PDA

View Full Version : cymbalta/duloxetine

joy
01-01-07, 09:23
What would you do if you were me.I have been on Cymbalta since Aug. No result on 30mg,so increased to 60mg and after 4 weeks the door opened and I shot thro into normality, After 3 weeks of feeling great the anxiety started again but the GP and I put it down to the fact my dog had died. The dose was put up to 90mg and after 3 weeks i felt better again and even went away to prague for a short holiday, Coped with xmas ok but from Boxing Day I've crashed into anxiety again. I think I have to make a decision now,to carry on and hope it passes. give up on Cymbalta and try something else altho I have been on various meds over this last year and had horrendeous side effects and nothing worked. Cymbalta has been the best when its been working but its erracticness is wearing and disappointing Any adice please

ConfusedByLife
01-01-07, 14:31
Hey Joy

Having been on a number of meds including cymbalta for the past 6 years (cymbalta didnt do much for me) i have come to realise that meds only mask the real problems. If you can I would try to go down the CBT route and stay awya from meds. I know how good these medicines can make u feel. My anti-depressant of choice is Effexor and at 1st it was a godsend as I felt great. Now the effects have worn off and I find myself facing the same problems I did 6 years ago. Whatever you choose don't lose sight of the fact that these drugs only offer a short term "break" from symptoms at the best of times in order for you to create a long term plan for coping with your problems. Also as you point out these drugs can be very erratic and effectiveness differs widely from person to person. These drugs will not work overnight so if you do change drugs or doses stick with it. Good luck with watever you choose. (PS wish me luck as im currently coming off Effexor and trying to go med free. Another downside of medication-these tablets are a nightmare to come off)

joy
01-01-07, 16:04
thanks for the reply. firstly as i've been on the meds since august so i think i have given it time to decide whether to work or not. secondly i dont think i have any problems that CBT could help with as my anxiety seems to be caused by a hormonal/chemical imbalance and i was fine and balanced on Seroxat until I stupidly decide to come off it now it doesnt work for me and so it sems nor does anything else. Of course I wish you luck with coming of Effexor. I came off Seroxat with no trouble until 3 months later when I crashed but no-one can answer whether it was seroxat withdrawal or the original problem . still debating what to do, effexor has as bad a press as seroxat but like seroxat is a miracle for some

Nel
01-01-07, 16:58
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">thanks for the reply. firstly as i've been on the meds since august so i think i have given it time to decide whether to work or not. secondly i dont think i have any problems that CBT could help with as my anxiety seems to be caused by a hormonal/chemical imbalance and i was fine and balanced on Seroxat until I stupidly decide to come off it now it doesnt work for me and so it sems nor does anything else. Of course I wish you luck with coming of Effexor. I came off Seroxat with no trouble until 3 months later when I crashed but no-one can answer whether it was seroxat withdrawal or the original problem . still debating what to do, effexor has as bad a press as seroxat but like seroxat is a miracle for some

<div align="right">Originally posted by joy - 01 January 2007 : 16:04:21</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

It doesn't make any difference what the cause of your anxiety is, CB therapy is proven to help sufferers, and indeed the relapse rates as opposed to meds as a stand alone treatment are far more favourable for CBT.
It's worth adding (for the benefit of anyone reading who might think that CBT isn't worth a try) that the well bandied around 'chemical imbalance', isn't proven - i.e. it is pure speculation, there is no test for a chemical imbalance so there is in fact no such diagnosis.