PDA

View Full Version : How to stop negative thoughts?

dj9928
31-12-06, 13:51
How do I go about stopping negative thoughts? I don't want to take meds, but I keep getting flashbacks of negative times when I was at rock bottom. I've tried reading etc, doing anything to stop them but eventually they come back.

Any advice

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

wendy
31-12-06, 14:25
Hi

Not much advise to give as I too struggle a lot with this one, prob one of the hardest parts to anxiety is the awful thoughts we get, I think by tryin distraction you are doing the right thing and think it is also important to remember that these are purely thoughts, they may be nasty and totally awful but those times are gone and can not cause you any harm, they will pass, try and set yourself positve tasks and as hard as it is try and focus on the future, and remember the future is where you going to have good times and then those good times will be your thoughts,

Take Care

nomorepanic
31-12-06, 14:31
You have to change the negatives into positives.

Not easy I know but it can be done. I sometimes think back to how bad I was with panic and that is a negative thought so I turn it into a positive one by looking at how far I have come now and what I have achieved. That is a positive thought.

Write down the negatives and then write something positive about each one.

E.G. I panic'd in the supermarket and it was awful and I thought I was going to pass out and die! NEGATIVE

I went to the supermarket last week and I didn't pass out and I am still alive! I coped and nothing terrible happened. POSITIVE

Just a thought anyway.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

nomorepanic
31-12-06, 14:32
Try this post as well.....

Dealing with negative thoughts (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7821)

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

dj9928
31-12-06, 14:36
Yes I have came along way myself. I would consider myselt to be 90% cured, however its the flashback to the horrible times that send me for 6, And I suppose its the fear that that could happen again is most frightening,

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

Melina
31-12-06, 15:18
Hello there,
I've suffered with negative thoughts for as long as I can remember - a couple of years ago my boyfriends brother borrowed me a book written by an American author called "How to talk to yourself" such as waking up in the morning and saying "I feel great today, I am going to have a great day", it's based on retraining your brain to think positively so that it becomes automatic, I will find out the author and let you know in case it might be some help to you. It has definately helped me during certain periods. Hopefully I wont get lost trying to get back to you as still trying to figure my way around the site (just registered yesterday)

matt1981
31-12-06, 15:21
i dont know if this makes much of a difference but my psychologist always uses the term "realistic thought" rather than positive i think he means it is the REALITY rather than positive which is an optimistic maybe slightly rose tinted view. Better than reality if u get what I mean.

tree
31-12-06, 16:17
Hey im new hear and ive same problems when recovering. I found that when i was feeling anxious if i done some exercise like a run or a bike ride it helps to burn off some negative energy. Sounds like your doing well chris

rmlamatt
31-12-06, 21:15
I thought the last message was the best. Exercise, will get your blood flowing in a different way making you feel healthy and also along with positive thoughts. Through those negative thoughts away. I found both worked for me. Forty years of fears and panic and what goes with them.

The best to you,
Rose

Don't walk in front of me I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend

stacyg
20-08-08, 05:12
i keep having thoughts that I am dying from a brain tumor, when ever i get a headache the fear comes over me. please help!!!!

Tre
20-08-08, 08:00
Stacey , don't worry about it - this is normal I freak out too when I get headaches. For some reason I always think I drink to much water and I'll die from water intoxication.... after a drink water and my head hurts i instanstly think im doomed.....

Now with you and the tumor thing, it's the thought of it that causes the headaches- your telling your head there is something wrong when there isnt.. brains are amazing .....if it were a tumor youd probably wouldnt be on this site atm,, :whistles: hehe

martindave64
18-11-13, 11:40
hi everybody new to this im off of my meds from dr, they wasnt really doing the job for me. I was on citalopram for 3 days and I felt terrible. I was taking quetiapin at nite as well to help sleep. I felt so bad one day I rang nhs 111 the dr who rung back told me to come off of both and use diazepam for a couple of days. I really don't know what to do for the best. Just recently lost my job, failed marriage and the death of both parents has left me a nervous wreck. I have had depression for some years now, but the anxiety has got worse. I also have some health anxiety having had some problems with health. My biggest fear and im embarrassed to say is of dying. Just want to be happy and well. Sorry for the rant. Any advice much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 ----------

PS could anyone tell me if its ok to take diazepam with kalms, if the kalms don't work???