PDA

View Full Version : lyme disease?

pepsi
03-10-14, 23:03
Hi everyone i am starting to work out whats up with me some of you know ive not been happy for months i now have a sore that comes and goes right in the base of my spine. Its red and sore and todsy its bled its not itchy so not sure why its bleeding ...it will clear up and return. I thought i had bfs amongst other things because of my epic twitches everywhere for almost a year...today i googled this sore i have and it came up with lyme disease and showed a picture of a bite from a tic or insect. 12 months ago i was bitten during the night on my leg one bite in the middle and others all round it...it looked like a huge ring worm it was huge i put ice on it and after a week it went down . Then the twitches started (,a lyme disease symptom) now this sore ),stiff neck tiredness ....i really think this is what i have its dawned on me all this started after that bite incident it was huge anyone know anything about this ..ive not been to the drs .

Serenity1990
03-10-14, 23:14
After months of having it Lyme would definitely show up on a blood test. If your doctor hasn't tested for it already it would be worth discussing it with them. However be aware the initial Lyme screen is terrible for false positives. The second stage test is very accurate, however.

Lyme is a bacterial infection, so strong antibiotics should get rid of it if so, it's not one worth worrying about.

However the likelihood of being bitten by a Lyme infested tick in bed is very low. It's a disease which is carried almost exclusively by deer ticks, and I highly doubt you keep deer in your bedroom. There are a few areas of the UK where Lyme is known to be endemic (Surrey and the Lake District are the main two iirc), so if you've been exposed to deer in these areas it's a possibility. Otherwise it's a very unlikely possibility.

Frankly, from what you describe I's put money on you having BFS secondary to anxiety.

.Poppy.
04-10-14, 04:07
To second Serenity's answer - ticks bite to suck blood. Its very rare to have a tick bite you and then fall off, it's far more rare to have a cluster of ticks bite you in an area and have them all disappear. You would have been pulling them off in the morning.

Also, lyme disease rashes are usually flat, they aren't typically raised and they shouldn't bleed. And, I may be wrong, but I believe the rash is the first stage. You shouldn't have the rash at the same time neurological symptoms develop as those come much later.

In other words, I don't think it's lyme. You can always go in to your doc and get tested and treated if it's positive but I think it's something else. Your twitches are likely down to anxiety however you should probably get the sore looked at. It's probably nothing serious but it's also probably preventable or treatable and so you might as well get it taken care of so it's not bothering you anymore.