn
03-10-14, 00:14
Hi, I'm just worried that I'm alone in this!

I woke up last night with a floating sensation in my head, and to the realisation of me dribbling, (I don't remember what I was dreaming about) When I woke up I realised I was drenched in sweat, I started to get scared that it was a seizure, and I was checking if I bit my tongue, or lost bladder control, I didn't, but still started to feel panicky, when awake my whole body was jerking every few seconds, like I had the hiccups, I'm 21, and I was so scared of what was happening, I felt like waking my mum up, but it went away after a few minutes,

I was fully aware and awake of the continuous jerking, I even went the toilet while it was happening!

Does jerking (spasms) happen when frightened? Has anyone had this before?

Please help!

Serenity1990
03-10-14, 00:17
Yup, this is an anxiety thing. Especially when sleepy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

JustBenn
03-10-14, 00:50
Yup, this is an anxiety thing. Especially when sleepy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

Hi, thanks for replying, :) I have no one to talk to!

I was just scared because the jerking lasted for 4 minutes, I could not get back to sleep until 2 hours later because I was going over and over in my head on what the heck just happen!

I feel like i'm the only one who had this experience!

JustBenn
03-10-14, 15:50
Hi,

I'm still worried, anyone else have had these when anxious?

Firedragon
03-10-14, 16:40
Yes most mornings at the min they are the anxiety and adrenalin wanting an out so it makes you jerk and twitch nothing to be afraid of thousands and thousands of people get the exact same thing every day

sledgehammer
03-10-14, 23:27
Yip,

Had a massive one of these a few weeks ago the morning before going to get checked out by the doctor, it was intense to say the least, I honestly thought I was having a fit, a lot of big shakes and jerking that where uncontrollable that lasted for about 5-10 minutes and like others have said, it was after waking up on the couch down stairs as I couldn't sleep, it's just all the pent up fight or flight chemicals releasing that have been stored up due to anxiety, I was a lot more calm later that day than I had been in a while, the chemicals/adrenaline had gotten out, then the next day I started building them up again!! :doh: