PDA

View Full Version : Urinary problem anxiety

bobc
12-10-14, 12:34
Hi everyone

I am a 45 year old male and have suffered from health anxiety for most of my life. The last 5 days I've had a low level burning feeling in my urethra and frequent urinating. Oddly, the burning isn't overtly obvious while I'm urinating, only when I'm "at ease" so to speak.

I went to the out of hours doc yesterday and he took a dipstick test and said there are levels of blood in the sample not visible to the naked eye. He has put me on a antibiotic and suggested I follow up with my GP (I've booked the appointment). He said it could be a water infection or stones. I told him about my anxiety and he said that if I was a female they wouldn't even they wouldn't suggest a follow up but as I'm man he wants me to see my GP. They also sent my urine sample to the lab which worries me that they will come back with something sinister.

I've noticed ove the last couple of years I generally need to go pee during the night. Thinking of this, my age ,and the blood I feel very scared that I have cancer of the bladder, kidneys, prostate, etc. I looked at all of the medical websites and they have done nothing but elevate my fear. I should know better but I thought it would be comforting.

All of this is compounded by the fact a friend of mine in his 50's was diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer a few months ago and another friend died last week from kidney cancer (he had also went through bladder cancer in 2003).

I am very tearful and scared that I am sick. I am seeing a therapist to deal with my mortality anxiety but this all seems too much at the moment.

hanshan
12-10-14, 13:15
Hi Bobc,

As the doctor said, the first choice is an infection or kidney stones. Both of which are treatable.

People get a burning sensation for all sorts of reasons, most of them transient and of no particular importance. Ask women about burning sensations - it's very common among females.

As for getting up during the night to pee, it might be due to prostate enlargement (which is often benign). Get it checked out (also with a PSA test), but again, lots of people get up once or twice during the night with no particular physical problem.

AnnieMags
12-10-14, 13:21
My son (aged 39) recently had a very similar problem. He went to a walk-in centre while up here visiting us, and was given treatment, but told to go to his GP as urinary tract infections in men are always followed up, as they are much rarer than in women. So far, not reassuring for you, I do realise, but here is the good part: he did go to his GP and was referred for a hospital urology appointment, which he has just got - in three months' time!! They clearly do not consider it likely that it is anything sinister, otherwise he would have been seen much more quickly. He has done a bit of reading up, and the most likely scenario seems to be a small stone possibly causing some reflux of urine back into the bladder, resulting in irritation and/or infection. So - don't worry if your GP refers you to hospital, OK? You will be investigated and treated but it is so unlikely to be anything to worry about. Best wishes from Annie

bobc
12-10-14, 15:41
Thanks for your comments guys. I just feel such worried and can't stop dwelling on mortality. The invisible blood thing scares me a lot as it seems so serious.

AnnieMags
12-10-14, 15:58
I do understand that you are worried, as does anyone on this forum, as we all have the same anxiety problems! However, it is always easier to be objective about someone else's worry! :) As I understand it from my son's recent (and ongoing, as he is still pending the hospital appointment) episode, traces of blood in the urine is very common and rarely anything to worry about. It can be caused by a number of innocent conditions, like water infections and bladder irritation, stones, etc. Whatever causes your current symptoms, it is very unlikely to be anything serious. See your GP as planned, let him treat you and then you can put it all behind you. Best wishes from Annie

swanick15
12-10-14, 17:07
Your prostate will enlarge with age everyones does

MrAndy
12-10-14, 17:41
I've just had a horrible bladder infection that took two weeks of antibiotics to clear. I had blood and protein in my urine ,antibiotics should clear it up for you
I've had the camera for my prostrate and bladder which found nothing unusual
Go to the doctors and get it checked out,I doubt it's anything to worry about

sarahxxx
13-10-14, 13:19
last year i had traces of blood in urine so had to reapeat second one was fine this year it was albium worried me sick doc repeated it and was fine again hope this helps x

bobc
13-10-14, 16:26
I think that caffeine is definitely an irritant as I had a cappuccino at lunch today and a tiny bit of the burning sensation appeared. Back to the water and cranberry juice .
One thing that drives me crazy is that I can visualise the scenario of being told something catastrophic. All rational thought goes out the window.

bobc
14-10-14, 16:16
I got a text from my doc surgery saying that the results of the urine test that was sent off to the lab is normal and that no further action is needed at this stage. I feel better knowing they didn't find more blood.

hanshan
15-10-14, 12:50
Hi Bobc,

It's good to hear that the test was normal. Doctors run so many tests these days, the vast majority come back normal. As for the mortality thing, it's something you have to come to terms with in your own way. It's a journey, so good luck and best wishes are the least someone can wish you.

Monkeygirl
15-10-14, 17:46
Make sure you drink enough fluids like water as if you don't that can cause a burning sensation when going.

bobc
18-10-14, 16:16
I saw an after hours doc on Wed because i was almost out of antibiotics and wanted to know if i needed more. He did a dipstick test and the urine was clear. I described some of the achiness I was feeling in my legs and hippos and he said they could be a side affect of the antibiotics. I asked him about prostate,kidney, etc problems and he said that because amy symptoms came on quite suddenly that it;s unlikely to being anything sinister.

I had blood work done earlier this month as a check up and he pulled up the results and it all came back fine including kidney function and blood cell counts etc. That made me feel relieved as I understand that anything serious might show up in kidney function and red/white blood cell count. I'm still seeing my GP in a week to follow all of this up as suggested though I am a bit anxious of the "what if's".. what if he feels my prostate and says it large and suspicious feeling?

I am beging to think that my anxiety affected my symptoms and made what was there worse. Is this a common thing?