PDA

View Full Version : On and off fever for 8 days now! SCARED!!!!

Leslie735
06-10-14, 13:37
Last Sunday my family and I went to visit my brother at his new beach condo. We spent the afternoon and evening there. Took a nice walk on the beach etc. I started feeling kinda off while we were there but I thought nothing of it. I just felt tired and the need to lay down. So we got home and that is what I did. I kept getting these jolts in my arms and hands (not like electrical feeling just a jolt type feeling hard to explain) and I felt achy and cold. I took my temp and sure enough, a fever. I thought nothing of it, figured I was coming down with my kids cold that they had. So I rested that night and took off work the next day and rested some more. By Tuesday no other symptoms were showing up but still had the fever. Tuesday evening into Wednesday it shot up to almost 103. I kinda freaked, thought I was getting the flu. I've never had it so I wasn't sure. I went to see my doctor on Wednesday afternoon. Of course my temp was normal 98.8 there. She heard some wheezing in my lungs (I have asthma) and said I might have inflammation in my lungs and gave me a special inhaling medication and told me to use my inhaler for a few times a day for a few days and instructed me to come back in a week if it continues. Thursday I was fine, no fever, Friday the same. I was like, "ok cool it's going away." Friday night I started getting a very mild scratchy throat. Saturday still had the scratchy throat and fever was back, mild like 99ish. It was gone by afternoon. Then yesterday I had a fever all day ranging from 99.5-100.5. I finally took some Tylenol because I had a headache as well and it brought it down to normal. As of this morning I still have the mild scratchy throat but no other symptoms and temp is normal 98.8 this morning so far. It's freaking me out, because I know a mild fever that persists can be a sign of cancer. I usually don't freak out about cancer honestly but this has me scared. Help please!!!! Anyone been through this before?

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

ps everytime the fever has come back it's been mild in the 99 range mostly, occasionally 100. The only time it got high was last Tuesday night. But that could have been because I had wrapped my self up in a thick fuzzy blanket because I was having chills with it. Also, when I run these mild fevers I don't have chills or aches or anything just the fever.

.Poppy.
06-10-14, 14:41
I think you should write an organized list of your symptoms and go back into the doctor. At least for your peace of mind.

To me, it sounds like you have a cold or some other virus that's just hanging around. Your body is running a fever trying to kill it off, but various things (like Tylenol) will bring your fever down and your body may even cool itself down when it thinks things are fine - then it picks up on whatever was wrong again and you get another fever.

I had a cold a week ago and ran a fever of 100+ degrees for five days straight. Nothing I did - popsicles, medicine, cool showers, etc. - would bring the fever down. I was freaking out too because I'd never had such a long stretch of fever before but it broke and I started getting better.

Did your doctor do any other tests? Mine always takes blood to see if I have a viral/bacterial situation going on, and then treats accordingly. If you have a scratchy throat, they may check out strep. But I would definitely go back in, as it sounds like something they can help sort out and you can get to feeling better.

Leslie735
06-10-14, 14:46
No she didn't do any blood work. She said if I come back in a week with it still she would. The scratchy throat didn't start until after the doctor visit, I think it started on Thursday or Friday, can't remember. I never run fevers, ever. So far this morning it's been moral 98.8/98.6/98.4 so that's good, praying it stays that way.

Leslie735
06-10-14, 20:28
Anyone else?