PDA

View Full Version : When do you know if a problem is ha or something is actually wrong?

Avasmummy_x
05-10-14, 19:04
Today ive been thinking.

I get a tight throat and breathless with chest pain normally through my anxiety.
And my question is how would you know if it was something sinister or just anxiety?

Everytime I get it I tell myself oh it's just my anxiety but god forbid what if one day it's not and I play it off as it is?

Just a thought? Because half the time I get these symptoms I'm not even anxious so it'd be hard to tell if it was serious or not x

Nathan92
05-10-14, 19:13
subliminally you can always be anxious (anxious without actually recognising your anxious).

The way I do it, is I feel relaxed and I'm at peace & I get a pain, I know it isn't an anxiety pain, if I'm all tense a few days before and then I get say a palpitation I know its my anxiety (and I have to reassure myself that I know my hearts fine from the checks I've had done on it)

It's hard if you dwell on it, because you start to second guess yourself, your body knows when something is wrong.. that old saying, don't let your mind play tricks on you

Avasmummy_x
05-10-14, 19:15
I know you can be sublimely anxious but I just don't know how I'd tell the difference from something actually being wrong if that makes sense? Because they are the same symptoms.

karlwirral
05-10-14, 19:19
its a really tricky one but i think deep down when something is really wrong we just know.

I have really bad HA and after breaking my ankle last year i developed a DVT which went up to my lung and became a P.E which is life threatning i was getting some mild pain in my back and side round the rib cage and check kind of like a chest infection anyway that night i woke up in the worst pain ever on breathing in and at that moment i just knew somehow i needed to go straight to hospital.

Kind of natural instinct i would say.

Avasmummy_x
05-10-14, 19:46
Wow Karl that's awful. I've had the dvt pe fears before I couldn't imagine actually going through it!

Im so exhausted of always worrying if anxiety symptoms are something more.

karlwirral
05-10-14, 19:50
Wow Karl that's awful. I've had the dvt pe fears before I couldn't imagine actually going through it!

Im so exhausted of always worrying if anxiety symptoms are something more.

If im being totally honest when it was happening i was so calm no panic set in and i took it all in my stride and dealth with it. The pain reacted well to the painkillers i was given and through my 10 days in hospital i was quite comfortable and was not really worried about it. Iive felt a million times worse because of the stress and anxiety ive had which says a lot.

trish1955
05-10-14, 20:00
I asked the same thing other day on the symptoms thread xxxx

penguinbop
05-10-14, 20:02
I think when we feel something wrong and start googling it, then other symptoms of what we googled pop up we know its anxiety. For example the other day I tried and experiment, I thought about my foot tingling, and it tingled. I think when we start to obsess these symptoms appear. The other way I can tell is if I am distracted by something, the symptoms are not noticable which generally means they're caused by anxiety. Ive been to the dr multiple times and when I have a reocurring symptom I think about the doctor saying its nothing.

belvedia
05-10-14, 20:20
I'm still figuring it out myself but I've started to take note of what I experience when I panic... It helped me stave off a real breakdown last night when the video I was watching suddenly got kind of blurry for me and I thought I was going to have a seizure or go blind or something, since I'm having eye/neurological worries at the moment. Soon as I realized what was happening I was able to calm myself down. I felt very different in that moment than I did when I woke up with a medication interaction back in June that actually was serious. I still had the "oh no I'm going to die" feeling but it felt more real and I had an easier time making the decision to call for help.

I think anxiety makes us second-guess ourselves a lot more than legitimate issues do. But at the same time that line is really, really blurry because it's easy to doubt yourself when you have a history of over-reacting. So I guess the short answer is that there's really no easy answer. :(

Avasmummy_x
05-10-14, 20:35
This is it. Because I've had so many symptoms that have been looked in to. I'm scared that when something God forbid is very wrong my doctor won't be interested and put it off to anxiety.