PDA

View Full Version : New Job After Long Term Sick - Advice?

inthemind85
08-10-14, 14:54
Hi All,

I'm in a little bit of a dilemma, hope you all can help!

I've been out of my current job for a while now after suffering with panic attacks and severe social anxiety. I'm starting to feel better in myself but has taken some time (I haven't taken meds). I have come to realise that the SA hasn't really gone away, but I know the current job I'm in isn't a career I want anymore (IT).

There is another job going in a company I worked with 10 years ago. It's a fantastic working environment compared to where I am now. Although the work isn't technical and there is a pay drop, the social advantages out weigh the work disadvantages.

My question is this, do I 'phase back' to my current job, and THEN apply for this new job i'm after, or do I go in cold after months of being off work due to panic attacks?

I really do not want to go back to my current employer. I have considered looking into voluntary work as a means of padding out my employment gaps and getting me back into the swing of an office environment (at my own pace).

I also understand the risks involved with this - i'm putting all my hopes into one role in one company, all my eggs in one basket, if the interview doesn't go well then I have to start over again (if i HAVE to find somewhere else then I will).

I have no financial worries and i'm not in debt (live with parents).

Have any of you left a current job and then started from scratch after long term sick? How did the interview go? Do you regret not going back to your last job or using it as a 'stepping stone' to a new job?

HalfJack
09-10-14, 01:45
I've got a lot of gaps in my CV which has been quite a problem for me but only because I've got multiple gaps, I've moved around the country a lot and I've not been in the same job for more than a year.

If you have one recent gap it might not matter so much, providing you can explain why. It's much easier to get a job when you're already employed but if you've worked there before I assume they already know that they like you and volunteering always looks good.

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-14, 03:38
The ultimate question is whether you can go back and beat the anxiety, whether going back will make it worse or whether you will join the new company with the same anxiety issues to beat.

The move is a risk but if you don't plan on staying, perhaps its one worth taking? The thing for me is that you need to ask yourself whether your anxiety is because of your current job or not. If its all the current job then a move to another job is the way forward. But if your anxiety is there regardless, you will still have to deal with it in starting at a new job.

Another thing to consider is where you sit with your current employer. Do you have cover for the time you need to recover or are you advancing through a capability process towards a termination?

Having no financial concerns is a really big advantage as many would have this holding them back.

Voluntary work is a good move as you can phase yourself back in with a more rewarding role.

I went back to my employer after my GAD developed and I was on long term sick. I regret it but I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to brave a move either. When I relapsed, after years of them making me worse, I decided after 9 months of trying to get them to make reasonable adjustments with little success that they were a dead loss. I found myself asking whether I was going to stay even if they did make them and the answer was no. I used to really like the place but towards the end I hated it, it wasn't fulfilling anymore so just led me into depression over a lack of any worth.

inthemind85
14-10-14, 16:21
The ultimate question is whether you can go back and beat the anxiety, whether going back will make it worse or whether you will join the new company with the same anxiety issues to beat.

The move is a risk but if you don't plan on staying, perhaps its one worth taking? The thing for me is that you need to ask yourself whether your anxiety is because of your current job or not. If its all the current job then a move to another job is the way forward. But if your anxiety is there regardless, you will still have to deal with it in starting at a new job.

Another thing to consider is where you sit with your current employer. Do you have cover for the time you need to recover or are you advancing through a capability process towards a termination?

Having no financial concerns is a really big advantage as many would have this holding them back.

Voluntary work is a good move as you can phase yourself back in with a more rewarding role.

I went back to my employer after my GAD developed and I was on long term sick. I regret it but I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to brave a move either. When I relapsed, after years of them making me worse, I decided after 9 months of trying to get them to make reasonable adjustments with little success that they were a dead loss. I found myself asking whether I was going to stay even if they did make them and the answer was no. I used to really like the place but towards the end I hated it, it wasn't fulfilling anymore so just led me into depression over a lack of any worth.

I agree, it's a big decision to make. I've been getting CBT privately and it's really been helping, I've also been feeling better in myself lately but still don't think I feel quite ready for work yet.

I have 'imagined' going back to my current job, and the thought of it almost brought on a panic attack. I know the people there aren't evil, but it's very much a 'work hard, play hard' office.

The dilemma I feel is, do I stick with my current job, which is technically demanding and pays well, is a close location to me, but is not too good socially. Or do I go for a new job, less money, less technical, but potential for a nicer working environment?

It's always a gamble moving jobs and making new relationships, but given the fact I have no debt or financial responsibilities, it can't really be a mistake either way?

MyNameIsTerry
15-10-14, 05:24
For me, I would be choosing what is best for my health. Having a better more nourishing role is going to have an impact on various areas of your mental health.

I don't won't to influence you, it would be inappropriate as only you can decide this but even if you go back to your current role, I would encourage you to look for something else anyway because the longer you stay, the more chance of falling back into the negative cycles and the potential will be there for relapse if you can't get beyond the anxiety. I've been there and I know I should have left before the rot set back in again because the work environment was never going to change due to the people who kept it that way.

A risk is that you lose your financial support by transferring from an employer where you have more benefits due to length of service. If you can live without this, then you can afford to take a chance. If the new employee doesn't help your anxiety, maybe it will be less stressful and you will tolerate it or work your way back in? Or maybe it won't and you will need to go off sick again which is perhaps more of an issue as a new employee but are you any worse off this way?

For me, the mistake is not helping yourself get better. So, does one of these options present that possibility?

inthemind85
15-10-14, 15:02
For me, I would be choosing what is best for my health. Having a better more nourishing role is going to have an impact on various areas of your mental health.

I don't won't to influence you, it would be inappropriate as only you can decide this but even if you go back to your current role, I would encourage you to look for something else anyway because the longer you stay, the more chance of falling back into the negative cycles and the potential will be there for relapse if you can't get beyond the anxiety. I've been there and I know I should have left before the rot set back in again because the work environment was never going to change due to the people who kept it that way.

A risk is that you lose your financial support by transferring from an employer where you have more benefits due to length of service. If you can live without this, then you can afford to take a chance. If the new employee doesn't help your anxiety, maybe it will be less stressful and you will tolerate it or work your way back in? Or maybe it won't and you will need to go off sick again which is perhaps more of an issue as a new employee but are you any worse off this way?

For me, the mistake is not helping yourself get better. So, does one of these options present that possibility?

Thanks for the reply!

I have come to realise that my social anxiety is independent of any job, but work can make it worse (depending on colleagues and office environment). I have incredible difficulty making eye contact and can be awkward around people. Bearing that in mind, whether I go back to my current job or not won't change my anxious behaviours. I do feel like a change of atmosphere and career could be just the thing to make life interesting again (I have been working in IT Support for 7 years). I will have to deal with the anxiety as best I can (possibly meds in the near future).

Because IT is a career i've always wanted to be in (and it pays well!), my conscience says it's a huge mistake if I dump it for something less involving, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices to be happier I guess!

If I do make a 'mistake' and realise a) the anxiety hasn't gone away or b) I should have stayed in IT, I can always re-train/re-apply in a few years. Having 7 years of IT on my CV will certainly make me employable in that regard.

The onset of panic attacks earlier this year has made me realise I need to make 'me' the top priority.

MyNameIsTerry
16-10-14, 04:15
I think you are right there. I was faced with a similiar situation after 11 years in my career and I had to prioritise my health as the level of pressure was likely to make me susceptible to relapse...what would I want less money or a relapse? Think of it that way.

It can depend on your stage in life as well. As you get older you may see your attitude to work change to one that looks more for fulfillment as opposed to chasing the promotions.

You have a plan to reverse this if you need to, so any risk seems short term but you have lots to gain. Think about doing a move like this when you are tied down with a mortgage or family? Then you may find it much harder, so if you want to try something out, now is a better time.

I agree over the anxiety too. Whilst mine started due to the pressure of my work, I was anxious in general so its an issue I nhave to deal with for any job but there are some jobs that are bound to put me under more pressure. Its good that you have recognised this because it sounds like you are looking for long term resolution as opposed to putting pressure on yourself to sort it before going back which might not always be possible.

Good luck!