PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Files From Mobile Phone To Computer

Ross
30-12-06, 23:45
Uploading Images From Your Mobile Phone To Your PC

There are several ways to upload images from your camera phone to your PC, but are not limited to;

Direct Cable Connection
Infra-Red Connection
BlueTooth Connection

To find out if these are features you have on your Mobile Phone, please consult the Users Manual which came with your Handset.

Direct Cable Connection: This is a cable which physically joins your phone to your computer. You can buy these cables from your local Mobile Phone Store. Take your phone with you, so you get the right cable, as a different cable is used for different handsets. The connection to the computer is a generic USB, which every computer under 8 years old should have.

The cable should come with a CD, with software which will enable the phone and the computer to communicate. Full instructions will come with the Software on how to transfer pictures, movies, sounds etc to and from your phone. (Transfer Is Free)

Infra-Red Connection: This method of connectivity is Wireless. Most modern phones have Infra-Red capabilities, and Infra-Red is more commonly found on Laptop Computers as opposed to their Desktop counterparts. If your computer has Infra-Red, your Operating System (Windows 95, 98, Me, NT, XP Home, XP Pro, 2000, Vista) will support Infra-Red data transfer. Please Note that with Infra-Red, the phone and computer’s Infra-Red ports must be visible to each other, and ideally not more than 10cm’s apart. (Transfer Is Free)

BlueTooth Connection: This method of connectivity is Wireless. Most Modern phones have BlueTooth capabilities. BlueTooth within Computers is a relatively new idea, and only the most modern, and high spec computers will have it as standard. A BlueTooth Dongle can be purchased from Internet Auction Sites, or Computer Shops for between £5 and £15. It will come with the Software which will enable rapid transfer of files from the phone to the computer and visa versa. The Dongle is a generic USB connection, which every computer under 8 years old should have. With BlueTooth, there is no need for the phone and the computer to physically see each other. They can generally be up to 10metres or so apart. (Transfer Is Free)

If you spot any errors in this post, please PM me so I can rectify them. Thank You

kazzie
31-12-06, 14:16
CHEERS ROSS

RIGHT STUPID QUESTION TIME???

HOW DO I KNOW IF MY LAPTOP HAS INFRA RED????

LUV KAZ X X X

Ross
31-12-06, 20:42
Hi Kaz. The easiest way to check if your Laptop has Infra-Red is to look in the Device Manager.

To do this, (Windows XP);
Start > Control Panel > Performance & Maintenance > System

or Classic View;
Start > Control Panel > System

Once you have double clicked the System Icon, a Window will appear (System Properties). At the top of the Window, you will see various Tabs.

Click the Hardware Tab. Then click Device Manager Button. A new Window will appear.

This window lists all of the devices currently installed in your computer. (note they are alphabetically listed)

If you have Infra-Red on your Laptop, you will see in the list "Infrared devices".
A Picture of this is Here --> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/SysInfo.jpg

Now you need to locate the RX/TX ports on your laptop. (Receive and Transmit)
They are normally on the side of the laptop.
A Picture of this is Here --> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/IRPort.jpg

ALL Mobile Phones are different, so it will be impossible for me to give you exact instructions on how to send an image from your phone, so here is how it 'normally' works.

Go to your Phone Gallery (where all your pictures are stored). Select the image you want to upload onto your Computer. Options > Send > Via Infra-Red. Now you need to line up the Infra-Red port on your phone, to the one on your computer so that they can physically see each other (distance less than 10cm).
A Picture of this is Here --> http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i85/rossinbristol22/Trans.jpg

A window will open on your computer, asking if you would like to accept, or decline the transfer. Click accept.

The file will be placed on your desktop.

chillx
31-12-06, 20:58
Hi Ross,

Thanks for the useful information.

Some phones now have a memory card slot. Photos can be saved directly onto the card and that can then be slotted into your PC or laptop. My son bought me a 30-in 1 USB2 Card Reader which is brilliant it just plugs into my USB port and it takes cards from my digital cameras and mobile phone.

chillx

Ross
31-12-06, 21:04
Spot On Chillx.

With the physical size of memory cards reducing, even some mobiles have them. Incredible how fast technology moves eh?

kazzie
01-01-07, 19:13
Thanx Ross

will give it a go!!!

luv kaz x