PDA

View Full Version : Is fire extinguisher powder dangerous?

Agadch
04-10-14, 01:57
I was at a party tonight and someone thought it would be funny to spray the fire extinguisher. The powder got in my eyes and I inhaled it through my mouth and nose and I'm worrying about it. I have no idea what chemicals were in the extinguisher but it was a powder not foam. Any reassurance that I haven't inhaled something toxic would be appreciated!

MyNameIsTerry
04-10-14, 05:35
Hi,

If it was a powder one then its likely to be ABC powder.

It is advised not to inhale it as it can cause some irritation of the airways as far as I know. Have you experienced any soreness? If not then it sounds fine but this is more a question for a qualified medical practitioner who understands how the irritation can occur.

Its not toxic, it can't be because they are used by anyone and they won't be wearing protective equipment in using them. It is assumed that anyone using them will inhale some but they no longer allow them in offices and accomodation to avoid this with other people in the vicinity.

The person who did it is an idiot and aside from the worry it has caused you, what about the fact it isn't fully prepared in case of a fire!

Agadch
05-10-14, 00:13
Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't have any soreness, just a bit of irritation as you mentioned.

Yeah he was an idiot and no one was happy with him after he did it!

Serenity1990
05-10-14, 00:25
If that stuff was dangerous I'd have been dead by the end of year 11. I'm still not. ;)

Agadch
05-10-14, 01:03
I'm glad to hear that Serenity, it's very reassuring :D

RoseEve
05-10-14, 01:21
Someone in high school thought it would be funny too and I got it directly in my mouth and I was fine. No worries :D

MyNameIsTerry
05-10-14, 02:57
If the irritation continues, speak to your GP. Otherwise, you will be fine.

Its not allowed to be used in confined spaces either but that seems to be more about it blocking vision so you may not be able to find an exit.

How are your eyes? I didn't see any mention of avoiding this form of contact so it seems ok but any powder can cause irritation of the eyes.

Agadch
05-10-14, 22:46
Thankfully there's no lingering irritation. There was a bit of sneezing and coughing for a bit afterwards but it's gone now.

My eyes were stinging but as soon as I got home I washed them and everything seems to be ok :)