PDA

View Full Version : Virus heightening anxiety?

Izzie2494
17-10-14, 12:17
I've currently got a horrible virus, the usual runny nose, sore throat and nausea, something I would never have worried about two years ago, I was lying in bed last night and suddenly was overcome with panic, I felt really sick and I was worried about being sick as I have emetophobia, I was up from 1.30am-3.30am just feeling so sick and on edge it took me a while to calm down, can having a virus make your anxiety worse? Thank you on advance x

MrsNoggin
17-10-14, 12:58
Oh God, the worst! Poor you. Sending you get well vibes.

Scientifically, I have no idea. But logically I would say yes. Your defences are so busy elsewhere, your body is already fighting off something and it will leap straight to fight/flight/fudge it all up if something freaks you out a bit. And plus feeling sick makes fearing it so much worse! In my opinion and experience anyway. Like I said, not scientific knowledge here.

Izzie2494
17-10-14, 13:26
Thank you for your reply, yes it is the absolute worst! I've noticed a rise in my anxiety Every time I'm ill so I think they may be linked! Hope you're well. X

GingerFish
19-10-14, 13:14
My panics are always worse when I'm ill, except for when I had pneumonia but that was only because I was too ill to panic lol. I had the flu last week and the first day or two when I was bed ridden, my anxiety was away probably because I was so ill but the day after that my anxiety came back full throttle and that made me realise in a way that I was getting better and back to normal if that makes any sense?

My anxiety goes through the roof when I have an ear infection because I already have vertigo but it gets a lot worse then and that leads to me feeling dizzy, sick and like I am going to pass out which brings on a panic.

Any illness that brings on sickness or nausea makes me panic too as I have a fear of puking.

Retsgard
25-10-14, 21:07
I feel this.

I've been Ill for a couple of days and now I'm feeling a bit better I'm getting the anxiety. Partly I think due to not burning off enough adrenaline laying on the sofa instead of being active, coupled with 'scanning' my health making me look inwards and more sensitive.

:)