PDA

View Full Version : Help ease my mind!

lin14534
30-12-06, 18:57
I am new to your message board and so glad I found it. I am a 55 yr old female who has had anxiety since the birth of my 2nd daughter at age 40. I was on Paxil for 6 yrs and am currently on effexor. My problem is everytime I have to go for a medical test (mammogram, gyno, any doctor) I am so upset for 1 week to a month before the appointment that I make myself sick. I recently had to go back for a blood pressure check and the dr wanted me to have a blood test. He wanted to check my sugar (fasting test), cholesterol and he also marked complete blood count with platelets. Now I know that's a routine part of a blood test, but I've been dwelling on this part of the test for a long time now, thinking he's going to find something terribly wrong with me (i.e. aplastic anemia, chronic leukemia, polythemia vera, etc). I have been sick at work worrying constantly, heart racing, can't concentrate, this terrible "fight / flight feeling, easily aggitated, etc. I can't get control of these terrible feelings. I had the blood test this past Tuesday - today is Saturday. My mom said he would have called me by now if there was anything really bad in the results but I don't know. I'm hoping that's true and he dose hit me with it when I have to go back to see him nextn Thursday. Do they call you if there is something wrong with your test? I have to get control of this anxiety because it is ruining my life. Maybe I can get klonopin or valium for times I have to go for appointments? Thanks for listening - this is a terrible affliction.

jodie
30-12-06, 20:26
HI

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL IF I HAVE TO HAVE ANY TESTS DONE I GO INTO PANIC MODE I THINK ABOUT ALL THE BAD THINGS THAT COLD BE WRONG AND ALMOST EVERY TIME THE TEST COMES BACK OK .
I THINK IF YOU HAD THE TEST TESDAY HE WOLD OF CALLED YOU IF THERE WAS SOMTHING WRONG FOR SRE TRY TO STAY CALM (HARD I KNOW )I AM SURE THE DOC WONT LEAVE YOU OVER THE WEEKEND IF SOMTHING WAS WRONG
LOVE JO XX

lin14534
30-12-06, 20:32
thanks Jodie for your response - you're probably right - I'll try to calm myself - have a great day
Linda

miss diagnosis
31-12-06, 12:22
I was exactly the same. I went for some blood tests a while back cos my hiar was falling out. I was CONVBINCED something bad was gonna show up> my boyf had to meeet me for lunch and hold my hand while i rang the clinic. turns out was low iron!!! Dont worry at all