PDA

View Full Version : What do you say?

mermaid
09-10-14, 20:09
Hopefully back to work soon after time off sick and just wondering what to say to my colleagues when they ask what's been wrong?
I have confided in only a few I am closest to but I work with lots of peeps during my work day and don't want to tell them but don't want to lie!

Mermaid

gregcool
09-10-14, 20:13
Mental health nowdays is widely known and common,i would tell them why iv been off if it was me,there is nothing to be ashamed of or hide away from,if they are good friends they will support you and understand.but thats my view

MyNameIsTerry
10-10-14, 03:35
It can be tricky but you have to also remember that they know you have been off for a while and will have been speculating about why you were off which is just human nature. Please don't feel bad about them wondering this because it happens no matter why someone is off, its just natural curiosity and you may consider it more than others because of the personal nature of why you have been off.

When I returned after being off nearly a year, nobody really mentioned the reasons why but just asked me how I was. There was the odd person but I just said only a little about it and then the conversation drifted. I didn't experience any stigma, whether that happened behind my back I don't know but you can't think about that as it takes you back into "What if" and catastrophizing thoughts. Besides, if anyone does, you have the right to make a complaint as mental health issues are well covered in the law thesedays and your employer will be well aware that abuse on this subject is the same as abuse against someones age, gender or sexuality.

Good luck and try not to worry about it. Just take it as it comes and I'm sure you will find people will be just glad to see you. Have a chat and have a laugh with them and they won't even think about it.