PDA

View Full Version : being alone with my thoughts

gregcool
05-10-14, 12:33
i hate my life of no job or friends.no distractions to take me away from my negetive thoughts all day long.going round and round over and over again like a tune on loop.anyone eles get this and if so, what thoughts or worries keep you on edge all day

LucyR
05-10-14, 17:00
\crack on with the flat though.

---------- Post added at 17:00 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Crack on doing your flat though?

MyNameIsTerry
06-10-14, 05:46
I completely understand it Greg, it makes you feel rudderless.

Jobs take up so much of our lives and when you no longer have one, you suddenly find yourself with a load of extra time to spend on negative thoughts. I lost my career to anxiety and I hung on for as long as I could until my employer was just making it even harder. It had cost me all my mates before then.

Have you ever thoughts of volunteering? Its something to distract you and its going to give you some social interaction as well as helping build confidence, self worth & self esteem.

gregcool
06-10-14, 09:57
hi terry..yepits a bumer not working.havnt worked for 5 years now.but have allways lived with a family so at least then i had there company when home from school etc.as for volunteering.where im moving to its just not walking distance and if its raining id be soked before i even reach the town center so thats out of the question for me mate.and now with the winter on its way thats darker nights and bad dull weather.wish i got my flat in the sumer time so i could have enjoyed sitting outside and having the longer sumer nights coming through my flat

LucyR
06-10-14, 18:27
What about reading, decorating your flat etc. Have you considered evening classes you must have an interest in some subjects to pass the dark nights?

---------- Post added at 18:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

There seems to be two threads here on this exactly the same now?

gregcool
06-10-14, 18:39
Hi lucy.havnt got the keys to my flat yet.they are doing a few modifications in there before i get the keys.im still at my sisters at the moment.there will be decorating to do in the daytime.as for collage work,as iv said before im not local to the town etc and its to far to walk,esp if its raining.so ill just have to drag out the decorating once im in my flat

Lucinda07
06-10-14, 18:56
What about taking up a hobby. Perhaps trying to make something eg models (not the Kate Moss kind!) art, making cakes, simple cooking. Maybe using internet/books to find out about something you are really interested in. Some people trace their ancestors.

LucyR
06-10-14, 21:28
I didnt realise you were not living in the flat yet, but hopefully you will be soon once they have brought it up or whatever they are doing.

Would it not be possible for you to get the local bus that would most probably go past the college?

If its still no or you don't feel you would be able to fit in with college you could try the Open University?

gregcool
06-10-14, 22:17
Prob i have lucy is.im unemployed and on benefits.72 pound a week.out of that ill have to pay out water rates gas ellectric child maintanance shoping mobile phone.by the time i pay out that lot i have nothing left for bus or the internet,this is also what is getting me down

LucyR
06-10-14, 22:27
It is difficult, make a note of your nearest library and go in there the computers are free there and there is internet, and you can always borrow a few books at least thats free.

gregcool
06-10-14, 22:42
Will do lucy.thanks

MyNameIsTerry
07-10-14, 05:14
Its even worse when you are surviving on benefits as it cuts off many possible avenues of interest that can help people with anxiety & depression.

Are there any local charities that deal with anxiety & depression Greg? There are a couple in my city that offer free courses, free membership, walk-ins and various cheap outings & social events.

I would say get some exercise in the form of walking as it gets you out in the fresh air and it can help life your mood. Cycling is supposed to be good but again its initially about cost.

gregcool
07-10-14, 10:38
hi terry.my local area is crap for suport.no dropins or comunity suport as such.councoling is not free.yku have to go through the doctors to get an appointment with any mental health and takes bloody months.then its only a one off one to one.its allways been a poor area for suport.so you are pritty much on your own..not sure what im going to do.i need to find a good job that pays.and thats not easy at my age of 48 most companies dont want older people and when you aply for a job you are one of many that have aplied for it..so feel stuck

MyNameIsTerry
08-10-14, 05:25
Its a bit like that in my area Greg hence these charities have come along. The one I used to go to was started up by a recovered anxiety & depression sufferer and all staff are the same. We need more of these groups as there is so much experience in there for all sorts of issues.

One of the guys I met there was older than you and became unemployed which was one of his main anxiety issues. He was saying the same thing. He was using the job websites and was unhappy with the many people applying. The sad thing is, its always easier to get a job when you already have one! The way he got back into work was through volunteering first so that it showed he was working, just for free.

gregcool
08-10-14, 10:27
Yea i know what your saying terry.i wish there was more in my area.years ago when i was 23 and suffered mental health,there was a local dropin house that was run by a x drug user,she was amazing,you could just knock on the door and get one to one help there and then,back then there wasnt much known about mental health so she was never to busy so i allways managed to get in,sadly it is not there anymore and there is nothing like it anymore.as i said before mate im just not local to the main town for volentary work,to far to walk and couldnt aford the bus fare.so im stuck really.been out of work now for 5 years and it just dosnt feel like im ever going to get out of it,cant stay like this for much longer,esp now the winter is on its way and darker evenings and rain days and nights

LucyR
09-10-14, 18:01
I see there are even less in my area being in a remote area of Scotland. I do notice though that there are a good few online support groups and self help study courses to take part in which may be of help.