PDA

View Full Version : Overcoming fear of flying

Annie0904
05-10-14, 21:46
In the past I have had panic attacks during flights and just about crushed my husbands hand because I have been so nervous.
Today I flew to Croatia. It did not get off to a good start as we were at the gate waiting to board the plane and they asked us to go back to the departure lounge. We were told there was a technical problem with the plane. I immediately thought "I am never going to get on that plane then!" I started to panic and cry. The air stewardess took me to a side and tried to reassure me telling me how safe it is and they wouldn't let it fly if it wasn't fixed.
We boarded just over an hour after the plane should have taken off. I had calmed down a bit by then. I sat by the window which I don't usually do as I am too scared to look out. I took some photos after we got up in the air. The worst part for me is landing and I usually get a bit tearful and crush my husbands hand but this time I didn't. I remembered my good NMP friend Tessar had taken videos when landing even though she too is a nervous flyer so I thought "Well if Tessar can do it so can I! and I did. I have to admit that I still grabbed my husbands hand just after the wheels hit the ground but I was really pleased with myself for not getting in the state I usually do :) To feel the fear and do it anyway really does work. We don't know what we can achieve unless we try. This is my second flight this year and 2 last year and the more I do the easier it gets. My initial reaction this morning when there was a problem with the plane was just to go back home but I didn't want to waste my money so I just felt that fear and did it! I am pleased I did :)

Sunflower2
05-10-14, 22:56
Ah that's so great! I will remember this post next time I'm feeling too scared to do something. Enjoy your holiday!! :D

MM
05-10-14, 22:59
So happy for you! That's wonderful! I'm also terrified of flying, and I haven't been on a plane since 2004! I have to go on a plane in a few months, I'll definitely think about this :) Thanks for sharing.

swgrl09
06-10-14, 00:01
That's really awesome, Annie. I would have been worried if they sent me off the plane too. I am glad you were able to get back on and face your fears. That's real courage!

MrAndy
06-10-14, 09:09
well done Annie

Annie0904
06-10-14, 17:01
Thank you everyone, I wouldn't have got to where I am today without the support from NMP friends. Yes when there is something you have to/want to do...just do it! :D

Tessar
06-10-14, 22:16
Hey Annie this is such good reading!!!!!!
I am so impressed. You really have come such a long way. When I first joined NMP, you weren't able to go out without a real struggle. Now look at you. It's amazing, it really is.
It seems funny to think that something I have done has helped you. I suppose the whole self-esteem thing makes me sometimes think I am not important enough to influence people, but this is what I like so much about NMP. We can all help each other, inspire each other.
You are definitely an inspiration and I have got a big cheesy grin on my face.
:-)

NE21 worrier
07-10-14, 15:55
Nice to hear, Annie :)

Annie0904
07-10-14, 19:57
Thank you Tessar and Peter :) How are you doing Peter...is the job going okay for you?

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:56 ----------

Today I went in a cable car!

Tessar
07-10-14, 21:13
Amazing!!!!!!!! Especially when u consider that people who don't get anxious generally would never get in a cable car!!!

Annie0904
07-10-14, 21:58
I actually enjoyed it :)

chickpea
08-10-14, 19:50
Your post has given me hope!
I have never enjoyed flying, but never let that stop me doing it - I've been as far as the Caribbean, as well as Europe.
However, since suffering a breakdown 5 years ago, the idea of flying terrifies me. I think it is to do with the fact that I can't get off if I start to panic, and I don't want my children to see me in a state.
Of course, my children are desperate to fly - they want to go to Disneyland - and there are places I'd love to see...Paris, more of Italy, Ireland, New York...So I need to get over it.
Thank you for making me think it might be possible.xx

Annie0904
08-10-14, 20:21
Chickpea only you can make it possible. Worse case scenario...you have a panic attack on the flight. It happened to me on the way to Portugal but I survived it :) I managed to calm down again and enjoy the holiday and haven't had another one mid flight since :) I always take a couple of diazepam in my bag just in case I do panic but they have stayed in my bag. Your children will love it and yes you can take them :)

chickpea
08-10-14, 20:30
Thank you, Annie! :)
I don't even know why I'm worried about panicking - I've never had a full on panic attack in public.
When I was flying before, I used to get myself worked up beforehand - just getting packed and to the airport stresses me (holidays have that effect on me!) and take off is the worst bit for me...I have been in tears before.
I think maybe a short domestic flight to start with, so I know it will be over quickly.:yesyes:

Tessar
08-10-14, 20:43
Chickpea, I was very very scared of flying. My friends I went on holiday 10 years go expected me to do a runner at the airport bit I didn't! Since then I have flown a fair bit, I even fly for work (short flights on my own! It's amazing, because of you had said a decade ago I'd have achieved this... I'd have fallen over laughing (with fear!).
When I first did the flights for work I really expected to cry, I though being on my own I would be really scared. But when it came to it I couldn't believe how calm I felt.
I think u mite surprise yourself. As u have done it before, rather than extreme fear and panic, you might be able to reassure yourself.
That's what I find myself doing, talking (in my head... Not out loud as other passengers may think I am odd) saying stuff like "it will be ok, don't worry". I literally keep myself calm. As if I am using my adult persona to talk to my inner child & reassure it.

heres "sending u good vibes" ..... One day we can enjoy reading Your success story on here when u take your children to Disney!