PDA

View Full Version : Nick Clegg vows coalition to boost mental health services with £120m

MyNameIsTerry
09-10-14, 07:49
I saw this on one of the nationals front pages today and thoughts it worthy of a thread:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/08/mental-health-care-120m-funding-waiting-time-targets-nick-clegg

Clegg also wants to add targets for waiting times which will be very useful given we are still managed by local trusts who offer different services to their neighbours, as proven by members on this website.

Personally, I don't think this helps people in my area at all because we already have a 30 day to Level 2 referral process. Sadly, its after that that it starts to fall apart and it almost feels like Level 2 is a plaster because in my area you can't access the required level unless you advance through them which is just bureaucracy.

The strange thing was that when I read a national in the supermarket it said there were concerns that the data did not evidence a need for quicker services! :doh::mad:

Rennie1989
09-10-14, 09:22
Remember, this is Clegg we're talking about. The same guy who promised all these great things and didn't keep to them during the coalition. I'm pissed that the health service discriminates against me and I would love there to be change, but Clegg won't do a thing.

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-14, 05:11
I agree, the only chance we have is that Cameron or Milliband will latch onto it. Everybody else isn't worth considering unless UKIP keep building but the Lib Dems will never be worth anything. Its strange to think that the Liberals in their original form were one of the strongest political parties that had many a term in the hot seat.

Churchill was a known alcoholic and depression sufferer so maybe we will get Charles Kennedy back!

I think the issue with the NHS now is more financial than stigma. I think a lot of them understand it, especially at the higher levels but the problem is that its a bit of a bottomless pit so they just use the plaster technique. They prefer physical issues as they can monitor them to recovery much easier and the vast majority can be dealt with in the same financial year.

Something that annoys me is that Labour brought in timescales but chose to leave mental illness out of it. Surely thats discrimination? What am I saying, discrimination at government level is fine!