PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre Fears?

bulan
08-10-14, 09:20
Does anyone deal with bizarre fears, in addition to regular health anxiety?

I'm thinking of far-fetched scenarios, like imagining that a test will lead to a discovery of something sinister, which will lead to the need for surgery, which surgeons will botch, causing life-changing (or even life-ending) damage in the process...

I have an MRI scheduled, and my imagination takes me down ridiculous paths like this in a matter of seconds. I've already imagined myself waking up from surgery paralyzed, or not waking up at all and doctors giving my family the news. Useless!

I really wish my mind didn't work this way... It adds insult to injury, where health anxiety is concerned.

chickpea
08-10-14, 09:26
It's an incredibly common thought process for anxiety sufferers - called catastrophising. It goes hand in hand with the other things we do, like mind reading and fortune telling.:)
I do it - I've had to have blood tests recently and have spent the week since convinced that they will be abnormal, I have cancer that no-one noticed, it will be untreatable...I have even imagined having to plan my own funeral, writing letters to my children, my husband meeting someone new...!!:wacko:

firecracker777
08-10-14, 17:29
Yep, I am so worried about this as well. If they find something and they have to do surgery I am so afraid I won't wake up from it. I've actually put off having my wisdom teeth removed because of this.