PDA

View Full Version : not alone!

tinytim
30-12-06, 11:13
Hello All, I am a 30yo male from the beautiful mountains of Colorado, (see lots of snow right now). I was thilled when I saw this Forum, and realised that there are a LOT of people who are suffering through this same stuff.

I am 6'4 275 lbs, and, up until this whole panic attack stuff, was a lifetime natural (no steroids) Powerlifter. Up until the attack I was running 3 days a week about 2-3 miles, and strength training 3 days a week. Now I can't even lift a shovel of snow without thinking I am having a Heart Attack.

Here I am again at 3:30 am sitting on my couch after what I hope was another brutal panic attack.

This all started 2 months ago when I was rushed to the Emergency room in an ambulence after the local MD's thought I was having a heart attack. My BP skyrocketed to 200/120 I had chest pains, numbness/ prickly/tingly feelings all over and I felt like I was detached from my own body. It was terrifying.

At the hospital all the blood tests came back normal the 5 ecg's they took looked normal, and the chest X ray looked normal. I wa released to go home and relax.

Today represented the 3rd attack since the first one. Today it happened after shoveling snow. I was out for about 90mins, taking it easy, checking my heart rate regularly, and I kept it under 120bpm.

One of my neighbors made mention of how you have to watch it when shoveling snow, if you are not careful you can have a heart attack! I shrugged it off and finished up the shoveling.

After the shoveling I felt a bit of anxiety and tried to control my breathing and even sat down and worked on a puzzle to take my mind off of the tightness in my chest. A full 4 hours after shoveling the snow I suddenly dectide that something else is wrong. My chest is getting sore it is so tight, there is a burning sensation in my back and my arm is beginning to feel both sore and numb at the same time I asked my wife to take me to the hospital because I was sure I was having a Heart Attack.

She noted that there was 3 feet of snow on the road and that we were not going anywhere, that did not help. I popped 4 asprin and 1mg Ativan. After about 20 minutes and a hot shower I felt much better.
but still tight, sore and feeling like I had just gone a couple of rounds with the camp.

Here I am 12 hours after the episode, and I am still rather sore,
Is this normal? I did some searching and it seems this to be the case for many panic sufferers. I don't think I had a heart attack today. I suppose there is a potential for some angina, but does that happen 4 hours AFTER physical activity?

Thanks for listenting,
Tim

We're tiny, we'er toony, we're all a lttle loony

trac67
30-12-06, 11:56
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Try the following link which is all about the first steps to overcoming anxiety/panic :

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

manmoor
30-12-06, 12:08
Hi Tim,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

deedee
30-12-06, 12:33
Hi Tim

Am also new to this forum and have experienced all the symptoms you describe - Have been to the emergency room twice with a suspected heart attack and all the tests came back ok.

Yesterday my chest was tight and sore all day following a panic attack the night before, just felt as though I had a knot in the centre of my chest but I feel much better today.

Am currently waiting to go to a routine cardio appointment but being able to read about other peoples experieces has helped me feel less alone and scarted.

I really do understand how you feel and hope all goes well for you.

Dee Dee

nomorepanic
30-12-06, 14:51
Hi Tim

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

Hope we can be of some help.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

candie
31-12-06, 01:28
Hi tim,

All your symptoms are typical anxiety and panic attacks.Youre not alone here,we all help each other.

You will find good advice and reassurance here so dont be afraid to tell us whats on your mind...

Take care,Candie xx

keepemlaughing
31-12-06, 07:25
Hi Tim, perhaps the soreness was just a result of the shoveling. When I don't use parts of my body for awhile, I will get really sore quickly. Just a thought. This is a great site with good advice. Welcome!

and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Sheryl

Why stay in prison when the door is wide open?

kittykat
31-12-06, 13:09
Hi Tim,

Welcome to the site , i'm sure you'll find it a great source of help and advice.

Take care

shirley xx