PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!! I'm freaking out!!! :(

JustBenn
12-10-14, 15:10
Hi,

I just typed in my symptoms online and most of them matches to the condition I'm terrified about, Temprol Lobe Epilepsy,

It also said it is difficult to fully control with medication alone, :ohmy:

Please chat with me, I don't know what to do or who to tell, The doctors is closed today. I'm very scared. I feel alone and I don't think I can cope with getting Epilepsy. :weep:

Fishmanpa
12-10-14, 15:20
This is what I would do. Find a similar symptom checker for anxiety and see if your symptoms match.

Positive thoughts

CleverLittleViper
12-10-14, 15:27
Google is not your friend.

I know we all use it. I'm guilty of it, too. I typed in bleeding mole a couple of weeks ago, and was told I was in late stage melanoma. :blush: I took it to my GP, and said it just looked irritated and wasn't anything to worry about. :blush:

See what happened there? I typed in a symptom, and went to the worst case scenario because that's what Google and HA does. Just because Google says it's so doesn't mean it is.

If you have any unusual symptoms, your GP should be your first port of call, not Google. And I speak from a lot of experience. You haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, so it is best to wait and see what the doctor has to say first before jumping to conclusions. As Fishmanpa rightly suggested, go and see if your symptoms match for anxiety. I thought I had MS (and a part of me still fears it hugely) to the point where I'd practically accepted it as a foregone conclusion, and then, realised how many of my symptoms match anxiety. Loads of bizarre ones too.

I hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

JustBenn
12-10-14, 15:36
This is what I would do. Find a similar symptom checker for anxiety and see if your symptoms match.

Positive thoughts

Google is not your friend.

I know we all use it. I'm guilty of it, too. I typed in bleeding mole a couple of weeks ago, and was told I was in late stage melanoma. :blush: I took it to my GP, and said it just looked irritated and wasn't anything to worry about. :blush:

See what happened there? I typed in a symptom, and went to the worst case scenario because that's what Google and HA does. Just because Google says it's so doesn't mean it is.

If you have any unusual symptoms, your GP should be your first port of call, not Google. And I speak from a lot of experience. You haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, so it is best to wait and see what the doctor has to say first before jumping to conclusions. As Fishmanpa rightly suggested, go and see if your symptoms match for anxiety. I thought I had MS (and a part of me still fears it hugely) to the point where I'd practically accepted it as a foregone conclusion, and then, realised how many of my symptoms match anxiety. Loads of bizarre ones too.

I hope you feel better soon. :flowers:

Thank you very much for replying, I hope you can still talk with me, :)

My symptom of Epilepsy is having Deja Vu, and random smell and taste,

I looked on this site, and both are in there,
is this a reliable site?

http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety-symptoms.shtml

nomorepanic
12-10-14, 15:53
Yes that site is reliable. Have you read the symptoms website page on NMP

JustBenn
12-10-14, 16:47
Yes that site is reliable. Have you read the symptoms website page on NMP

Hey there, Thanks, does it have the full symptoms list or just some of it?

Nicola, of all years you been on this forum, have you had questions on Deja Vu? Do YOU personally think its Anxiety related or is it always something sinister when it comes to that?

SADnomore
12-10-14, 18:13
Oh, Lord. Did you think I was blowing sunshine when I researched and reported back how 70% of people get deja vu? A common phenomena? A number of people then posted that they get it too, no big deal? And again, clearly, if your deja vu episodes are not followed by seizures, then you don't have epilepsy. Epilepsy isn't something that slowly comes on. You wouldn't get the symptoms without seizures of some type, in short order.

Those tastes and smells are common to migraine headache, too. Do you get the headaches as well? No? Then it's not migraine either.

Is it because you would rather not have health anxiety that you keep googling and become "certain" that you have something else?? Why not accept that THIS is what you have, and get better from it? Lots of help on here, read the success stories!

JustBenn
12-10-14, 18:37
Oh, Lord. Did you think I was blowing sunshine when I researched and reported back how 70% of people get deja vu? A common phenomena? A number of people then posted that they get it too, no big deal? And again, clearly, if your deja vu episodes are not followed by seizures, then you don't have epilepsy. Epilepsy isn't something that slowly comes on. You wouldn't get the symptoms without seizures of some type, in short order.

Those tastes and smells are common to migraine headache, too. Do you get the headaches as well? No? Then it's not migraine either.

Is it because you would rather not have health anxiety that you keep googling and become "certain" that you have something else?? Why not accept that THIS is what you have, and get better from it? Lots of help on here, read the success stories!

Hi, but do these 70% of them have them every other day? My Deja Vu started on the 19th/20th Sept, I read that it was a warning symptom that a seizure was on its way, they call it an Aura. Some also say that I'm having a seizure while the deja vu is happening. :/
They only last about a second if not that.

No unconscious seizures have happened yet, Would you call that a good sign?

And when I type "Deja Vu Symptoms" in on Google, it is the first thing that comes up on the first page.

MM
12-10-14, 18:46
I was just wondering, for clarity, what is your deja vu like? I think it IS an anxiety symptom! I get deja vu ALL the time, I actually made a thread recently and like, a year ago on it. I get it all day long for weeks at a time, and like you I also googled it and freaked out a bit. I did end up going to a neurologist at one point though, and everything is perfect. I hope that reassures you a bit :)

JustBenn
12-10-14, 19:32
I was just wondering, for clarity, what is your deja vu like? I think it IS an anxiety symptom! I get deja vu ALL the time, I actually made a thread recently and like, a year ago on it. I get it all day long for weeks at a time, and like you I also googled it and freaked out a bit. I did end up going to a neurologist at one point though, and everything is perfect. I hope that reassures you a bit :)

Thank You MM for telling me about your experience, :)
It's so scary, I'm not sure what it is, Mine is usually something that I know did actually happen, For example, I'm standing in the the toilet going for a wee, get a past sensation feeling of me having a wee, I've been using that toilet for 15 years, and when I'm arguing with my sisters, I get a feeling that we argued before about the same thing, which we probably did.

Glad all is perfect for you, that's all we ask for. what did you tell your neuro and what did he say?

Catherine S
12-10-14, 20:53
I think it would be unusual not to experience deja vu...why would we expect all our experiences to be one-off experiences when you think about it? There has to come a time when we will repeat on them at some point I guess. I also think that we can experience these feelings much more often when we live with anxiety as we do. Perhaps our senses are that much more acute than normal at these times?

ISB x

MM
13-10-14, 04:35
Thank You MM for telling me about your experience, :)
It's so scary, I'm not sure what it is, Mine is usually something that I know did actually happen, For example, I'm standing in the the toilet going for a wee, get a past sensation feeling of me having a wee, I've been using that toilet for 15 years, and when I'm arguing with my sisters, I get a feeling that we argued before about the same thing, which we probably did.

Glad all is perfect for you, that's all we ask for. what did you tell your neuro and what did he say?

My deja vu is kinda like that too. but I get like really gross physical symptoms that I can't put a name to, like a general feeling of blah, and I feel like everything is super familiar. It shoots my anxiety up because of the gross feeling. idk!

I told my neuro about the deja vu and about the dizziness I get daily and about the numbness I get in my face and hands a lot. We ended up doing an MRI of my brain just to rule out everything, and it came back clear. She said if there was something wrong something would've showed up there. She said that because there was nothing wrong, it was from my anxiety. It took some convincing but she's right.

JustBenn
13-10-14, 19:24
This quote from a NMP poster in 2009 helped ease the fears I have today.

"Auras are not a precursor to epilepsy itself, but are precursors in some people to seizures. Meaning its not a case of getting auras and later developing epilepsy say a few weeks later..but an aura can be a seizure warning...as in one in the next few hours/minutes.

Some people get auras alone, and this in fact can be a migraine headache but without the pain, which isn't too uncommon.

If its any consolation, I've had several of the fullout, scary epileptic fits in my lifetime that I'm on medication for. I had NO warning for any of them! No aura, nothing.

There is a kind of epilepsy called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy which doesn't look as dramatic typically as the conventionally thought of "thrashing on the floor stuff". In this case, the seizures take the form of several strange feelings, such as overwhelming deja vu, smelling something that isn't there, viewing the body from outside, etc. If you get these sorts of feelings a lot, its more likely to be anxiety but you could go to your doctor and see what they say.

Its such a grey area, the brain (haha) so these are generalizations, going on what my neurologist and books on the subject say."

tan235
13-10-14, 20:07
You know what, TLS isn't as bad as some other diseases you might not have! ;)

You don't have it.
Anxiety mimics almost every disease ... you need to think about logically - ha ha i laugh at myself, like i do.

but seriously if it were TLS you wouldn't be able to stop it from escalating.
That's what my Dr said.

Seizures don't go away from deep breathing or taking yourself out of it.
Not sure if you can or do but that's made me feel much better.

He also said after I told him my concern - 'What do you want to die from next?'

You can't die from TLS but he sees me doing my best to try die from something.

see - it's nothing your'e fine, laugh at yourself.
we are very funny.

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:41 ----------

Also your symptoms are not to go on epilepsy alone, De je vu in some cultures is a gift, I get it all the time, and when i get it i can say - now will phone and she does, and now Melanie will knock on the door and she does ----!!!!
The brain is so complicated and put on top our over active use it's bound to 'jerk' every now and then and let it!

You have anxiety - that's it. nothing more. :)
What else are your symptoms.
I thought I had it for ages.
I had dizzy feelings, vertigo, de je vu, rushing in my head, weird feelings.... just funny but guess what I've been having that for about 10 years!

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Thank you for your reply too!!!!!!

cerridwen
13-10-14, 21:32
I have déjà vu quite often. I find it comes and goes. It is a very common brain phenomenon that is not easily explainable but harmless.
Stop looking at the internet about health issues and medical conditions. You will not reassure yourself, you'll just get more anxious.

JustBenn
13-10-14, 23:51
I think it would be unusual not to experience deja vu...why would we expect all our experiences to be one-off experiences when you think about it? There has to come a time when we will repeat on them at some point I guess. I also think that we can experience these feelings much more often when we live with anxiety as we do. Perhaps our senses are that much more acute than normal at these times?

ISB x

I hate how anxiety mimics nearly all health worry symptoms. Quite annoying, yeah I suppose we do stuff over and over and repeat daily things.

How often do you get them?

Catherine S
14-10-14, 00:02
At least once a day I get a 'memory' of something from the past, but it always gives me a good feeling because the memory is usually a good one. Deja vu I get around once every couple of weeks...the feeling you describe, that I've said something to my other half and he has responded in the same way as before is one example. Try not to question it if you can...accept that the mind is incredibly complex, and much more so with anxiety.

ISB x

JustBenn
14-10-14, 00:06
At least once a day I get a 'memory' of something from the past, but it always gives me a good feeling because the memory is usually a good one. Deja vu I get around once every couple of weeks...the feeling you describe, that I've said something to my other half and he has responded in the same way as a Tim before. Try not to question it if you can...accept that the mind is incredibly complex, and much more so with an aniuous mind!

ISB x

I'm not sure if mine is even Deja vu anymore, its got to the point when every word I read or anything I think about, feels slightly familiar.
for example, If I read a quote, my head will remember a person that said exactly the same quote word for word. basically a memory, or if someone says the word Bike, I will automatically remember a dream I had a few days ago, and I was riding a bike, really odd.

I'm trying to ignore it now, and when ever I have it, I don't focus on it or question it as much anymore and try to forget about it. :)

Catherine S
14-10-14, 00:16
That's the best way...and the answer to a lot of anxious thoughts and ruminations, ignore most of it and these things will just fade away. Worrying about them just keeps them going. After 40 yrs of anxious thoughts please believe me when I say you will be ok. Take care.

ISB x