PDA

View Full Version : Most common intrusive thoughts 4 non-OCD sufferers

Louisey
30-12-06, 16:49
Hi everyone. I've been meaning to share this on the forum for a while. It's some research about the most common unwanted and upsetting thoughts reported in NON-CLINICAL subjects, that is, people who don't suffer from OCD.
My psychologist gave me a photocopy of this to illustrate how yukky, unwanted thoughts go through everyone's head - the difference being that OCD sufferers worry so much about why their thinking them they become fixated on them, which can trigger the whole brain lock cycle.
So if any of these thoughts make you sick with worry, remember, you're not alone and certainly not a freak for thinking of them in the first place. Happy New Year!
Louise xxx

The most common unwanted obsession-relevant intrusive thoughts, images and impulses reported by Nonclinical subjects:

1. Did I leave heat, stove or lights on that could cause a fire?
2. Left the door unlocked, and an intruder could be inside
3. While driving, an impulse to run the car off the road
4. I could get a sexually transmitted disease from touching a toilet seat or handle
5. Even though the house is tidy, an impulse to check that absolutely everything is put away
6. Feel sudden impulse to say something rude or insulting to a friend even though I'm not angry at him
7. Impulse to say something rude or insulting to a stranger
8. While driving, the impulse to swerve the car into oncoming traffic
9. The thought of having sex in a public place
10. The thought of having sex with an authority figure (eg. minister, boss, teacher)
11. While driving the thought of running over pedestrians or animals
12. When talking to people, intrusive thoughts of their being naked
13. Impulse to indecently expose myself by lifting my skirt or slipping down my pants
14. Impulse to masturbate in public
15. When I see a sharp knife, the thought of slitting my wrist or throat
16. When in a public place, the thoughts of becoming dirty or contaminated from touching doorknobs

Data from Purdon and Clark (1993) and Byers et al (1998).

Cited inL 'Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy for OCD' by David A. Clark. 2004. The Guilford Press.

rpatter76
30-12-06, 23:23
Very interesting post. I would think that it could calm many of us down. We just have to remember that our problem is that we cannot simply dismiss them as everyone else. I hear keeping that in mind is all part of recovery. We have to let the thoughts come, and only react to them by saying, "Oh, it's just my obessions from my OCD." It's been said to say those very words to yourself. And the more you push the thoughts away, the stronger they become. CBT is so awesome, and I hope that others will look into it to get some great relief. We all just need to make sure we are very willing to change. It can take a year or two for some. :) Anyhoo! I've rambled enough. I just really liked the optimistic side of this post....We all have demons, now lets control them as other people can.

shoegal
31-12-06, 00:23
Well, I'm always imagining men with no clothes on and it doesn't bother me at all! LOL!!! :D

Seriously though, this is a very interesting post which shows we all have odd thoughts and should try not to worry about them. :)[Yeah!]

Love shoegal xxx

up_n_down
08-03-07, 14:18
wow, this really was a help to me!! i mean, most people will get intrusive thoughts, but I guess the ones who DONT have them are in the minority, not us. thanks sooooo much for posting this!!

milly jones
06-09-08, 22:50
where do u get these tests pls?