PDA

View Full Version : What are racing thoughts like for you?

jiffnon
16-10-14, 16:12
I've never been sure if I experience racing thoughts or not. I often experience indistinct, background mind chatter when my mind isn't being stimulated by music or speech. Songs also tend to loop in my head constantly, and I often experience nonsense, seemingly independent thoughts streaming through my head during my half-asleep/awake state. However, I've never classified these as 'racing thoughts', more a product of an anxious, overtired mind. I've recently started Zoloft, and as somebody who fears psychosis etc my anxiety regarding this particular symptom has begun to flare up again. So I guess my question is how would YOU describe racing thoughts? Do mine sound like they fit the bill? RTs seem to be a very personal and individual experience rather than something that one can easily pin down.

Sunflower2
16-10-14, 16:34
For me it's thinking of a million things all at once. One thought leads to another then another then another. It happens so quickly that it can feel overwhelming and then causes a panic attack if I don't stop them. My mind wants to analyse everything at once and think of all the possible what ifs and what to do to find solutions to those. When my mind is at it's most active, it's like my thoughts are all shouting in my head and I can't escape and I feel like my head could explode. So yeah, that's what my racing thoughts are like!

gregcool
16-10-14, 17:38
Constant talking to myself,how do i feel ,what if ,is this normal,am i normal,chatterbox head all day,why do i feel like this wish i could be like the man in front of me instead of being me.analizing my thoughts and feelings all the time .feel like im going mad

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Also i would say in my head im like a tape recording looping over and over again,the same stuff all over all day,no rest

jiffnon
16-10-14, 18:27
Constant talking to myself,how do i feel ,what if ,is this normal,am i normal,chatterbox head all day,why do i feel like this wish i could be like the man in front of me instead of being me.analizing my thoughts and feelings all the time .feel like im going mad

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 15:49 ----------

Also i would say in my head im like a tape recording looping over and over again,the same stuff all over all day,no rest

Do you take medication, Greg?

gregcool
16-10-14, 18:46
Yep.200mg trazadone nightime and 5mg olanzipine nightime,dont think they help in any way

---------- Post added at 17:46 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

What about you jiff, do you take any meds other than your new ones

jiffnon
16-10-14, 19:08
Nope, just the Zoloft at the moment. I definitely feel less stressed than I did at the beginning of last week. My fear of going insane became so massive that I started worrying I was going to begin hallucinating at any moment.

Hope your meds start to work for you. How long have you been on them for?

gregcool
16-10-14, 19:48
Oh i cant see my meds doing anything for me.iv been on them for months now.i think its my lifestyle ,no job for 5 years no friends no cash,just about to move into my own flat,so isolation esp with the winter on the way and dark early nights.i need to sort my life right out

MrAndy
16-10-14, 20:36
My racing thoughts get stuck in a never ending loop,I'm obsessed about being anxious and it keeps me awake at night.Olanzapine has definitely helped with this though

jiffnon
16-10-14, 20:42
Oh i cant see my meds doing anything for me.iv been on them for months now.i think its my lifestyle ,no job for 5 years no friends no cash,just about to move into my own flat,so isolation esp with the winter on the way and dark early nights.i need to sort my life right out

Might it be worth going back to your GP/psychiatrist and trying out some new meds? They might at least help elevate you to a mood that'll help you to conquer your situation.