PDA

View Full Version : Does Anxiety Stop You Leaving The House? Easy Way To Keep Fit

imageek
09-10-14, 16:36
Note, in the UK jumping rope is called skipping. I am referring to that.

My anxiety limits what I can do and I rarely leave the house unless it's after 11pm. I am nocturnal, and dislike walking outside when it's late for a number of reasons thanks to anxiety.

This stops me exercising. Which starts a downward spiral because I then worry that I am getting unfit and that in itself causes more anxiety problems.

So, what I've decided to do now - and you can try this to - is skipping. I drink a lot of tea, so every time I make a cup of tea I do 5-10 minutes skipping. It's a very good cardio exercise, and really gets the blood pumping.

This helps to fight the effects of the medication, and also helps improve fitness which itself improves confidence and reduces anxiety.

Great way to keep fit :D

SADnomore
09-10-14, 19:36
Sounds like fun! :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-14, 03:50
You might find Tiny Goals useful then as it works on the same principles in that it associates 2 activities together that are short in length which allows our brains to accept them more easily in becoming new behaviour. Its by a guy called BJ Fogg from Stanford University.

http://tinyhabits.com/

I think its a really useful concept because it can be demotivating to take on somewthing big when you have an anxiety disorder but this would allow for smaller quick goals that you could always build up to become a bigger whole.

P.S. skipping is better than running so its good at cardio, the boxing community can't be wrong on that! There is loads you can do in the house such as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which is the best for cardio or body weight exercises. This guy, BJ Fogg, began with press ups when he went to the toilet.

imageek
10-10-14, 12:10
You might find Tiny Goals useful then as it works on the same principles in that it associates 2 activities together that are short in length which allows our brains to accept them more easily in becoming new behaviour. Its by a guy called BJ Fogg from Stanford University.

http://tinyhabits.com/

I think its a really useful concept because it can be demotivating to take on somewthing big when you have an anxiety disorder but this would allow for smaller quick goals that you could always build up to become a bigger whole.

P.S. skipping is better than running so its good at cardio, the boxing community can't be wrong on that! There is loads you can do in the house such as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) which is the best for cardio or body weight exercises. This guy, BJ Fogg, began with press ups when he went to the toilet.

Ah, awesome. I will defiantly be checking that out.

HalfJack
10-10-14, 15:06
Nice one!