PDA

View Full Version : nothing to be afraid of surely?

ItShouldGetBetter
14-10-14, 20:33
Hi all
I'm extremely emetophobic and worrying a bit. My biology background tells me that worrying about this is like worrying about a piano falling on your head but..

I got a small papercut sort of thing from a lid on our heater. The heater is clean and hardly touched, but I'm worrying a stomach bug will infect me through my hand. I'm sure you have to ingest the virus to be affected but I guess I need to hear it from someone else to calm down.

Please reassure me!
Thanks
Joe

Sunflower2
14-10-14, 20:41
As a fellow extreme emetophobe, I can reassure you that it will be fine. I don't think I've ever heard of cuts causing stomach bugs! Unless you suck the cut to clean it, but even then the chance is absolutely minimal. I doubt mainly people touch the heater. Plus it gets hot, so germs would die?
Do not worry! I've sliced my thumb open before with a dirty scalpel and I was fine!

ItShouldGetBetter
14-10-14, 21:18
Thank you! Like I said I know ifs silly but I've gotten so anxious about it that I feel anxiety nausea now. Annoying vicious cycle! I'm glad someone understands

Sunflower2
14-10-14, 22:50
Anxiety nausea is the worst! It's fake but at the same time it seems real! I try to remind myself that this is nausea I am in control of, I just need to do my anxiety reducing techniques and that stops that nausea. I've also started to remind myself that if I really have nausea, I won't be worrying about it, I'll feel so bad I won't have the capacity to worry about it!