PDA

View Full Version : Tough day today

puzzledlass
16-10-14, 04:29
With the HA dragon on my back. I've been trying very hard to keep it off but it somehow manages to hop back on. Background, I'm a 30 year old woman.

For anyone that has read my threads before (thank you and sorry if you have!) I am concerned about bowel cancer. It all started with some rectal bleeding which happened a few times. I feel the need to get this all off my chest so here goes.

It all started about 6 months ago when I went toilet and wiped and saw what I thought was blood from the back. Being a HA sufferer I panicked and first thought naturally (to me) was bowel cancer. I went to the doctors and she didn't seem too concerned. I did a FOBT in March which came back clear.

This allayed my fears for awhile until it happened again a couple months later.
Since my bloods and FOBT were fine from March my doc didn't think more tests were needed. Again I managed to keep that fear at bay.

About a month ago it happened again. The first time was not a lot, the second time (in a month) was a bit more. I saw it when wiping after passing a motion one morning, that same afternoon I didn't poo at all but wiped the back and there was more. Bright red blood. I went to after hours because I was panicking and the doctor there didn't seem worried either. Suggested maybe I get a colonoscopy to put my mind at rest but didn't seem to think I needed it.

The next morning after I went to after hours I noticed a tiny bit on a stool. Panicked again and went to see my regular GP. She sent me for another CBC blood test and for another FOBT - both came back fine.

I was expecting blood to show and that I would get a referral to a gastro. Because everything was clear I will not get that. I'm in this state of not knowing at all why I've had the blood, which does cause my mind to wander a lot.

The dilemma I'm in: I have no idea what has caused the blood and I cannot afford to go private to see a gastro and get a colonoscopy. I feel quite stuck. My tummy has been weird the last couple days and I'm panicking. I've been a bit nauseous and I put it all down to bowel cancer. I don't want to die.

micaela_os
16-10-14, 05:11
I'm sorry your having a bad day. I know how horrible it can be when your mind wanders.. and you don't get the answers you were looking for.... but I think its important to try and remember that the Doctors know best. If they were really worried they would have sent you to the gastro. Maybe try to remember that when those thoughts creep into your mind... I know that is way easier said then done!!! I hope you start feeling better soon!

nomorepanic
16-10-14, 12:52
Did they examine you for piles and / or a fissure?

Nullus
16-10-14, 13:49
After 3 visits to my gastro I'm going in for my colonoscopy today.

He was the same way, ran blood work, did a FOBT, both came back fine. After continued issues with changes in bowel habbits ranging from normal to soft to flat to hard to rabbit pellets and no sign of improvement he finally agreed to try my iinsurance. .

The prep has been ok up until this morning.. my anxiety is through the roof. I can't take any medications.. I'm trying to gulp down this last cup of PEG3350.... barf, i jave a headache from not eating, and im pretty sure despite drinking constanly im dehydrated because I can't have anything from 6 am on.

I pushed for this so it's my own fault really. I can see why they don't hand these things out like candy on halloween.. it's pretty taxing on the body in my opinion.. I'm tired. I haven't had anything solid to eat woth color in it for 24 hours.. and my ass hurts from literally siting on the toliet for the last 12 hours.

If you really feel you need a colonoscopy don't leave his office until he gives you one. Seeing blood is plenty enough reason for them to investigate. Even if it is most likely just hemorrhoids. .

chickpea
16-10-14, 19:45
So...I have IBS and Crohn's.
I was diagnosed after a colonoscopy nearly 5 years ago.
Since then, I have not been asked to have another scope - my gastro is happy to rely on bloods, stool tests and what I tell him. I get blood from time to time - still, no-one gets worried and insists I need further investigation.
Recently, I've been feeling pretty rough - lower back pain, bloating, right handed pain, weight loss, bit of blood, stools every colour of the rainbow (except white and black!) and my IBD nurse still doesn't feel the need to see my urgently. Bear in mind that people with IBD are at increased risk of bowel cancer, you'll see what I'm getting at here.

Please be reassured that a small amount of irregular fresh red blood really doesn't mean there is anything wrong. If your doctor is not concerned, you don't need to be.

puzzledlass
17-10-14, 00:48
I've not been diagnosed with piles or a fissure, they would need to actually look for that and a gastro would need to do that - to see a gastro I would need a referral. If I were to get a referral, I would be at bottom of list and would most likely wait months, if not over a year.

It's not so simple as just asking for a colonoscopy, because there are criteria to be able to get one on public health system and I don't meet them. If I want one, I would have to pay thousands of dollars. Which I do not have. This is the dilemma I am in.

I know it's a typical HA sufferers first response to demand tests... but should I keep pushing if my doctor doesn't think I need one? I want the reassurance but I don't want to get stuck in the mindset of always wanting tests to put my mind at ease.

mummyanxious
17-10-14, 07:30
Can see you're not in uk so practices are probably different but piles and fissures are easy to check for and any gp here can do that. Not sure why they haven't done this as it sounds typical of either of those.

wnsos
17-10-14, 11:00
How did you get on, nullus?

Melon1
17-10-14, 11:08
I would like to reassure you as much as I can. I had the same as you a few years back and worried myself sick. I had blood after going to the loo with no pain. My GP did an examination and said it looked like piles. She prescribed some suppositories which did the trick.

My HA subsided for a time, but I really think due to the anxiety I then started getting abdominal pain, so this sent me into a frenzy and I ended up demanding a colonoscopy. It is not a very pleasant experience and I wouldn;t recommend it unless necessary. This of course showed up nothing!

I really think you have got something like piles or a slight tear. Cancer usually is old, dark red blood so I've been told, not fresh blood.

I really do believe that worrying exacerbates symptoms. Easier said than done I know. I am currently battling headaches and brain tumour fears!

You are really young to have cancer of the bowels. Yes, it can happen, but very very very rarely and judging from what you have written I really dont think you have anything serious.

Ask your GP to give you an internal exam to put your mind at rest. Have a warm bath with candles and relax. Go and get a full body massage. Drink lots of water and eat healthily. Do things you enjoy.

Really hope your day gets better.

X