PDA

View Full Version : Panicking over Rose Thorn

Carnation
09-10-14, 01:55
Was out in the garden pruning the roses and got pricked by a thorn. Panicking because people tell me you can die from this. How long do I have to wait for the 'safe' period?

HalfJack
09-10-14, 01:59
Is the thorn in your finger? Or did it just prick you?

Carnation
09-10-14, 02:07
It pricked my finger and lots of blood came out. I was panicking like crazy. This was 8 hours ago. I feel ok, sore finger, but people have said you can die!?!? :scared15:

HalfJack
09-10-14, 02:18
I'm not an expert but the only time I've heard of anything like that was a few very old people who got an infection from a rose thorn stuck in their finger, that they didn't seek treatment for in time.
Like any cut, clean it, look after it and shouldn't be a bother at all :) Me, my boyfriend and his father have pricked ourselves on our roses tons of times this summer.

Carnation
09-10-14, 02:21
Thanks HalfJack. I am think I am ok, Finger does not look infected and I feel ok. :)

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-14, 04:20
Its a tetanus thing Carnation. The same can be said for any spikey objects or rusty things.

Just clean it out as HJ says and then keep an eye on it to see if any infection develops in which case see your GP. Its really unlikely that an infection will develop, people cut their hands doing gardening all the time as well as many other outdoor tasks so it would be a major national health concern if it were likely.

For some perspective, my dad was a landscape gardener for around 30 years and had these types of things literally all the time. He never had any issues at all.

Rennie1989
09-10-14, 09:26
My mother has been pricked by rose thorns more times then I care to think of, she even had a rose twig imbedded into her hand 4-5 inches deep (I exaggerate not), which required a tetanus jab, nothing more. A small prick from a rose thorn is not enough to knock down a healthy human being.

Carnation
10-10-14, 01:55
Thanks for your replies and words of wisdom. I am still Alive and there is no redness so I think I am going to be ok. :)

Tessar
11-10-14, 22:44
Hey carnation. I wouldn't worry, honestly. I have been pricked by roses or brambles in the garden more times than I can remember. I've had ones that are sore for a week. Others I don't notice. Been had one where I brushed against rose bush, was aware it "got me" (on my upper arm) then two years later wondered what this little black mark was and realised that part of the thorn was coming out. I was amazed actually that it had been there and not caused any trouble all that time. I really really wouldn't worry. I have had worse cat scratches than rose thorn damage and even those healed for me. Hugs.