PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack while teaching

Doolittle
07-10-14, 22:04
I am looking for some help and advice from anyone who has encountered a similar experience to mine or who is in the teaching profession and suffers with anxiety and stress.

I completed my training year as a secondary teacher last year, and in the last months of the course, began having panic attacks linked to a traumatic event I had been through during the beginning of the year and the stress of teaching itself. I can't express how much this knocked my confidence; I went from enjoying teaching to dreading standing in front of a class for fear of having another anxiety attack.

I had sought help for anxiety and stress previously, due to issues I have surrounding a difficult childhood. However, my GP didn't do a lot to help.

I ended up quiting my teaching after finishing the course, but I was unsuccessful in finding work in another profession, so accepted the job again as my employers offered a part time contract.

I now work 4 days a week and so far this term, have been doing pretty well. Although, even working 4 days as a week as a secondary teacher, I am constantly snowed under with work and I find this hard. Also, as you can imagine, dealing with difficult teenagers on a regular basis can be extremely stressful.

I think I just find the profession to be extremely pressured and this really doesn't help with the stress and anxiety I suffer with. Today, I had another panic attack in front of a Year 11 class (which luckily I managed to hide), however, I am now worrying about this happening again.

Would love some support from anxiety sufferers. I'm only 22 and don't understand why I am suffering so badly, just want to lead a normal life.

gauss101
08-10-14, 00:00
Hi,
I can totally sympathise with your position. I have taught maths, in various colleges, for the last 15 years and loved every second until last year. Suddenly, I would have a panic attack and have try to continue the lesson. Not easy, if you're trying to teach a complex equation and stay in control. After a lot of persistence, I had a lot of time off trying to overcome this fear. I've been advised to take CBT therapy, on a one to one basis, to readjust my thinking. Although I've been through some personal problems and work very hard, I cannot understand why this is happening now.
A friend of mine, that teaches counselling, said that around 40% of her clients are academics. No real surprise considering the pressure we are put under.
If you can, try to stick with it and remember your breathing and that it will pass. You're not on your own, there are hundreds of us all feeling the same, everyday. I'll let you know how the CBT goes, if you like, and it may help you as well. Keep the faith. Terry. ;o)))))

Doolittle
08-10-14, 22:26
Thank you for your post Terry, it's good to know I am not the only one who suffers.

I feel the same, it's so frustrating when I have the anxiety attacks because I can't comprehend why they just suddenly hit me when I can be having a perfectly normal day.

My thoughts are at the moment, it must be down to the stress of the job. I don't want to carry on living like this. Think I am going to try and finish the year and then I may look for another career. Sounds drastic but I don't want my health to suffer for the sake of my work life.

Just out of interest, have you mentioned anything to your colleagues? I'm too embarrassed to say anything so I just try and hide the attacks as much as possible. Not sure whether this is helping though because I then feel more pressure not to let the anxiety effect me.

gauss101
08-10-14, 22:55
I told my line manager, who then told me HE was having therapy. I felt the same as yourself. I love being out the front, it's the best part of the job but it became too much. We often hear of teacher burnout and I wonder if that's what has happened to me. I really hope not and I'll do whatever it takes to get back to my old self.
I would talk to your line manager because there is help available. Also, if you're in the union, then help is there too. I don't know if I should post this but Phenergan, an antihistamine, is a mild sedative. This could help you and it is available over the counter at any chemist. I have found it helps calm you down. It may be best to check with your GP first, though.
It would be such a shame to lose a career that you've worked so hard for but if the pain is too much, then let it go. There is always private tuition, or when you feel more together, come back to it.
If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. ;o)))))0

Doolittle
12-10-14, 17:35
I may speak to my NQT mentor and tell her how I'm feeling, I've been a bit embarrassed about it but think it would take some of the pressure off if I know that the school are aware.

I am considering going to my doctor and discussing some form of anti-depressant medication to help me through this tricky time. I didn't really want to have to go on any tablets but if it helps control the anxiety then I think it would definitely be worth it. Do you find the tablets you are on help a lot?

My parents feel the same, I spoke to them today and they are keen for me to see out the year and then move on to something else if I still feel the same. I was all for leaving at Xmas but I do agree, don't want to quit at the first hurdle and for it to look bad on my CV. Will just try and hold on until the summer. Maybe we could support each other until then? I would definitely be interested in finding out how you're getting on.

Thanks again for your suport and advice!

gauss101
12-10-14, 23:14
No worries. I understand how you feel and that only you are experiencing it.
I think you're wise talking to your mentor. Don't worry. They won't laugh, put you down or think you're weird. Anxiety and depression are rife in the profession. In fact, I nearly wet myself laughing when it was announced, that we may have to take an oath, if Labour win the next election. Anything else they would like us to do?
I know you may not want to resort to medication but it could help you through this rough patch. Without wanting to sound patronising, I have been teaching for a long time and you learn to do some things on autopilot. So, it does get easier with time and experience. I keep all my lesson plans, schemes of work and resources, so I don't have to keep reinventing the wheel.
I'm still waiting for my first CBT appointment. When I've been I'll let you know how it went. I'm going with an open mind and I've heard that it can help turn things around by making you rethink your approach to life and your fears.
Keep in touch and keep the faith. ;o))))

Catherine S
13-10-14, 00:33
I cannot offer any advice but can only offer my admiration for anybody teaching students over the age of 11! Hats off to you for sure, and at age 22 you're not much older than A-level students...do they take you seriously? My oldest daughter teaches in an infants school and loves every minute of it. Can I ask why you chose to teach in high school?

ISB x