PDA

View Full Version : William Glasser

ogarchamplin
24-08-04, 13:39
My wife and i attended counseling last night because she has a hard time dealing with my OCD and PAD disorders. Anyhow the Therapist told me to read some books by William Glasser about therapy and how OCD and depression is something that we can control without meds and that it our own mind that does it and there is no medical proof of bi-polar or OCD. He told me that my OCD is just a fear of losing control or power. What does anyone think of this?

Harrisburg, Pa

Meg
24-08-04, 17:12
Hi,

I do not believe that OCD is JUST a fear of losing control or power but it does tend to appear as people are stressed and not feeling at their most in control or powerful. It's referred to as a self protective mechanism of the mind.

Like anxiety you can get over it without meds but meds can make it much easier - by masking symptoms.

It is a neurotic condition like anxiety rather than a psychosis so is not a mental illness so can mostly be controlled by your mind and self detemination.

Noone is saying that it is easy though.. just like controlling panic and anxiety.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

ogarchamplin
25-08-04, 00:19
If that is they case then why does my PDOC have me on meds?

Harrisburg, Pa

Meg
25-08-04, 15:36
Medications they really help relieve and control the symptoms and allow you to face and work on the issues.

Its not easy at all to do the exposure therapy without the help.

How does your OCD manifest itself ?

With OCD there are many theories of origin - your Pdoc may have a differing one from your therapist .

Also I don't think one answer fits all . This is a very individual condition and treatment is tailor made.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch