PDA

View Full Version : Tinnitus Worry

So
07-10-14, 18:35
I've always had a ringing in my ear when I go to bed and it's silent or after I've been listening to loud music, but last night my brain decided to focus on it and now it's on my mind PERMANENTLY and I can't stop worrying what if I have tinnitus :(. Because my mind is focused on it so much, it's become so much louder and I feel like I can always hear it, however when I'm distrscted doing my daily activities I'm fine and it disappears. I'm really panicking about it and when I've asked others they tell me they all have it too it's just a normal thing. So is it normal and does everyone hear some kind of ringing in silence? Or do I have tinnitus :( so worried it's driving me crazy. Thankyou to anyone who can help.

scaredsick
07-10-14, 18:52
Tinnitus is constantly there for me I think if you have it you just learn to shut it out if I focus it drives me crazy I rarely think about it now has it since I was about 13 from playing the guitar too loud I'm 34 now

Don't think about it then u won't notice it

So
07-10-14, 18:56
Thankyou do you have any tips on how I can stop focusing on the noise because the more I worry the more it's there!

Serenity1990
07-10-14, 19:05
I can't stop worrying what if I have tinnitus :(.

You probably do. So what? So does at least 1/3 of the population.

So
07-10-14, 20:05
I know but I am still worried I have it.. I think it's because my mind is focused on it and I'm worrying.

MrAndy
07-10-14, 20:48
I have it and it's quite loud,you just learn to live with it

cpe1978
07-10-14, 21:33
The trick to learning to live with it is not to try. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I have been there. The only way to get there is to stop fearing it.

lozzie02
07-10-14, 22:28
I get tinnitus along with sinus released issues when my anxiety really takes hold and mine does go eventually but only when I can get a hold of the anxiety and in your case by focusing on it its controlling you not the other way round! You have to try and distract yourself like you said and give your self cues ie say to your self everytime you start thinking about it your going to start writing a shopping list or sing a song etc! Hopefully it will go soon if it is anxiety related!

So
07-10-14, 22:41
Thankyou so much for your replies :) it's been driving me up the wall tonight, I've even started thinking what if it's a brain tumour (wayyyy overthinking!) but since I have been listening to music it's really calmed down and so have I. Really think my anxiety had loads to do with it too!

Serenity1990
07-10-14, 22:45
My completely medically-unfounded hypothesis is visual snow, BFS and tinnitus are all part of the same thing. :shrug:

.Poppy.
08-10-14, 00:05
I have it when I go to bed at night. I HAVE to sleep with my fan on, or I can't sleep for the ringing in my ears. I guess I'm lucky that only pure silence causes it to bother me.

It's annoying, but sleeping with a fan really helps to sleep, at least. If you can train your mind not to focus on it you'll be better off. Look on the bright side: at least it's not dangerous!

belvedia
08-10-14, 00:08
Tinnitus can be aggravated by a lot of things, including colds and allergies that affect your ears. It could also just be random! Try listening to music or putting on some sort of soundscape like Rainymood when it bothers you, that could help you relax and help it fade away.

So
08-10-14, 00:21
Thankyou so much you've helped put my mind at ease :) I have JUST got over a bad cold so that could have something to do with it too! Listening to calming music really helps me

Abarth
10-10-14, 00:26
Hi there I posted this on a similar thread a while back, it still seems relevant here.....
'Hi there, sorry you're suffering with this. Sounds like classic tinitus. It can either take on a high pitched hiss or a low thrumbing sound. It is a condition that is invariably heightened by stress; both because your mind will fixate on it and also because anxiety cause tension in the neck muscles that makes it worse. I have quite intrusive tinitus, mainly through ear problems as a kid and subsequently not using ear plugs on my motorcycle! I'm going through an anxiety episode at the moment and the tinitus seems really loud and of course one immediately starts thinking its something more sinister, when it isn't. If you visit your GP, they can refer you to have your hearing checked and ears for a middle/inner ear infection, but you may well find that you will gradually notice it less. GPs tend to be fairly well genned up on this, so it may be worth a visit to satisfy yourself, they can also prescribe certain meds that can calm the symptoms, but you are unlikely to need that. They will also check your blood pressure etc to rule out hypertension. You will probably find it is worse with a cold as your tubes clog up. Any which way, it is unlikely to be too traumatic.
Wish you all the best, try to relax a little and I bet it will ease, but dont be afraid to check with your docs if you are really worried or as an alternative to googling a false diagnosis (something we are all guilty of!!).'

I still get, but tend not to notice unless i'm looking for it. I use various sleep apps, especially rain/storm apps at night, it helps relax me and blends away the tinitus. The less you worry, the better it will be. All the best.
A