PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with me???

Junot
19-10-14, 17:22
My anterior chest wall and upper abdomen is achy since last Tuesday/Wednesday. The achy sensation is stronger in the regions of the mediastinum, epigastrium and all along the diaphragm. My abdomen is bloated as well, about two times it's normal size. I have been experiencing shortness of breath and dizzy spells. Some of the dizzy spells occur when I stand up, often accompanied by a hot flash in the shoulders and back of the head.

I have been in the ER Wednesday due to palpitations, nausea, shortness of breath and chest symptoms similar to the ones described above. I had two ECGs done, one in the morning, at home, and one late at night at the hospital. Both have come back normal. The ER doctor has put the symptoms down to anxiety and I was given an oral solution of diazepam and discharged.

I haven't been checking my BP or heart rate lately in order to comply with my GP's recommendations, so I am not able to tell what it has been like these past few days. What I can tell is that at my GP's office (Tuesday) and at the hospital (Wednesday) my BP and heart rate were normal.

I am giving my all to believe this is all anxiety-related, but at the same time I am having a hard time believing it because the symptoms are not going away with anything. So far, I have tried benzodiazepines (they are known to have muscle relaxant activity), an antacid, drinking tepid water and deep breathing relaxation techniques. Nothing has worked.

I think that a chest X-ray, blood tests specific to cardiac enzymes and electrolytes (Ca, Na, K) as well as a gasometry should have been performed at the hospital. On many other occasions on which I went to the ER I had them done. Not this time though. At least, if I were a doctor and I wanted my patient reassured (and myself as a doctor!), I would have referred my patient to further testing.

A few moments ago I called the helpline, I described all of the above to the nurse and she told me that - according to her assessment - this isn't an emergency situation, but to see my GP in a time frame of three days.

Can anxiety be the cause of all these symptoms? Can you tell me that, out of your own personal experience? Doctors and nurses seem to agree that anxiety can be this powerful.

Post scriptum:

1. I am not medicated (no antidepressant). I just take a benzodiazepine whenever I feel like I am going into full panic mode.

2. I'm seeing my GP again (!!!) tomorrow due to this.

3. As some of you might know, I have an appointment with a (new) psychiatrist on Thursday.

Fishmanpa
19-10-14, 18:49
Junot,

You've been posting for over 18 months with the same symptoms/fears concerning your heart. You've been checked more than I ever have and I have cardio vascular disease! I'd be surprised if they find anything physically wrong.

I'm glad to see you're seeking help from the psychological aspect as that's where, IMO, the problems originate from thus causing the physical symptoms you experience. Good luck this week. I hope you find a good doctor that you feel comfortable with.

Positive thoughts

Junot
19-10-14, 21:57
Thanks. What you say makes perfect sense. However these symptoms are so disturbing that I lose every bit of rationality still left on my mind. Hence this constant need for reassurance.