PDA

View Full Version : Stomach problems

mummyanxious
06-10-14, 13:36
I'm having real issues at the moment and wonder if anyone can relate.
About a month ago my chest pains got a ton worse. Awful cramping burning feelings. I could pinpoint it to a particular spot deep in my chest. The pain so reads out to the side sometimes. My gp thinks I have a hiatal hernia. He put me on omoprazole 20mg twice a day.
Things have slowly got a bit better and it's not happening so often, though today is a bad day for some reason.
I had been taking a magnesium supplement every day but now I have to take my omoprazole twice a day I am not sure whether I can take the magnesium at the same time. So I was googling to see if I could find out and came across some worrying information about omoprazole and use longer than two weeks.
I didn't want to be on these long term anyway but this has made me want to stop them sooner. Has anyone found a better cure for these problems?
Does anyone know if you can take magnesium at the same time of day as the omoprazole?
Obviously I'm going to discuss all this with my gp but I'm not due back till end of month.
I'm obviously also worried there's something more sinister going on but as I'm only mid thirties they're quick to dismiss.

Petesy
06-10-14, 19:44
Hi Mummyanxious

I have a haitel hernia plus my stomach feels like total crap atm, omeprazole is what they have me on and I've just found out about taking omeprazole long term but considering it's one of the main treatments for this and other issues I've overcome with the omeprazole 20mg (ulcer) so I've been on them for a long time to prevent any of the above returning and the hernia from getting worse because if it's a haitel hernia acid reflux gets trapped in it and because it's above the diaphragm it causes burning pain in chest, which gets me thinking something sinister heart etc,

I am no doctor but I have taken magnesium and omeprazole and have been fine... If you do find an alternative cure could you please pm me...

I'm sure if symptoms persist you'll be sent for an endoscopy that's how they found out I had a haitel hernia and they told me it's ok it's just a part of your stomach sliding above your diaphragm! To my reply "Oh and that's ok!!?"

I also have a shatzki ring which is a ring of flesh narrowing the esophagus at the part that ends at the stomach to which they told me nothing to worry about it's like an elastic ring and it's like a mole if it gets itchy then you see the doctor! My reply " how's it at all like a mole!?" consultant "well with the shatzki ring it will close up you'll regurgitate your food and have crushing chest pain which then we'll give you an endoscopy and laser the band which snaps like a piece of elastic" my reply " so it's nothing like a mole then!!"

This was five years ago I got diagnosed..

And my g.p wonders why I worry about my stomach all the time!

Anyone would going into overdrive after being told that..

Ask your gp to send you for an endoscopy instead of "thinking you have a haitel hernia" and get checked out for sure..

Best wishes

Petesy x

mummyanxious
06-10-14, 21:20
Ah thanks for your reply. Little nervous about an endoscopy mind you. Not keen on sedatives and not keen on the unpleasantness without one....oh and scared if what they might find :/
Do you take the magnesium at the same time as the omoprazole or space them out? I was taking a few supplements till I had to start taking this and now I'm not taking any. I can tell I'm not taking the magnesium as my sleep has deteriorated.

mummyanxious
07-10-14, 11:51
I'm not certain about any ppis. It was about ppi in general, not just omoprazole. I've tried ranitidine before and it doesn't suit me.
I'd like to just know what the problem is tbh. But dr just seen interested in treating symptoms, not getting to the bottom of things :/

bernie1977
07-10-14, 11:55
I take my omeprazole 30 minutes before breakfast and magnesium is better absorbed after a main meal so I take mine early evening after dinner. Done this for a couple of years with no problems

mummyanxious
07-10-14, 14:35
I used to take my mag in the evening but it gave me stomach cramps because if the lack off food etc so switched to morning. Maybe if I have my om before the breakfast and the magnesium after it.