PDA

View Full Version : Are you more scared of cancer or heart attack?

skippy66
07-10-14, 10:24
What are you most scared of? Being diagnosed with cancer, or having a heart attack?

wnsos
07-10-14, 10:27
Cancer. Bleurgh.

charm1234
07-10-14, 11:57
afraid of cancer

ShaunRyder
07-10-14, 12:43
Cancer. The fear of it has taken over my life.

PanicOver!!
07-10-14, 12:44
Heart attack is at the root of my anxiety

unsure_about_this
07-10-14, 13:31
In order for me what I am worried about.

Cancer
Heart attack
Stroke
Organ failure
Diseases

Fishmanpa
07-10-14, 14:39
Both suck!

Positive thoughts

skippy66
07-10-14, 14:47
Fishmanpa, good to see you're sticking around this forum helping people out. You are an inspiration to many on here my friend.

lisad1977
07-10-14, 16:29
both and im scared of strokes blood clot organ failure u name it. and I have got all of them well the voice in my head says I have. im scared of brain tumor and sudden death aswell. omg its horrible.

paul78
07-10-14, 16:31
Throat or sinus cancer scars.

firecracker777
07-10-14, 16:55
definitely cancer. i never really think of heart attack for some reason.

Serenity1990
07-10-14, 17:45
Tbh I don't really see the point of this thread.

luc
07-10-14, 17:46
Hi Skippy,

Is this and recent questions for research?

Lucia.

Mdeasha
08-10-14, 12:34
Definitely cancer. If I had a heart attack it either kills me stone dead so it doesn't matter, or I survive! Whereas cancer wouldn't allow me to enjoy my life at all. My biggest fear.

skippy66
08-10-14, 16:22
For those who are asking, I'm doing some research. HA is essentially a fear of death. I want to know whether people are more scared of a lingering death, or a quick 'lights out'. For me, when I had HA, it was the latter - just!!!

cpe1978
08-10-14, 18:18
You see I am not sure that is quite correct. I am not in the slightest bit frightened of dying, I accept that it is an inevitable consequence of living. For me it is the impact on other people of either watching me die slowly or not being around (mainly my children tbh). Death itself whilst not something I look forward to particularly isn't something that is at the root cause of my anxiety.

Serenity1990
08-10-14, 19:45
For those who are asking, I'm doing some research. HA is essentially a fear of death. I want to know whether people are more scared of a lingering death, or a quick 'lights out'. For me, when I had HA, it was the latter - just!!!

Which institution gave ethical approval for conducting research by asking questions on a forum? Are you even slightly aware of the statistical bias attaining data in this way creates? What discipline is your Ph.D in?

Mrschurchill
08-10-14, 20:42
Cancer terrifies me x

skippy66
13-10-14, 16:06
Which institution gave ethical approval for conducting research by asking questions on a forum? Are you even slightly aware of the statistical bias attaining data in this way creates? What discipline is your Ph.D in?

Just.....WOW.

paul78
13-10-14, 17:23
Skippy i think ur question here for asking this, is not a bad idea .my support is with u if anyone have problem with this post.

xofeatherxo
13-10-14, 21:11
Cancer. Heart worries are easy because when I'm worried I'm having a heart attack, if I'm not dead by the next morning then the danger has passed and I feel reassured. With cancer, however, if I'm not dead by the next morning... well I could still have cancer and maybe I'll be dead in six months, or a year.

Heart attack worries for me tend to be extreme, but short-lived. Cancer worries just drag on and on and on (parents don't seem to like taking me to the doctor every time I panic, can't really blame them, it happens a lot) and they're just as extreme as the heart attack worries. It's so exhausting and it feels like it never ends, there's always some new symptom.

I remember a few months ago when I had a UTI that I thought was ovarian cancer, I told myself if I could just get past the ovarian cancer thing I'd be fine, but the moment those symptoms went away I moved on to breast cancer, and as soon as I got over that it was skin cancer. I'm just so tired of being afraid all the time. Sleepless nights suck either way, but at least with heart worries I can feel semi-normal the next day. When it's cancer it's just nonstop fear, all the time. I haven't felt truly calm in months. :/

Serenity1990
13-10-14, 21:16
Just.....WOW.

If that's your only response I can only continue to conclude that you don't have the requisite qualifications to give out the advice you charge people for, and that you don't have the appropriate training to collect or interpret the data you seek.

almamatters
13-10-14, 21:20
Definitely cancer, this makes me worry about every part of my body , whereas heart is sort of concentrated on the chest area. Like others have said heart worries seem to subside pretty quickly (with me anyway) but cancer has been a 20 year worry of mine.

skippy66
14-10-14, 17:13
If that's your only response I can only continue to conclude that you don't have the requisite qualifications to give out the advice you charge people for, and that you don't have the appropriate training to collect or interpret the data you seek.

I'm not quite sure why you have a problem with me or what I've done to upset you, but I feel like I need to set the record straight...

Firstly I don't 'charge for advice'. I have written a book documenting my personal struggle with health anxiety and the steps I took to overcome it so that others can hopefully copy my methods and do the same. I do not have any medical qualifications, which I freely admit and state at the very beginning of the book, but I do have a very deep personal understanding of health anxiety, how it makes you feel and how it can be overcome - I have been through it myself, which is more than most medical professionals can say. Many of whom simply hand out a prescription for an anti-depressant to get rid of the patient - several doctors have done this to me.

Not to mention the countless hours I have spent writing posts on this forum, both in public and in replying to the many private messages I get asking for advice, which I give my time freely for.

The book took over 3 months to write. It costs £7.20 - not a huge price to pay even if it doesn't work for you. My methods will doubtless not work for everyone but judging by the Amazon reviews, it does seem to be helping quite a few people:

I suffer such bad health anxiety and it was so refreshing to read about someone with the exact same reactions I have and how they have come through the other side. I already feel inspired and calmer as a result of this book and can't wait to put his strategies into full practice and try to get my life back to normal.

It was like he was inside my head and was talking about everything I have been experiencing. I feel confident that I can overcome this now.

This was a great read and helped me a lot. Really does help you realise what this evil thing called health anxiety is and I have now gained some knowledge and help to push me out of the hole I find myself in.

I've suffered with Health Anxiety for just over a year and it had ruined the past year of my life...
This book really puts things in to perspective and had some great tips on getting better!

Like this author, when Allen Carr wrote "The Easyway to stop smoking", he had never written a book before. He freely admitted that he wasn't a doctor, or a professional - just someone who had been there and fought the same battle as the people he wrote the book for. Now, all these years later, "Easyway" is known as the definitive book on smoking cessation and has helped countless people kick the habit.

So, do I really think this book has the potential to do the same for health anxiety sufferers? In a word, YES. There is however a caveat to that statement, which I will get to later.

Like Carr, this author also freely admits he is not a professional. He's just a person that was once crippled with health anxiety who found a way out of it and wants to share it with other sufferers.

What this inexperienced author has achieved is a wonderfully concise, to the point and jargon free book that I genuinely believe can help anyone who reads it with an open mind.

Thought provoking, refreshingly void of psychobabble, and at times humorously self deprecating, everyone with health anxiety will be able to identify with this book. Don't be put off if you are undergoing therapy or taking medication - use this book in addition. The method within it is flawless and I hope that it reaches many, many people in the same way that "Easyway" did.

Which brings me back to my aforementioned caveat; "Easyway" became such a success only because people shared it. A smoker read it, found it helped them, and encouraged other smokers to read it.

This books message will only reach the masses if Health Anxiety sufferers do the same. So, if you find it helpful (which you will if you read it with an open mind) then tell people. Spread the word. Help get the message in this excellent book - written by a sufferer, for sufferers - heard.

As both a writer and somebody recovering from Health Anxiety, I can not recommend this book enough.

I have suffered from severe health anxiety for one year now. I have a beautiful family with two young daughters. I hit rock bottom and this book gives me hope. Thank you!

I have had life long symptoms of health anxiety and panic. It became overwhelming when I stopped taking antidepressants. I am trying now to heal myself since I am the one who is responsible for my problem . The very good suggestions in this book are awesome and inspiring! I have already started to implement some of them into my life.I wan to enjoy my life and not worry all the time. I know it is possible. Thank you for this wonderful book!

This book was spot-on in describing what it's like to live with health anxiety. I am so grateful that he wrote this book and started such a great website to help others overcome their debilitating fears. I am feeling optimistic about overcoming my own health anxiety for the first time in my life. Thank you so much!!

My primary motive for writing this book was to help people. At £7.20 with a substantial chunk going to Amazon it was never going to be a money-maker for me, but at the same time I couldn't have afforded to spend 3 months solid on something which didn't at least recover it's costs.

You don't have to buy the book, I hope I am not ramming it down people's throats and I hope that those who do choose to read it get some benefit out of it. You don't even have to read my posts on this forum - I'm sure there's a way to block me if you want to. But please don't accuse me of not possessing qualifications for asking a question on a forum. I freely admit that I am not medically trained, like everyone else on here.

Fishmanpa
14-10-14, 17:27
I want to second the above post and put in a good word in for Skippy here. The book is quite good and he's been a constant support on the boards. One does not need a degree to offer practical proven advice in the written form.

Positive thoughts

bingjam
14-10-14, 17:54
Not so much the heart attack but my heart just stopping, and cancer sucks too!

AmyMJ
14-10-14, 21:58
I'm definitely more afraid of cancer. It's a fear that's only recently appeared in the last few months and worrying about it takes up a vast portion of my day.

skippy66
15-10-14, 12:03
I want to second the above post and put in a good word in for Skippy here. The book is quite good and he's been a constant support on the boards. One does not need a degree to offer practical proven advice in the written form.

Positive thoughts

Thanks Fishmanpa, I appreciate the support.

SarahH
15-10-14, 12:52
Skippy, good for you. You help so many on this board x

sarah

3tikes
15-10-14, 19:36
Without a doubt, it's cancer. I have recently been diagnosed with a dodgy womb and all the rubbish that goes with it. I still worry about the what ifs and maybe they've missed something when I get the daily pains but it's not consuming me completely now.
Skippy, I hadn't realised that was your book, I have a copy in my bedside drawer and if I'm having a wobbly evening I take it out and read a few chapters and my 'rational' mind kicks back in! Thank you.

skippy66
16-10-14, 08:38
Thanks Sarah.

3tikes, my book is only available on Amazon Kindle so you must be thinking of a different one.

JasonCYG
16-10-14, 08:42
Both condition is scaring, we must be in mind that our health is very important to consider and be prioritized. Once we have good health condition we will be having a happy life! So health is wealth!

farley1109
21-10-14, 22:38
cancer :(

adammichael
22-10-14, 19:25
anything to do with my heart is always in my mind

Mrspanic
23-10-14, 09:42
Both for me although I am more fixated on heart attack at the moment :-(

jonjones
23-10-14, 12:07
Hey,

Hows it going?

Adrenaline causes tightness of chest muscles, you can even get shooting pains in chest muscles. I know this isnt nice to experience and you may think that your even getting a heart attack.

But this is just due to tension and adrenaline. Also your lungs can become tense from adrenaline which makes it difficult to expand your lungs.

You could also be getting a crushing feeling on your chest. This is from extreme tension. Very high levels of adrenaline causes muscles to stay tense. This makes it difficult to expand your chest like normally.

Best,

Jon