PDA

View Full Version : How to accept diagnosis (I'm sorry it's so long!)

CleverLittleViper
09-10-14, 20:31
This is what I'm struggling with right now, and I wish I wasn't.

Accepting the diagnosis of anxiety. It all began when I started noticing my hands going numb-it began with my right hand (my dominant one) and slowly swept over to my left. I was dx. initially with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and I personally believe that is what I have. The diagnostic tests confirm my suspicions.

Well, the first GP I saw, asked a few questions that left me reeling, and I wasn't entirely "honest" with her about my history. It must be noted that I never normally go to the GP. I think the last time I was there was in July 2013 for a routine smear and that was only because I couldn't avoid it...

She asked if I'd ever had any vision problems. I said, "No," because I didn't think it was relevant. My vision problems were way back in March, and it wasn't my vision, per se, but more the fact that I had dry, itchy and sore eyes that resembled more like eye strain symptoms for a while. No blurred vision, no blind spots, no colour blindness and no double vision at all.

Plus, I'd been to the opticians the Monday of that week, and my eye test confirmed that my eyes were perfectly fine and healthy. So, I declared that I'd never suffered with vision problems which was a lie.

Well, she ordered some routine blood tests to check for things like my thyroid, my thyroid function, my cholesterol, my vitamin b12 levels, just to give me an all-round health check, and to see if maybe my thyroid was causing the CTS. Though she suspected it was just something that may come and go of its own accord, so she delayed treatment until she saw how it played out.

Since then, I've dealt with:
1) Numb hands and feet
2) Cold extremities
3) Insomnia
4) Persistent pressure headache/migraine
5) Numb/tight face
6) Constant dizziness but this may be caused by the Propranolol or the Amitriptyline.
7) Internal shakes
8) Vibration/buzzing sensation, especially in legs
9) Electric shocks/pricks/zingers
10) Frequent urination
11) Loss of appetite/weight loss
12) Lump in throat/difficulty swallowing/feeling like tongue is swollen
13) Muscles aches and cramps
14) Stiffness and weakness of limbs/joints
15) Nausea

I've seen two doctors, and both reached the same conclusion, that I have severe anxiety. One doctor did a physical exam-he checked behind my eyes, my reflexes, my blood pressure, my strength, my grip, etc. He couldn't find anything discernible wrong with me, except for my anxiety.

The other, my regular GP, didn't do any physical exam, but she did report back to me about my blood work up, and declared that they were all normal and healthy. :yahoo: Great, right?

Well, me being me, and it being the time of year it is (I'm an SAD sufferer which triggers my HA and OCD) can't let go of the suggestion of the disease that may not be named. (Clue: it's something that HA sufferers commonly fear two words...) My GP declares that it is not something I have to worry about, and says that unless I believe her, there's nothing she can say about that.

I've been buzzing non-stop for the past few days. Especially in my left leg. I read that sufferers of the disease that shall not be named get electric shocks and then I start getting them, and I pretty much always feel like I'm stuck on a boat somewhere, even when sitting down. As I say, that could be because of my meds.

If 2 doctors reach the same conclusion, they can't be wrong, can they? I mean, I have to stop consulting Dr Google and start listening to the professionals. If I don't, I'm surely just going to continue down the same path for no reason other than I do not like uncertainty. Because the disease that shall not be named is hard to test for, as in, I'd need a referral, and I'm not getting one, I can't just simply put it to bed.

In 2011, I feared having HIV. That was easy to deal with. I skipped on down to the clinic, got a test and a week later, I was in the clear. Hey presto. Now, I'm left, forced to trust my doctor who I keep thinking "Well, she hasn't physically examined me...so how can she know for sure?" Then, I think, well, the second doctor did examine me, and he came up with the same result as she has, so she's probably bang on the money.

I've experienced HA before, and anxiety before, but never like this. I don't know what has made me react so physically this time round. But I have, and that's why, I think, I'm having such difficulty accepting the diagnosis, but I know acceptance is the first step towards healing, and away from feeling like this.

Does anyone have any tips on accepting the diagnosis? I apologise that this has been a long post. It's not likely that both doctors are wrong, is it?

KLP
09-10-14, 20:57
Evening, it's been nearly a year now, with multiple tests. And like you I still find it hard to believe. Believing is the very first step. (Ironic statement!). Tonight will be my first night taking anti depressants. I was doing well over the summer, and now feel like I have taken a few steps back.

Good luck

CleverLittleViper
09-10-14, 21:05
Thank you. :flowers:

Good luck too. I'm on anti-ds, as well. They're not so bad, mine are Amitriptyline, not been on them long, but so far, they're good for getting a few hours sleep in.

Irish89
21-10-14, 19:01
CleverLittleViper

I think I am your twin. I know exactly how you feel. I have the same fear about the same disease ( that shall not be named)!!

I have had and still have almost every symptom you have described above. At the moment the one that is bothering me the most is the prickling sensation on my skin!!

I was waking up during the night with a dead arm and severe pins and needles - it was terrifying!! I have been going for physio with the last month - turns out I have a trapped nerve due to bad posture etc, i.e nothing to make me feel too panicky! The improvements have been great but I am still convinced I have that same disease.

Like you I have been to the doctor a few times.

The first doctor did a physical examination- similarly to you he checked my reflexes, my muscle strength and grip ( got me to push against him etc), he checked the soles of my feet with a spikey instrument that made me squirm and he checked the backs of my eyes which he said were perfect. He told me that I did not have that disease and had nothing to worry about and that everything he checked was perfect. He said I had severe anxiety.

The second time I went to my doctor I had blood tests done. He said he would check everything - thyroid, platelets, inflammation levels etc. Everything came back completely normal!!

It is reassuring but only for a small amount of time!! I have started CBT and have been advised to take meds but im not sure!!

Im just glad that someone else has a story that seems identical to mine- it provided some comfort to me so I hope my story helps you too.

Mindknot
22-10-14, 11:20
I think most health anxiety sufferers are in the same boat with this - I'm the same, didn't go to the doctors for years (sort of fearing I think that they would tell me something bad), then this year i've been back and forth like a yo-yo. Problem is, I went after having a full blown panic attack, so now my doctor worries are two-fold:

1/ I might've forgotten to tell them ALL my symptoms, or wasted time telling them the wrong symptoms

2/ That now they know I have health anxiety, what if they tell me my symptom is just anxiety when in fact it is not.

However all my bloods were fine apparently, and am told that none of my symptoms have been going on long (or regularly) enough to be a cause for concern. I.e. as far as they are concerned, totally fine - does not stop me finding new symptoms though of course, and concentrating on them too much.

Up top of the list at the mo are tired looking/acting eyes (although I had two eye tests fairly recently and have new glasses) and nodes that are up in my neck, that have stuck around for a while (but quite possibly due to daily checking - I know I've been bad, because my skin there is also covered in spots!), I'm going hands off for a week or two to see if it goes down... I got the impression from my doctor last visit that in the grand scheme of most conditions, a couple of weeks won't make much difference in diagnosis anyway.

It's hard, but accepting that it's anxiety for a least a while - might help you rebalance your thinking with regard to 'symptoms'. Personally my symptom focus has completely changed from 6 months ago, and that suggests that it quite likely IS my anxiety causing the problems not anything else...

anxietysucks5678
24-10-14, 18:35
Oh my, literally everything both you and mindknot have said is what I am thinking and feeling. I'm so glad it's not just me. At least you know your not alone in this. I too have the same symptoms and worry massively about doctors not taking me seriously. Unfortunately (despite suffering for 5 years) I an only on the start of my 'seeing a GP' phase so can't help much there

anthrokid
24-10-14, 22:54
I guess it's really important for you to try and remember that doctors are professionals in physical health. This means that they are trained to look for ANYTHING that might indicate a serious illness. They see hundreds of people a week and thousands of symptoms. Not only that, but they also have to be constantly learning and researching as well to keep their licensing. If you've had all the routine checks and physicals, and you've seen two doctors, I'd be quite happy to take that as a good indication that you are physically healthy and fit :)